Preparing body to conceive in a few months--previous pregnancy with complications. Looking for suggestions! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! I have a 2 year old and we are wanting to start trying for baby #2 in the fall.  During my last pregnancy, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes (controlled through diet and exercise) and at 36 weeks developed high blood pressure (it never turned into pre-eclampsia).  Went from having a birthing center, med free birth to a hospital, c-section :( Anyway, I am trying to prepare my body the best I can for a better and healthier pregnancy!

Things I am doing to prepare:  I bought a juicer and have been adding lots of greens in my breakfast juice. While I know whole, raw foods are the best ways to get the vitamins you need, I still want to buy supplements.  Anyone on here have complications like I mentioned above?  If so, are there other supplements you took?  I read the lower levels of Vit D are associated with Gestational Diabetes. So I am going to take more Vit D.  Does anyone know what the maximum amount of Vit D I should be taking?

I also read the garlic oil and CoQ10 can help with high blood pressure. I will also be taking Cod liver oil and Garden of Life Raw Prenatals.

Also, I had extreme morning sickness and was thinking about taking more Vit B6.  Is there a maximum amount of this I should be taking?  My prenatal has 2mg.

I am exercising and down 10 pounds from my first pregnancy. I am also thinking about getting some Raw green powder and protein powder. Do any of you use these powders?

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

#2 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 03:00 AM

Hi  Oregon2010,

Welcome Welcome.gif ,

I have never had any of the complications your talking about because I'm a first time TTC but as concerns preparing my body I do, I take complex vit supplements Vit B6, B12 folic acid (which is basically the same) Iron, Magnesium and Calcium. Plus having a healthy diet with bio food which is quite easy where I live (the norm here is no fertilizers of GMO) and I spaced out my exercise to thrice a week instead of daily. For vit B6 as far as I know its 1.3mg per day and 1.9 for pregnant women.

Garlic in general is very good for HB pressure so garlic is definitely a good idea. I dont use any powders. You will definitely loose weiht with your dietary change. I hope this helps

Happy baby dust dust.gif

pos.gif for #1  carefully threadingthe path to motherhood heartbeat.gif

#3 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 03:52 PM

Been there done that...or doing that! I am TTC #5 right now, and I have had 3 pregnancies with Gestational diabetes. I have done lots of research...Heres a few t hings I have found....

1. Exercise is absolutley required to help prevent Gestational diabetes.

2. Vitamin D3 at least 4,000 IU per day takes away up to half the cases of Gestational diabetes in study...

3. Women who took Probiotics starting in the 1st trimester were 1/2 less likely to get gestational diabetes

4. testeominal on iherb.com about a woman who had Gestational diabetes and took NOW brand L-Opti zinc and was able to not have in the next pregnancy! Zinc is important!

5.Very high chance of stopping gestational diabetes in its tracks  (or helping it alot) by using Apple Cider Vinegar (1-2 T. in   1 cup water up to 2-3 times day). Apple Cider Vinegar Rivals  the drug Metformin, proven in studies. Metformin lowers risk of Gestational diabetes when taken in pregnancy

6. Magnesium is important to control blood sugar 300-400 mg a day

7. FOOD based Chromium GTF (safe throughout pregnancy) (Innate Response OR Megafood brands) one 3x day with meals can also lower blood sugar levels to near-normal, proven in study!!! Christopher Barr recomends for pregnant women.... http://www.oasisadvancedwellness.com/learning/Avoid-Diabetes.html

8. High protien and  protien with every meal really controls blood sugar. (eggs for breakfast helps)

lovestolearn likes this.
#4 of 9 Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the replies! I was so relieved to have my blood pressure checked twice in the last month and it is completely normal.  I am exercising and eating really well.  Taking certain supplements too. Giving myself the best chance I can! Zinc is new information to me and I am going to get some of that, although I get it through food as well. I need more apple cider vinegar in my life too! Thanks and I hope all goes well for you!

#5 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

herbsgirl--

If I am planning on trying to conceive in 3 months, how much of the above should I start now? 

Right now I am taking: 

COQ10- 100 mg

Raw Prenatal: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JAT3TU/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01

garlic oil

Vit D 2000 mg in addition to what is in prenatal

Cod Lover

Cal Mag (1000 mg of Cal) with Vit D (400 mg)

Hawthorne

What do you think?

#6 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 PM

Herbsgirl has great recommendations!

You really need to get your Vitamin D3 blood level checked since everyone responds differently to supplementation (and you may need more or less, depending on your sun exposure/latitude.)  Ask your doc for the 25 (OH)D test.  More info at www.vitamindcouncil.org.

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

#7 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Good idea! Heading into doc next week.  I live in Portland, Oregon so I am guessing I am need more :)

Thanks!

#8 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 PM

Ideally you want a blood level of 50-60 ng/ml. 

A bit higher is OK, but less than that & it won't get into your breastmilk, so you would need to supplement your babe.

#9 of 9 Old 06-04-2012, 03:02 PM

Oh, and I just finished a blog post on Fertility Nutrition.  Here's the link: http://www.sondrarose.com/optimum-fertility-nutrition

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page