Tampons? Pads? What do you use? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What do you use to catch AF??
Tampons 3 50.00%
Pads 10 100.00%
Cups ( the keeper, lunettes etc) 23 100.00%
Other?? (please explain) 5 83.33%
Panty liners 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a tampon girl ( pads at night greensad.gif )but thinking of swapping to cups...
Recommendations??
Also thought it would be interesting to see what we all use while waiting for that BFP

treehugger.gifHappy Vegetarian Gal and geek.gif Techie Man-   heartbeat.gifNewly Wed!!!heartbeat.gif  Expecting "Albi" Christmas 2012 diaper.gif

Looking forward to homebirth.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 04-07-2012, 08:39 AM

I use the Diva cup and absolutely love it! I would always forget about tampons and leave them in way to long (maybe tmi, haha), but the Divacup can be left in for 12 hours with zero worry about TSS. I love it!

Me + DH  partners.gif And E baby.gif makes three! 3.2.13 stillheart.gif

#3 of 15 Old 04-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Diva cup with a cloth pad backup on my heaviest days, b/c I spot a tiny bit of "excess" even with the cup in place, then just a cloth pad on my lighter days, b/c it is just spotting then, really.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
#4 of 15 Old 04-09-2012, 07:39 PM

I use Instead, a silacone disposable cup with cloth pads- They're supposed to be changed every twelve hours or so but I use one per AF, and wash it off. I should get a real cup, but dang they're hard to find, and I don't want to drop the cash on one that I don't like. Could any cup users on here tell me how diva compares? 

Do you rememberteapot2.GIF the feelingdizzy.gif you got dog2.gifwhen you could use as moon.gif manyread.gif stickers love.gif as cat.gifyou wool.gif wanted? 2whistle.gif thumb.gif  I have that now. namaste.gif Thanks for the smileys! lactivist.gif intactivist.gif

#5 of 15 Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 PM

I use the Diva Cup.  LOVE it.  The little pointy thing on the end sticks out sometimes if my cervix is really low, and it can be awkward to put in sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it for tampons or pads again EVER!  I hate pads, anyway.  Used tampons for years, but then read about all the chemicals in them, thought about the waste they create, and realized that they were costing me a lot more than a one time fee on a reusable cup.  Also, cramps are practically nonexistent for me now that I use the Diva Cup (as compared to frequent and strong with tampons).  I don't bleed quite as much either.  Tampons actually can cause you to bleed more/for longer.  I love that I don't have to take the Diva Cup out every couple of hours or so like I would with changing tampons.  I usually check it every 6-10 hours, depending on how busy I am and how heavy of a flow I'm having that day.  it's so nice to have it in over night and not worry about changing it!  :)   All of the reusable cups have good reviews, as far as I know.  A friend of mine uses the Moon Cup, and swears by it.

-
#6 of 15 Old 04-09-2012, 09:29 PM

I love my Diva Cup and use cloth pads to supplement when I feel like it. I feel cloth pads are way more comfortable than plastic ones ever were. I highly recommend the Diva Cup over tampons any day. No chemicals, reusable, more comfortable, longer lasting, what's not to love? 

#7 of 15 Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post

I use the Diva Cup.  LOVE it.  The little pointy thing on the end sticks out sometimes if my cervix is really low, and it can be awkward to put in sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it for tampons or pads again EVER!  I hate pads, anyway.  Used tampons for years, but then read about all the chemicals in them, thought about the waste they create, and realized that they were costing me a lot more than a one time fee on a reusable cup.  Also, cramps are practically nonexistent for me now that I use the Diva Cup (as compared to frequent and strong with tampons).  I don't bleed quite as much either.  Tampons actually can cause you to bleed more/for longer.  I love that I don't have to take the Diva Cup out every couple of hours or so like I would with changing tampons.  I usually check it every 6-10 hours, depending on how busy I am and how heavy of a flow I'm having that day.  it's so nice to have it in over night and not worry about changing it!  :)   All of the reusable cups have good reviews, as far as I know.  A friend of mine uses the Moon Cup, and swears by it.

I had that problem as well and read that you can just clip the end.  I did (not flush with the cup, but fairly far up).  What I lost in convenience (of having the end tab) I more than made up for in comfort.  I was totally scared to ruin it but it worked well--- something to consider :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megmoira View Post

I use Instead, a silacone disposable cup with cloth pads- They're supposed to be changed every twelve hours or so but I use one per AF, and wash it off. I should get a real cup, but dang they're hard to find, and I don't want to drop the cash on one that I don't like. Could any cup users on here tell me how diva compares? 

I used Instead years ago (before I was pg with DD who is now 13).  In between DD & DS I used a combo of Instead and cloth pads.  After DS I tried the Diva Cup and I have to say it is approximately one BILLION times better than the Instead.  For me, at least, the Instead cup was easy to get messy with--- because it is flatter and you need to compress it to remove it, there was always some mess.  The Dive Cup is a much more cup shape so when you pull it out it retains the liquid better.  It did take a little to get used to and if it isn't comfortable to start really work at it--- rotate it around a bit, try different depths, etc...  Cannot say enough good things about it!

#8 of 15 Old 04-11-2012, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I trimmed the tip on mine a little bit, too. I used fingernail clippers since it was easier to "sculpt" a smooth edge with that than to just chop it off with scissors and leave a big "corner." If it's bothering you, and you want to trim, I recommend trimming just the tiniest of pieces off first and then trying it out again. It was incredible to me how uncomfortable it was when I first got it, but then I removed probably 1/8" or maybe a little less, and now i can't feel it.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
#9 of 15 Old 04-11-2012, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I also feel evangelical about the Diva Cup. I got mine in spring of 2002 and just realized I've had it for TEN YEARS. I love thinking about all the money I haven't spent on pads and tampons.

Foster mom, married to DH (foster dad!)

#10 of 15 Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 PM

I use cloth pads or a Moon cup with cloth liner.  The thing I love about the cup is that I can use it overnight so I don't wake up feeling all messy and I never stain my sheets any more.  I also trimmed the tip quite a bit which made it much more comfortable and it's still easy to remove without the tip.  LOVE it!

winner.jpgfamilybed2.gifsewmachine.gifcd.gif Homeschooling, happy, messy-housed mama to my 2 wild boys fencing.gif 10/05 and 9/08, and my sweet little girl babygirl.gif 2/13 and blessed to be married to the best guy for me since 12/96.
#11 of 15 Old 04-30-2012, 02:04 PM

I use cloth pads and liners.

joy.giflurk.gif

#12 of 15 Old 04-30-2012, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I currently switch back and forth between tampons and pads, but I prefer a cup. I had the Diva, but lost it. I need to get it replaced but want to go with something a little bit shorter and just haven't gotten around to deciding what I want and ordering it.

There was a learning curve and it took me a bit to figure out how to place it comfortably, but once I figured it out it was so much more comfortable than either a pad or tampons.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#13 of 15 Old 05-01-2012, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to be a Keeper girl, but after 13 years it was really not working properly anymore and when I went to replace it my order never went through. I called and emailed and got no response, so I guess they're out of business. I got a Diva cup and LOVE it! smile.gif I also trimmed the stem. And thinking of all the saved money and waste over the years makes me feel really good inside.

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#14 of 15 Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 AM

Thanks! I'll have to order one now. treehugger.gif

Do you rememberteapot2.GIF the feelingdizzy.gif you got dog2.gifwhen you could use as moon.gif manyread.gif stickers love.gif as cat.gifyou wool.gif wanted? 2whistle.gif thumb.gif  I have that now. namaste.gif Thanks for the smileys! lactivist.gif intactivist.gif

#15 of 15 Old 05-31-2012, 10:53 AM

Another vote for Diva Cup!  I love mine, and have used it for over 6 years so far.  I am thrilled with how much money and waste I have saved so far.

I also trimmed the pointy bit off - I actually trimmed it flush with the cup.  I never used the pointy bit for removal anyway.  For removal, I bear down first (I can get the cup almost to the surface this way), then I pinch the cup between two fingers (index & middle) to pull it out.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

Tags
Trying To Conceive

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page