Absolutely NO chance of fertilization two days after ovulation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-16-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Everything I read tells me the sperm have to be waiting for the egg in order for fertilization to occur,but I'm wondering if anyone has ever fallen pregnant when they had intercourse after ovulation?

I'm pretty sure there's no chance,but I'm interested. My DH was away over my fertile time,but came home two days post O, and we bd. I'm thinking I'll not even think about this cycle, but just thought there might be someone with a different experience?

I'll post this over in Pregnancy too.

Thanks.

Wife partners.gif and mama of five grouphug.gif,  Alfie angel2.gif 12/10  and Louie angel2.gif 6/11, CPangel1.gif5/12, CP angel1.gif3/14
#2 of 4 Old 04-16-2012, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pretty sure the egg can only live 12-24 hours after being released without getting fertilized. Sorry.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 4 Old 04-17-2012, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Yes, the egg can only live for a maximum of 24 hours, but are you sure you know when you ovulated? Are you going by cramping or just by an OPK test? If the latter, the OPKs pick up your LH surge, which stimulates ovulation, but they do not pick up ovulation itstelf. By the time you actually ovulate, your OPK will be back to a negative. Most women ovulate anywher from 24-36 hours after a positive OPK, but it can be as few as 12 hours and as many as 48 hours, depending on the woman, her age, etc.

So, if you are absolutely sure you know when you ovulated, then there's no chance. But if not, there's a small chance.

Also, the sperm does not necessarily have to be waiting on the egg; the fastest swimmers reach the tubes in half an hour, and most make it within 12 hours.

Mother to one dd .
#4 of 4 Old 04-17-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for your replies.

Yes,I'm temping and use opk's and have ovulation pain. I've also been charting for close to 5 years so I have a reasonable idea of what's going on. I have pretty much accepted that there would be no chance,but I thought I'd ask around anyway.

I've been ttc for a couple of years (I'm 45 so age is an issue) and it's a bummer to miss a month! However it will be nice not to stress about symptoms and being careful for the 2ww.

Thanks again.

Wife partners.gif and mama of five grouphug.gif,  Alfie angel2.gif 12/10  and Louie angel2.gif 6/11, CPangel1.gif5/12, CP angel1.gif3/14

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page