Can I chart temp if I never get a full night's sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-13-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are TTC our third and have lost 3 strong and healthy embryos transferred after IVF so far. My cycles after the birth of our twins are shorter than before pregnancy- I used to be 27 days, now I am 25 days. I just read TCOYF, and wonder if my luteal phase is too short and it is affecting my ability to implant the embryo. I'd like to chart for a few months and see exactly when I ovulate and how long my luteal phase is, but one of our kids is a terrible sleeper and I literally NEVER get a full night's sleep. In the book, Weschler emphasizes that you must get at least 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep before taking your temp at the same time every morning. That's not going to happen for me. 

Has anyone tried to chart temp while sleeping erratically? How critical is the uninterrupted sleep requirement? Is it possible to chart temp with erratic sleep? 

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 04-13-2012, 05:47 PM

I found charting worked really well even when sleeping erratically. I have a terrible sleeper too so I know exactly where you're coming from. What I ended up doing is taking my temperature the first time I was woken up that could actually count as morning (often between 5 or 5:30) and then again when we were awake for the day. I'd use whichever temperature came after the most sleep. I know that's not even close to the recommendations but I was always able to see a nice temperature shift and pinpoint ovulation pretty accurately.

I really think it's worth a try for a couple months. It really helped me understand what was going on with my body, and deal with the frustration of taking longer than average to conceive. hug2.gif

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#3 of 4 Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My dd2 is still nursing and co-sleeping.... I think I wake up at least once an hour (I am such a light sleeper now, I wake to cover the girls, I wake to nurse (usually 2-6 times a night), I wake to move the girls..... I just wake a lot).  Anyways, my chart has a  shift once O has happened.  Here is my chart to show you....

I think if you get out of bed, that is a different story.... I co-sleep, so I just roll over and tend to the girls and never have to get up (DH takes DD1 to the bathroom if she needs).

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2a8bea/">My Ovulation Chart</a>

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 4 Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Carlin and Chloe'sMama. I'm so glad to hear temp charting can still work. I'm going to start tonight!

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page