How long before ttc to go off the pill? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone! This is the first thread I'm starting, so apologies in advance if I go against some etiquette accidentally...

I've been on oral contraceptives for ~3 years, but dh and I want to start ttc in early December. My doctor (family doctor and gynecologist) recommended going off the pill 3 months before ttc and using condoms while my cycles re-regulate. We are religious and are not permitted to use barrier methods of contraception, and want to avoid having to do that, so we'd prefer to go off the pill closer to ttc - but we don't want to end up in a catch 22 where it takes us a long time after going off the pill to conceive, and we also don't want to "take our chances" and go off the pill 3 months in advance only to conceive right away (early Dec is really the earliest we'd like to conceive).

That was long-winded, sorry. The point is, has anyone btdt in terms of going off the pill, how long it took them after to conceive, and whether you used backup protection while regulating your cycle?

THANKS!

#2 of 7 Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 AM

I have known many people to get pregnant as soon as they stopped taking the pill or while they were taking the pill wrong.

#3 of 7 Old 08-30-2012, 09:43 AM

A religion that allows you to take a birth control pill but not to use a condom? It's just splitting hairs at that point. The only way to remedy your problem is to get your cycle back in sync for a couple months and just use condoms.

#4 of 7 Old 08-31-2012, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I conceived the month after going off the pill.  BCPs these days leave your system almost immediately after you stop taking them.

Why do you need to "re-regulate" your cycle? 

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#5 of 7 Old 09-01-2012, 01:39 AM

I started ovulating right away after stopping BCPs, but I ended up having a luteal phase defect (can happen because BCPs can cause a deficiency in B vitamins).  So the luteal phase defect caused a problem with TTC until I started taking a B6 supplement.

I suggest charting your cycle after you go off the BCPs so you can see when you are ovulating and how long your luteal phase is.... and you can avoid i/c during your fertile window until you are ready to TTC.

Me (28), DH (31), DS1 (3), and brand new DS2 just born in Sept!

Will always remember our angel babies - Jan 2008 and Nov 2011

#6 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaforever View Post

I started ovulating right away after stopping BCPs, but I ended up having a luteal phase defect (can happen because BCPs can cause a deficiency in B vitamins).  So the luteal phase defect caused a problem with TTC until I started taking a B6 supplement.

I suggest charting your cycle after you go off the BCPs so you can see when you are ovulating and how long your luteal phase is.... and you can avoid i/c during your fertile window until you are ready to TTC.

yeahthat.gif I would suggest temping and waiting to make love until after you get 3 high temperatures. You may want to getting the habit of charting anyway, in case you don't conceive right away and you want to figure out what is going on with your cycle. I successfully preventing pregnancy this way for 2 years.

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#7 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice anyalily and mamaforever. I think my MD wanted me to re-regulate bc of possible B6 deficiencies, etc. I will chart and avoid intercourse while ovulating until we are ready to ttc.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page