I wonder if I just have a corpus luteum cyst? What do you know about these? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In my obsessing (blush) I came across this condition for causing that sharp off/on pain in my left ovary area.  I read of this being a way that some women know they are pregnant - but does that mean it is a sign of pregnancy?  or can they occur when you're NOT pregnant?  I don't think I've ever had this before, at least not when i wasn't pregnant. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 PM

I remember, once several years ago I was convinced I was pregnant (I really wanted to be), but I was having all these symptoms that were very foreign to my normal cycle. The I have a sudden and very painful start to my period. I went to Planned Parenthood to have them check me out and they told me it sounded like I had a cyst. I never got confirmation that that was what happened but I can tell you that when your head is already in pregnancy land a cyst is definitely a major fake out!

SAHM to DS stillheart.gif 7/1/2010, So excited for #2 due at the end of February!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Hi Candy... I saw your other post about the negative blood test.  So basically, a corpus luteum cyst has nothing to do with pregnancy.  It's when the corpus luteum stays "alive" past the normal length of your luteal phase (generally 12-14 days), continuing to produce progesterone.  This keeps your basal body temperature high, like you are pregnant and can therefore cause all other types of symptoms like you are pregnant.  They are benign and usually resolve on their own within a few weeks at which point you'll have a period.  Often a care provider can palpate to confirm, but sometimes an ultrasound is used.  They are not common, but it is thought that every woman will have one in her reproductive career.

Do you chart your basal body temp and cervical fluid?  If not, then you cannot be certain when you ovulated and therefore you cannot be certain when a pregnancy test would be accurate (even a blood test) or when to truly expect AF.  The most common cause of late AF is late O, which can be caused by many normal things like illness, injury, travel, stress, diet and exercise changes, etc.  When O is delayed it is not uncommon to have a few other symptoms from these hormonal fluctuations.

If AF does not show in a week, I would test again.  If you're still getting a BFN and no AF, then you could consider making an appointment to see if you have a cyst.  But likely AF will show by then.  Keep us posted!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 03-07-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Letileon and Jaimee.  Wow, a cyst would really suck!  That's a horrible psych-out!  I don't know if I'm just in denial, or to keep trusting my gut.  I don't chart my temps, but I have tracked AF consistently for over a year now.  I had definite ewcm on cd13/14, but I wasn't going to assume anything... but then on cd22 I had the most bizarre moment of intense nausea that started the obsession.  My cycle has averaged 27 days, according to the app I use to track it. 

What you explained about progesterone would make sense, though, if it is a cyst.  I suspect progesterone has dramatically increased, from what I've read about it affecting other diabetics.  My insulin requirements have tripled this week. 

Another reason I think it might stilkl be pg'cy is that with my son, the hCG levels were so low and slow to rise, I was told to expect a mc, but after months of waiting for that, it was finally obvious that he was thriving. 

I think my most likely dread is a chemical pregnancy, enough to have caused some symptoms but now fading.  A few days ago, I was feeling more 'full' and lightheaded, and weak, than I do now.  BUT today I have mild nausea and couldn't even eat my favorite Taco Bell for lunch.  And while I was having a lot of left-side twinges the other day, they were also in other places, including stabby nipples, and more on the right side today.

I don't want to sound like I'm arguing with you.  Just continuing my obsession until I see AF, if that's the case!  I really appreciate your knowledge and help trying to figure this out.  ((still hoping))

Old 03-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

It's certainly possible and just too early to tell!  FX!!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Tags
Trying To Conceive
User Tag List