Science and superstition: what are you using in TTC? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought it would be fun to read about what we are all doing while TTC: supplements, charting, BD etc. Some of them are rooted in science whereas others come from old wives tales and I'm just curious to see what everyone else is up to.

Supplements: taking a multivitamin, selenium, vit E, vit C, calcium w/ magnesium, vit B complex and niacin; drinking red raspberry leaf tea 2-3 cups a day. I've read about Mucinex, vitex, and bee pollen but have not taken those. I might pick up some Mucinex today though since O is around the corner.

Charting: temps, cm, cervical position, also using Wondfo OPKs

BD: would love to have a boy so trying to BD every 24 hours or so around O, not moving after BD for as long as possible to give his swimmers plenty of time! No specific positions, have not heard anything about one being better than any others...

My weight is good, maybe even on the low end. I'm exercising regularly, though after O I try not to exercise as strenuously, just in case, don't want to make it too hard for the egg to implant by jumping around too much winky.gif

My eating habits are ok. Not super healthy but better than average imho.

I'm the only one taking all these steps, DH is just going about life as usual. If we don't get a BFP this month I may ask him to start taking some supplements as well.

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif
#2 of 6 Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM

At the risk of sounding completely sarcastic, we're BD-ing a whole lot! joy.gif Ok, not more than normal, but we've pulled the goalie, so lets see how long it takes.

Also, I'm charting my temp, cm, cervix position and texture, eating healthy (yummy) foods, taking a prenatal vitamin and taking daily walks with my dog. If we have some trouble, I'll decrease my tea consumption or switch to herbal teas. I am only having 2 pints of half-caff iced tea, so it shouldn't be too much caffeine. 

Do you rememberteapot2.GIF the feelingdizzy.gif you got dog2.gifwhen you could use as moon.gif manyread.gif stickers love.gif as cat.gifyou wool.gif wanted? 2whistle.gif thumb.gif  I have that now. namaste.gif Thanks for the smileys! lactivist.gif intactivist.gif

#3 of 6 Old 05-31-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Megmoira, yay, thanks for reviving this thread! joy.gif I've thought about the tea consumption, I'm a big tea drinker. I like to think that women in Japan, Korea, China, etc. have been conceiving forever and drinking tons of tea, but maybe that's not true...? Just out of curiosity, when did you start TTC and when did you start charting?

AFM: I did end up taking the Mucinex last cycle, didn't see a whole lot of difference in amt or quality of EWCM so will probably skip it this cycle. I started taking vitex and am curious to see what effect it will have. Also ordered some sperm friendly lubricant to help out the little swimmers. Lastly, I've decided to cut back on my exercise, that's a hard one though, we'll see if it doesn't add stress to my life, which would be counter productive as well...

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif
#4 of 6 Old 05-31-2012, 11:44 AM

I started charting in 2008, when I was between the hormonal and copper IUD's. I went back to charting when I had the IUD removed this March, to prevent conception until my wedding this May. We decided to start trying once we got hitched, but we were 2 dpo at that point, so this is the first cycle it will be possible. smile.gif

As far as the tea thing goes, I heard coffee wasn't great for ttc because of its caffeine, but as I said before IF we encounter trouble, I'll change that. I figure stressing myself out isn't worth it.

Do you rememberteapot2.GIF the feelingdizzy.gif you got dog2.gifwhen you could use as moon.gif manyread.gif stickers love.gif as cat.gifyou wool.gif wanted? 2whistle.gif thumb.gif  I have that now. namaste.gif Thanks for the smileys! lactivist.gif intactivist.gif

#5 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 02:30 AM

We used Pre-Seed, my Diva cup, and I laid with my hips propped up on a pillow for a few minutes afterward as a means to help the little guys out. I gave up coffee (ugh) and replaced it with Rooibos tea, which is supposed to really good when pregnant because it has no caffeine and doesn't interfere with your absorption of iron. I started taking prenatal vitamins around 3 months before we officially started TTC, and I also started drinking these kale and coconut smoothies that are absolutely delicious and bursting with vitamins.

I've heard that people have found success using Robitussin, but I don't like the idea of taking any medication so we didn't use that.

I love the really strange old wives tales about pregnancy but I don't seem to know many about TTC.

#6 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks for the interesting thread!

Regarding tea above ... the antioxidants in green tea actually inhibit an enzyme that metabolizes folic acid. This is why they may have some anti-cancer effects, but not good news for those of us TTC! I have been staying away from green tea for about 6 months now and drinking only herbals (I don't like black tea).

Here's the rundown of my habits. I am definitely on the data-driven side of this conversation smile.gif

Data: Have been keeping track of AF since coming off the pill in Dec 2011 ... half the reasoning was to help DH schedule his business travel so as not to miss a fertile window. I started temping about 2 months ago, which revealed a somewhat short LP, and also started recording CM and position at least in the middle of my cycles. Just ordered a bunch of Wondfo OP strips and will start using them next month if we are not lucky this time around.

Supplements/Meds: standard prenatal, fish oil, started taking a B complex at the start of this cycle in the hopes of lengthening LP. If that does not help, I will talk with my PCP about Vitex vs progesterone. Avoiding anything which can mess with mucous production unless in AF, which means no antihistamines. I have pretty bad pollen allergies so last weekend was rough! (here in New England we currently have a thin yellow film of pollen coating everything in sight right now).

BD: We don't care about gender so just do it when, where, and how we want. Aiming for every day in my window, plus the day before and after just in case. I typically lay with my legs up or in a "situp" position for 15-30 min after to put gravity on the little dudes' sides - we figure that can't hurt! Also avoiding lube including saliva in the window, which took some adapting to!

Living Life: I cut back on alcohol when we started, but still have a beer a couple times a week. DH is a homebrewer and we love craft beer, so it's hard to sit on the slidelines and would raise some questions from friends which we are not yet ready to answer. I'll stop entirely with a BFP. Still have my one cup of coffee in the morning. DH does most of our cooking and likes getting adventurous with veggies. He has declared this the "year of Kale" so we are trying a lot of that in different ways LOL. We eat meat and have "safe list" fish once or twice a week but I am staying away from tuna and sushi/sashimi which has become oh so tempting. I am generally active and have not changed that routine much since TTC. I ride my bike to work several days a week as my schedule permits, go riding with friends once a week, and am trying to motivate myself to get back into running since I signed up for a 5k. We also go canoeing and kayaking on the weekends which is nice and stress relieving.

DH: also cut back on the beer, which I appreciate. He has however sworn off biking which means we cannot go riding together until the BFP. We are signed up for a Bike MS event in August so he may not actually do the event, which makes me sad but is ultimately his choice. He's not basing this on any data though, so I keep trying to nudge him to see a doc and at least know what we are working with. I have a regular visit in about a week and will ask for labs to check out my thyroid and hormones. If I am all clear then he will get a BIG push to do the same.

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page