Hi - new around here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, decided to join at the recommendation of a friend. I hope you will be patient with me as I learn all the terms, abbreviations, etiquette and such. :)  Here's a brief bit about me and why I'm posting:

I'm 28, been married 2 years and TTC 9 months (never been on ABC though).  I've always had very painful periods and sometimes painful ovulation, so always wondered if I'd run into fertility problems at some point in life.  I've had blood tests multiple times in the past few years but they didn't see any problems.  I went to an ob/gyn recently and she said I shouldn't worry about my fertility until I've been TTC for at least a year (easy for her to say!)  She also wants me to learn a new method of charting, which I will start next month. I asked her about testing for DH and she said it wasn't necessary.

Here's what I've tried so far:

-We chart BBT and CM and have sex when I'm fertile. My cycles are regular and seemingly normal, though CM is hard to read sometimes.

-I take prenatals, flaxseed, chasteberry

-Try to exercise regularly but I'm kinda lax about it. I have gained about 15lbs since we got married, though I'm not overweight.

-Eat well; no processed foods

Wondering if there's any general advice any of you have for me as I go through this process.  Anything from dealing with doctors to how to cope emotionally would be appreciated. And should I keep begging hubby to take some supplements (any recommendations)??

#2 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 AM

Welcome! I would rule out any food intolerances/allergy. Also, if you have resources to go to an osteopath/chiropractor for getting adjusted that can also help. If you are concerned also, acupuncture can help as well. The other thing that comes up off the top of my head is to just enjoy! :) Also, perhaps a midwife rather than doctor?

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#3 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, organicviolin!  I didn't really know food allergies and spinal health can play a big role. Do you recommend going to a chiropractor who specifically deals with fertility concerns, or would any chiropractor do?

#4 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 AM

Well if you go to an osteopath they do it all, and can be your GP as well. That's who we see. Great guy! Otherwise, any chiropractor could work. Food allergies cause inflammation, so that can definitely make things trickier etc

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#5 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Very helpful advice; thank you!

#6 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM

My pleasure! Enjoy ;-)

#7 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I disagree with your doctor about getting DH tested - I would get it done now!  My DH and I have been TTC for a year and found out he had no sperm - azoospermia.  A sperm analysis cost us about $40 and I am glad we did it so we can make plans about the direction to go with trying to have children.

What do your BBT range from in the lows and highs? Also have you had your TSH, total T3, and Free T4 tested?  Sometimes your TSH (a thyroid hormone) will be fine but your free T4 will be low and you need a high enough free T4 to keep everything running smoothly. 

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#8 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post

I disagree with your doctor about getting DH tested - I would get it done now!  My DH and I have been TTC for a year and found out he had no sperm - azoospermia.  A sperm analysis cost us about $40 and I am glad we did it so we can make plans about the direction to go with trying to have children.

What do your BBT range from in the lows and highs? Also have you had your TSH, total T3, and Free T4 tested?  Sometimes your TSH (a thyroid hormone) will be fine but your free T4 will be low and you need a high enough free T4 to keep everything running smoothly. 

Yeah, I don't agree with her either but I always get nervous about getting pushy with doctors in the moment. I probably need to go back in, or to get a new doctor.  By the way are they things you can do to encourage sperm growth once you find out that it's a problem. like supplements or meds or anything?

My temps are whacky and I've long suspected low thyroid.  My pre-O temps go all the way down to 96.6 and after the high range lately is about 98.  I've been tested for thyroid problems about 2-3 times, and they always tell me the results are normal--but I don't know what normal means.  I'll have to ask about the T4 levels, I don't know if I was tested for that.

#9 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Yes, there are some vitamin supplements to help like FertilAid for Men and Countboost are what my husband is taking from Fairhaven.  We aren't sure if it will make much difference in my husband's case if he is missing a connection in the male plumbing or has some other form of testicular failure.  Being he is 40 years old, there may be little we can do.  We are still waiting to figure things out.  Having gone through this experience though it makes me recommend that the man at least get tested to make sure there isn't an issue with the sperm to begin with. Can't make a baby without them!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/LilacVioletIris is the link to my BBT charts.  My lows go down to 96.0 and highs to almost 98.  If my temp is 98.6 degrees, then I know I have a fever, lol.

I am looking into iodine supplementation to see if I can get my temps up because I have been on thyroid meds and still have wacky and super painful periods.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page