How likely is it to become pregnant during infertile days/ non ovulation time??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How likely is it to become pregnant during infertile days/ non ovulation time??? I mean millions of women get pregnant and I really wonder how come every one hit the correct ovulation time? 

#2 of 9 Old 07-19-2012, 06:36 AM

I was just thinking the same thing last night!  I was thinking this because I have just removed my IUD yesterday and although we want to start ttc we probably don't want to like this very day.  Maybe with in the next 2 months.  Im relying on the fact that I know my fertile days by now, after keeping track of them for a couple of years, and I will know when to abstain to not get PG.  

So yeah, anyone have an answer to that question?

Michelle

#3 of 9 Old 07-19-2012, 06:58 AM

My Billings class decided that teenagers don't have fertile "days" - they are ALWAYS fertile. :) There is always a chance of ovulating earlier than expected. I know the odds aren't great for conceiving on a non-fertile day, though. I guess you could have this scenario:

I tend to O on CD18. Fertile CM shows up around CD13 and I get several days of fertile before O. but let's say this month, my body decides it's going to O on CD15. CD12 seems fine, we DTD. Sperm can live a few hours if it doesn't have CM. So my body says "oh wait, we're going to do this early now so we better make some fluid!" So on CD13, I've got EWCM to support the "deposit" from the previous evening and then I O two days later.

Unlikely but it could happen.

We are wired, biologically, to reproduce. Our bodies WANT to get pregnant so a healthy body should take every advantage it's given.

I think so many people end up pregnant because they don't know fertile symptoms, don't care, or don't realize how much stronger our desire for sex is when we are fertile (increasing our chances just because we're having sex more then).

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#4 of 9 Old 07-19-2012, 08:08 PM

After you've ovulated, and can definitely confirm it (3 days of high temps), your chance of getting pregnant is zero. :) You're not releasing another egg.

librarygirl's scenario probably happens a lot. Also the scenario where somebody thinks that an average cycle is/should be 28 days and so reasons that towards the end they're safe, not realizing that since they, personally, have long cycles, this won't cut it for them. (A reason cycle beads/rhythm method/anything that assumes everyone has a 28-day cycle will fail for a lot of people.)

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#5 of 9 Old 07-20-2012, 10:24 AM

I got pregnant ON my period must have been about day five and yes I was still bleeding! 

I didn't have sex of any kind again that month, no taking clothes off period.

That was my first dd and everything turned out fine, except she was born two weeks "early" from my LMP - well duh!

8 might be enough
#6 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 06:31 AM

Women can also ovulate twice, it is not common, but it can happen. So all signs can say the person has ovulated, and then whoops, a couple of days later another egg matures!

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#7 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 AM

I believe if a women ovulates twice, it always happens within a 24 hour period.  However, what can happen is that all signs point to ovulation and then stress or something happens and ovulation doesn't actually occur at that time and instead occurs again later.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#8 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 06:07 PM

I thought I heard two days...

But, yeah, there is that case of gearing up to ovulate, and then not doing so.

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#9 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM

From what I've read, you can release another egg 24 hours after the first. Also, if mucus is present prior to ovulation, technically you can conceive. Sperm can live for something like a week if mucus is present. So you can get pregnant on your period if any mucus is present (which can be hard to distinguish). Even if you have had regular cycles in the past, you can have one in which you ovulate earlier so it's important to always check for mucus if you're trying to avoid.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page