When to have sex to get pregnant? after periods or before period? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-20-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

it is really hard for me understanding about ovulation calculating etc etc. since i have irregular periods. My last period was on 20th may and we had unprotected sex(first time he ejaculated in entire 4 yrs of marriage) last night and day b4. Just keeping my fingers cross. please tell me simple method of how to find my most fertile days (it is kinda difficult cuz i usually have my period every other month like 2 months 14days or 1month 2days, 1 month 13 days like that.

let's say if i get my period on 1st (which usually last for 5 days,( i don't even know when i am going to get my next period it is like a mystery cuz of irregularity) ) so when do i start having sex to get pregnant after my period and on what day (6, 7, 8...?)

#2 of 6 Old 06-20-2012, 03:55 PM

Ovulation occurs approximately 12-14 days before your period starts.  If you want to time sex for optimal chace of conception, you'll want to chart.  It's not the number of days *after* your period that matters, it's based on when you ovulate (which, in turn, determines  when your period comes).

I'd suggest the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility:

http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-Fertility-Anniversary-Edition/dp/0060881909/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340232781&sr=8-1&keywords=guide+to+fertility

#3 of 6 Old 06-20-2012, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
If you have irregular cycles the most likely way to get pregnant quickly is to work out when you ovulate. Irregular cycles make that more difficult but not impossible. Firstly do you notice any signs of ovulation such as changes in your cervical mucous or pain on one side of your abdomen? If you are already aware of those things then you could start by having sex when they appear.

Ovulation predictor kits are probably the simplest in terms of the amount of effort you have to put in but they do require interpretation which, IME, can be a bit hit and miss. Also, if you have no idea when you ovulate it can get expensive to use the urine ones because you'll need to use them for a while each cycle.

The most reliable way for you to determine ovulation is likely to be charting but this is also the most labour-intensive way. There are Plenty of websites to tell you how to go about this.

Another option is just to have sex every two days and see what happens.

All the best.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 6 Old 06-20-2012, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Ovulation occurs approximately 12-14 days before your period starts.

Yeah, if you had longer but still regular cycles you could count back 14 days from when your next period is due if you didn't want to chart, but sounds like your cycles are not coming at specific intervals so that would be hard to predict.

I shouldn't talk since I have never gotten around to learning to chart, but it would probably be a really good idea so that you know about when conception happened and/or be prepared to request a very early ultrasound for dating. Estimating due dates is based on your last menstrual period and assumes that everyone has a 28 day cycle and ovulatates/conceives on day 14 of that cycle. That can spell trouble for those of us who aren't "normal" when baby comes due and they are pushing for an induction.

#5 of 6 Old 06-20-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

really hard i have been banging my head understanding these ovulation test n all....not for me. It is really hard for me with irregular cycle. I am just leaving to destiny

#6 of 6 Old 06-20-2012, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thats certainly one way to do it and I would suggest having sex fairly frequently if getting pregnant is a high priority for you soon.

Have you looked into what's involved with charting at all? It's not super complicated an there are websites where you can enter all your info and it will graph it for you and show you where ovulation is occurring.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page