neg test but is too early? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi all looking for a bit of advice. i was 6 days late on last month even though i am usually regular as clockwork so im not sure when i may ovulate this month but i have had really tender breasts over the past week and sicky feeling. My last period was 18 June andbecasue of last month i cant even work out when my next is due.I tested this morning and it was negative but i know it is probably too early anyway. When should i wait till to test and did anyone go from a neg to a pos?? any advice would be great

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 AM

I've always gone from a negative to a positive, because Im a habitual early tester. I think it's totally likely that you are still too early to get a positive. What brand test did you use? Are you TTC?

Welcome to mothering!

Edited to add: Everyone's body is different, some people dont get a positive until 17-20 dpo (days post ovulation) and some people (like me) get positives at 7-10 dpo. A lot of it depends on the test. Some are most sensitive than others. I've found that I can always get my earliest positive with an Answer Brand test, followed by a first response test. With DD I got a BFP at 10 dpo, with DS at 9 dpo, and with these babies at 7 dpo.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

it was only a cheapo one i like to save the more expensive ones for when im sure there will be a result! what is TTC? im new to the lingo...

#4 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 10:46 AM

Trying To Concieve = TTC
BFP= Big Fat Positive
BFN= Big Fat Negative
FRER= First Response Early Result
OPK= Ovulation Prediction Kit

those are just a few abbreviations that are generally used when talking about pregnancy testing. You should check out http://www.peeonastick.com/

I always use the cheapie tests first, then switch to the answers (the mid level for price) then buy a couple of frers.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thats great thanks! yes we have been trying for about 5 months now. its one hell of an emotional rollercoaster isnt it?? ive been using my days app and judging by that im 8dpo. the only thing making think i might be this time is tender breasts and the odd dizzy spell. i dont want to build my hopes up though because i was so sure last month and then it wasnt to be. :(

How long have you had to try for in the past? seems to have happened so much faster for friends and family...

#6 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 11:08 AM

Honestly, I've only seriously tried once. With DD, we had been wanting to try but were waiting and then we just happened to have a really romantic evening on the day before ovulation and DH was not in the mood to care about attempting to prevent. We wanted her, and we decided to try while Im the middle of doing it. With DS, we discussed the possibility of me being able to get pg (it was my fist cycle after DD was born) and I got pregnant three days later.

This time was a bit different. We both really, really wanted to get pregnant and I took OPK tests for 2 weeks. When it was I was ovulating, we DTD, many times. Then I kept taking them, and I thought something must've gone wrong, because two days later it showed that i was ovulating again. So, we DTD a bunch more times. So, Im pretty sure these twins are fraternal. Either that, or my OPK strips were bad.

BTW (by the way), these DH, DD, DS are all abbreviations for Dear Husband, Dear Daughter, Dear Son.
DTD- Did the Deed (sex).

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Awww twins! how lovely.thumb.gif

i think im going to wait about 10 days (willpower needed) and if there is still no sign i will test again. this 2 week wait feels like a lifetime!!

loving this forum. i talk to friends and family alot but think because they want it for us nearly as much as we do, there advice is a little biased and doesnt help the whole hopes staying down.

You have really been a big help. think ill be sticking around with my obsessing over every twinge. haha

#8 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 PM

Due to the expense and emotional toil of early testing, I ALWAYS had a date in my head that I would test if/when I was late. To me, it wasn't worth getting a negative but still having the false hope that I tested too early. I would choose a date that was after the last possible day I could get my period based on previous charting (although I'm usually like clockwork every 27-28 days, there were random months where I'd go as long as 34 days, so I'd wait until then). I always got my period before the date set in my head and was glad I held out. When I finally got pregnant I actually waited even longer to test as I was in disbelief that I still didn't have my period and made it past my "time to test" date. Sure enough, I finally got a BFP!

&
#9 of 13 Old 07-15-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

that is probably a wise way of doing things. i really have to develop patience. its hard at the moment because there are alot of pregnant people in my life at the min,including my sister and my best friend (definately something in the water)

When do you advise i wait till? im usually 29 days on the dot but last month was 35?

#10 of 13 Old 07-16-2012, 12:26 PM

I used a variety of tests at 10 dpo after I thought I saw a disappearing faint faint pos whisper of a line (I took a picture of it and now think I must have hallucinated!). The only positive came from a digital first response test. I used the same pee for all the tests and I held my pee for a really long time too, so the hormone could build up if it was present. I could have saved myself a lot of money and heartbreak and waited for a clearer test on 14 dpo (or no period) but I understand impatience. ;)  Anyway, I totally recommend getting those digital tests. And umm...the dual pack saved me when I drenched the first one and got a big fat error message. Good luck!

#11 of 13 Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops View Post

that is probably a wise way of doing things. i really have to develop patience. its hard at the moment because there are alot of pregnant people in my life at the min,including my sister and my best friend (definately something in the water)

When do you advise i wait till? im usually 29 days on the dot but last month was 35?

As hard as it can be to wait, I would personally go until day 35 or 36. I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from. My sister was on her 3rd and my friends are all on their second while I was waiting to get pregnant with my first. It's very frustrating and heartbreaking. Just be there for your partner and vice versa because you're on this journey together.

&
#12 of 13 Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 PM

hi dear friend,

me also on the same boat..only very conceived on their first try.we have been tttc for last 8 months.ya i can understand your feeling..bcos i am also on tht waiting period.just to tell my case all my frnds and dh friend are either pregnat or enjoying their motherhood.we r usually left out.its very heartbreaking to c children evry where, when we go for a get together and every others talking about their kids,their pregnancy status etc..their activities etc.i will stand their as if this does not affect me but actually i am braeking inside.

but you dont worry my dear..have good faith in god..he will hear our prayers.baby dust to all.

#13 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well im due in 3 days according to my days so i have set myself a date of next wed to test if i can hold off till then.

Anyone have some spare willpower i could use??

I dont really have any syptoms except so tired but i have been all over theuk this week for work so it could just be travelling taking it out of me....

Wish me luck!

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page