What counts as low for progesterone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had my progesterone tested this past week on 7dpo (based on temp and opk, not cycle day) and it was 6.4.  According to my doctor this is within normal, but according to her they consider anything between 1.7-27 as normal.  I have found some conversation that it should be above 5 or 10 to be normal.  What have other people heard, particularly those of you out there with low progesterone?  How low does it have to be before MDs/REs are usually willing to supplement?  Looking for a little guidance.  Thanks!

I am 29, married to DH for 2 years with 2 crazy pups and, after what feels like a huge wait (shorter than many, longer than wanted!), we are expecting our first little one April 2013.joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would say that is on the low side.  I had a short LP and on 7 dpo (pretty much the day before AF would arrive) progesterone level was 4.2.  The short LP made my progesterone drop too early and bring on AF too early.  Vitamin B6 helped my LP go from 7 days to 11 days long, fixing this problem.  But I also took natural progesterone cream this last time after getting a BFP to be on the safe side because of having an early m/c back in Nov.

I have also heard that progesterone level varies tremendously at even different times of the same day, and it is not an accurate test.  So confusing.

Sending lots of luck to you.

Me (30), DH (33), DS1 (5), DS2 (2), and surprise DS3 due January 2015!
Will always remember our angel babies - Jan 2008 and Nov 2011
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Mine was low too.  My fertility doctor wanted it to be at least 11, and others think 12 is the minimum.  I take Vitex and I do acupuncture and yoga for the stress relief and that helped raise it a bit, but it was still low.  My doctor prescribed Clomid to raise the progesterone and it seems to be working.  The other day it was 22.9.  There are many things you can do to bring it up.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Tags
Trying To Conceive
User Tag List