Drinking a lot of caffeine on day 7-9, while endometrium is beefing up. Paranoid. Thoughts? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alright, this is a little complex.....please bear with me here.

I have had two miscarriages so far, and I DO consume quite a bit of caffeine because I have chronic fatigue and the coffee helps me on days of desperation, and I drink more those days I HAVE to do something. Both pregnancies were surprises, both ended in miscarriage. I am young-ish (28). No children. I know miscarriage can be caused by anything, but in a way, I suspect the caffeine I consumed BEFORE finding out I was pregnant had an effect. I would say on bad tiredness days, like 400 mg at least in a day (4 cups of premium coffee, or a Venti Latte with an extra shot). Once I found out I was pregnant (day 28), I would cut back drastically, to maybe 100 mg/day if that.

Anyways, hubby and I are actually planning it this time around. The problem is, I have an event I am running, that I HAVE to be SUPER alert/peppy for, and with my chronic fatigue, it's rough, trust me. The event would be on day 7-9-ish of my cycle. At first I was thinking I would only cut back on caffeine after hubby and I DTD (so day 14 and beyond), but then I got to wondering if the caffeine could even impact the building up of the endometrium (after my period is over), which will eventually become part of the placenta from what I gather. I don't know that the caffeine would affect that....I can't find the info online, and honestly, I'm not sure if anyone knows (scientists, etc).

I am thinking it's a long shot, in terms of something to worry about......but I dunno, what do you guys think? Another miscarriage would be rough, but I wanna start soon. I am already pushing off pregnancy by a few months because I don't want to be pregnant, tired, and unable to consume caffeine at this event, but should I then even push back my TTC to another month, so that even the beginning of my cycle won't have caffeine? Thoughts?

I figure I could just not drink (hardly) any caffeine the other days, except day of said big event, but I would like to option to consume at least 4 cups that day if I need it. Granted, it's just one day, not everyday (before I was drinking it more days in a row, like 200-400 mg/day). So I could maybe cut back to very low intake the other days to compensate.

It's just because of the past miscarriages that I'm paranoid.....I would prefer not to have to wait an extra month after that.

Thank you!!!!!

#2 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'm sorry you had 2 miscarriages.  They suck.  I don't know how caffeine affects the lining development, but caffeine may be related to increased risk of miscarriage, and the recommendation seems to be keeping it to under 300mg or 200mg depending on where you look.  There was a study that showed that caffeine affected the function of the fallopian tubes negatively.  Having more caffeine one day may not make much of a difference.  It's not just the caffeine but the stress too.  When you're stressed your body produces stress hormones that decrease your fertility.  I couldn't say for sure if you would have any problems getting and staying pregnant, but I can say that having less stress is ideal for fertility.  Is there another way you can treat your chronic fatigue? 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 AM

When I was TTC my first, I wanted to do everything perfectly and I dropped caffeine entirely. Fast forward 6 months, and no pregnancy. I then started a new job at the beginning of my 7th month and I ended up really needing my coffee when I went back to work. I figured, no coffee hadn't helped me get pregnant, so what's the difference? Well, the month I started on my coffee again was the month I got pregnant. I had no complications from the caffeine (and I tend to drink a lot, at LEAST 3 cups every morning and often more throughout the day). Honestly, I think that stressing about not having the coffee and being exhausted a lot of the time was more harmful to my TTC attempts than the actual caffeine was.

Just my two cents, and everyone's body is different, so it may be different for you.

Another thought, have you tried some of the non-caffeine based energy drinks out there instead of coffee? Ive heard awesome things about one called Xocai Energy, none of the nasty additives of most energy drinks, and it doesn't give the crash afterwards like coffee or energy drinks. Maybe that would help give you the boost you need without the concern of so much caffeine?

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#4 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I have been moreso worried about what having a compromised endometrium could do to the developing baby, if the pregnancy does continue.....less blood flow(?), less nutrients, etc. I guess because I know my health is a little rough (and it isn't changing), I am just worried that whatever baby I produce will need all the help it can get! First mom fears, I suppose.

LivingSky, was your baby a normal size, normal in terms of cognition (bright, aware), etc? Sorry if that is a weird question, but I think if I knew that others who consumed a lot of caffeine early on, had extremely healthy babies, it would ease my fears. And granted, I am only asking for like one day of "a lot", heh.

Pokeycip, I did end up seeing that fallopian tube study when I was researching this. Thanks. It is all stuff to think about.

I am thinking I will really beef up my vitamins, make sure I"m getting everything I need nutritionally. Because in theory, on day 8 of my cycle, I won't be dealing with a fertilized egg, so I don't really need to worry about that aspect......it seems like nutrient levels and adequate levels of estrogen at the time will be the most important things. I am hoping the caffeine doesn't hurt either TOO much.

Thank you so much for listening! As you can tell, I am really thinking myself to death here, but it helps to have someone to talk to. :)

#5 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Sometimes thinking can be a dangerous thing.  orngtongue.gif

dust.gif to you and good luck with your event.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#6 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 05:39 AM

Not a wierd question at all! My babe was a normal size - actually on the big side, 9 lbs even, born at 38w 1d. He was bright and aware, apgar scores of 7 and 9. He has continually been at the top end of the size spectrum every time we've had him weighed and measured (his dad and I are both tall as well) as well as ahead of the game for many milestones. So I don't think the caffeine hurt him any smile.gif

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#7 of 8 Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingSky View Post

When I was TTC my first, I wanted to do everything perfectly and I dropped caffeine entirely. Fast forward 6 months, and no pregnancy. I then started a new job at the beginning of my 7th month and I ended up really needing my coffee when I went back to work. I figured, no coffee hadn't helped me get pregnant, so what's the difference? Well, the month I started on my coffee again was the month I got pregnant. I had no complications from the caffeine (and I tend to drink a lot, at LEAST 3 cups every morning and often more throughout the day). Honestly, I think that stressing about not having the coffee and being exhausted a lot of the time was more harmful to my TTC attempts than the actual caffeine was.
Just my two cents, and everyone's body is different, so it may be different for you.
Another thought, have you tried some of the non-caffeine based energy drinks out there instead of coffee? Ive heard awesome things about one called Xocai Energy, none of the nasty additives of most energy drinks, and it doesn't give the crash afterwards like coffee or energy drinks. Maybe that would help give you the boost you need without the concern of so much caffeine?

Wow, wild, I had almost the same exact experience! Stopped caffeine directly after m/c and ttc the next 6 months with no luck. I had a hormone panel and adrenal panel done and turned out I had some trouble with certain hormones, which some research suggested could be helped with caffeine consumption. I started having my morning cuppa again and conceived that cycle! Drank 1 or 2 strong cups per day, and went on to have a very healthy pregnancy, and an excellent birth of an 8 lb very alert little guy who is now almost 9 months old.

I would be wary of suddenly stopping caffeine at that stage of a pregnancy.
#8 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillary77 View Post

Wow, wild, I had almost the same exact experience! Stopped caffeine directly after m/c and ttc the next 6 months with no luck. I had a hormone panel and adrenal panel done and turned out I had some trouble with certain hormones, which some research suggested could be helped with caffeine consumption. I started having my morning cuppa again and conceived that cycle! Drank 1 or 2 strong cups per day, and went on to have a very healthy pregnancy, and an excellent birth of an 8 lb very alert little guy who is now almost 9 months old.

I would be wary of suddenly stopping caffeine at that stage of a pregnancy.

Hillary, this is very interesting. Can I ask what hormones are HELPED by caffeine consumption? TIA

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page