progesterone coloring - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-30-2012, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My RE has prescribed oral progesterone, but asked me to use it as a vaginal suppository. The capsules, which are generic and I learned are made by a company called TEVA, are light yellow with some small black writing. It concerns me to put artificial coloring in my body at all, and especially so close to the reproductive part of my body. Has anyone had similar concerns and been able to find any information about the coloring in the capsules?

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#2 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 AM

I don't know anything about this, but my instinct is, if it's not specifically designed for intravaginal use, don't put it in there. There must be a pill specifically manufactured as a vaginal suppository and I would ask my Dr. About that. I agree, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#3 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, gossamer. That is a good point, and I'm glad to hear it.

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#4 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 06:21 AM

My RE prescribes Prometrium - it's for vaginal use. I would agree that it seems odd!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#5 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

My RE prescribes the pills that are just like you described.  They can be taken orally, but I was told to insert them vaginally.  I think it is quite common to use them like that.  There are suppositories that are specifically made for vaginal use also.  I don't have any answers for you on the dye, but I can say it doesn't seem like much of it gets absorbed because it usually comes back out on my panty liner.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#6 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Good to know others are doing this, too. And true, I see a lot of color come out, too. That is comforting. Makes me think to ask my doctor how common this use is.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page