Does laying with your hips/legs elevated after sex really increase chances getting pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have read some where that lying back with a pillow after sex will have more chance getting pregnant? if so how much time do I have to lie down ? since it is always not possible to do that each time. I usually lie back elevated for like 30mins-1hr would this be ok? still i  need to wipe off excess semen even after 1hour, please explain / is it just a myth?

Since i have irregular periods and I thought having sex like 3 times per week should increase chance of me being pregnant :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-17-2012, 05:02 AM

It's pretty much a myth, though it can't hurt. I think I read a long time ago that really after 3 min, there's sorta no point to laying that way anymore. Plus, if you have a retroverted uterus, you should actually lie on your stomach to accomplish the same goal.

Honestly, I would focus more on improving timing (via charting), cervical fluid quality and quantity, etc. That would probably up your chances more than the ol' pillow-under-the-hips trick. smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 7 Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 AM

I don't think it makes any difference.  I can always tell when we hit the nail on the head because i *don't* have to wipe any excess semen off - my cervix was open and it has mostly gone inside it.  I still feel damper than usual but there's no dash to the bathroom with it running down my thighs!

Of my 3 kids two were conceived with him on top and one with me on top and with none of them did i elevate my hips after.  

#4 of 7 Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 AM

I've heard that it can hurt your chances.  The ahem, deposit, can pool around the cervix instead of going in.  Your best bet is to just remain in bed flat for 2 or so minutes.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 08:05 AM

Having your legs up won't tip your pelvis, but it will make you look like a old-school pinup. So if you're getting way too stressed about TTC joking around and having fun with it could be a really good thing.

Do you rememberteapot2.GIF the feelingdizzy.gif you got dog2.gifwhen you could use as moon.gif manyread.gif stickers love.gif as cat.gifyou wool.gif wanted? 2whistle.gif thumb.gif  I have that now. namaste.gif Thanks for the smileys! lactivist.gif intactivist.gif

#6 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssenorita View Post

I have read some where that lying back with a pillow after sex will have more chance getting pregnant? if so how much time do I have to lie down ? since it is always not possible to do that each time. I usually lie back elevated for like 30mins-1hr would this be ok? still i  need to wipe off excess semen even after 1hour, please explain / is it just a myth?

Since i have irregular periods and I thought having sex like 3 times per week should increase chance of me being pregnant :)

Charting and paying attention to your CM is really important. even with an irregular cycle, knowing what fertile CM is and DTD every day when it is present will be the most important thing you can do! 3 times per week - there is a good chance you'll miss your fertile time. Know when you are fertile and get busy then!

I'd suggest picking up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Fertility Friend website has a great little course on fertility as well that I found super useful. Unless there is a sperm count issue, you should be having sex every day when fertile.

Good luck!

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#7 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 12:26 PM

I second the motion for charting your fertility to help narrow down the days of ovulation so you have better chances.  And I also recommend the book "Taking charge of your Fertility" as library girl did.  It's an awesome, easy to understand with pictures and all.  

Here's the Fertility Friend link. 

:  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/?full=1  

I use my own paper chart as well as the Fertility Freind online to compare and make sure.  

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page