1 vs. 2 IUI's per cycle; and midwives in SF bay area for IUI's - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-01-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My partner and I are trying to decide between a few midwives in the SF Bay Area to do IUI's for us. Does anyone have experience working with Sara Flores (who would do it at her office at Sacred Birth Place in Oakland because we live too far for her to travel), Michelle Edgar/At Home Fertility or Michelle Borok/Take Root (both of whom would come to our home for an extra fee)? Sara Flores charges about a third of the price of the other two, even after you subtract the others' travel fee. I haven't been able to find many reviews of their services online. Also, if you have any research or personal experience with doing 1 IUI versus 2 per cycle with frozen sperm, that would be great. Thanks for your help!
#2 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Welcome to MDC! I am sending good wishes to you for your TTC journey. goodvibes.gifYou might also want to post in the California Tribal Area for inquiries on care providers in your specific area.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Hello and welcome!  Have you checked out the classes at Maia Midwifery?  The founders wrote the book everyone talks about, The Guide to Lesbian Conception and Birth.  I know the midwife there is going to be teaching her classes and doing consultations this month in Oakland.  I found them very helpful to learn about timing and fertility in general.  They recommend doing 2 inseminations each month.  We do 2 each month, but I know others who only do one so it's tough to say.  If you can pinpoint your ovulation precisely you might be able to do 1.  I will PM you about the midwives.  Good luck!  

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Happyhappymommy: thanks for the tip about the CA Tribal area. I didn't realize that existed.

PokeyAC: thanks for the info about maia midwifery. We're considering doing one of their timing workshops, and it's interesting to know they recommend 2 IUI's per cycle.
#5 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 06:14 AM

I've always read one is sufficient. We did one and conceived first try. 

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#6 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb99 View Post

Happyhappymommy: thanks for the tip about the CA Tribal area. I didn't realize that existed.

My pleasure! There are lots of great forums here and I hope you find several that meet your interests. i look forward to seeing you around the forums.

And dust.giffor your TTC journey and for finding a midwife/midwife group that's a great fit for you and your partner.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#7 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 06:49 PM

I am going to begin ttc in November with AI.  My understanding, from tons of online reading, is that frozen sperm only live about 12 hours.  Just what I have read, I don't have sites.  If so, then you have to predict your O almost exactly.  It is possible to get pg with only one but if I were you and had the resources, I would choose to do 2 IUI to up the chances of conception. 

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page