What strange things have people said to you when you told them you were TTC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I think this should be a funny collection of anecdotes.  ROTFLMAO.gif  As a lesbian, the reactions I get may be different from most of you, but here are some good examples.

"Are you going to have sex with a man?"  --No.  The lesbian thing and being married automatically rule that out.

"Are you doing IVF"?  -- No.  All I need is some help getting the sperm where it needs to go.

"Are you going to adopt"?  -- No.  I am a woman, and my uterus was not turned off when I came out.

What funny things have you been told?

MyKidKissTrees likes this.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#2 of 15 Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

I think I should clarify my question.  TTC can be very stressful.  I am hoping we can have a few laughs in the process by sharing stories.  Have you gotten any strange or funny advice when you told people you were trying to conceive?  Have people told you you should eat a certain food, or BD in a certain position, or just stop trying and it will happen?

#3 of 15 Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my mother told me i should eat sweet potatoes?? she also recently told me i should "just relax and it will happen". this is after a miscarriage, two years of ttc, an endo diagnosis, and a surgery. i did not find that funny at the time and lost it a little bit with her but i know she says such things only because she cares and hopes that it is true happytears.gif

i haven't had too many weird suggestions... just the typical "hold you legs up after sex!" type comments. i have to say, you sound like you have a great sense of humor to be able to laugh off all the intrusive questions you have gotten!

read.gif(me - 37) trekkie.gif(him - 36)  parenting dog2.gifdog2.gif and cat.gifcat.gifand trying to add a human child to our family.

Early loss 10/2010. Dx: DOR and Endometriosis.  After 2.5 failed IUIs, Moving on to IVF - EPP/MDL

#4 of 15 Old 09-18-2012, 03:10 PM

I told my sister we weren't going to actively try this month (baby would be due the week before her wedding if I conceive) but we wouldn't prevent, either. Her response: That's fine...it takes three years to get pregnant anyways so I wasn't too worried.

Coworker #1: Why in the world would you WANT a baby?

Coworker #2 (who is 70, has two grown children and 5 grandchildren and wants more): You are so incredibly lucky. I would love to be in that stage of my life again. :)

No one has given me any advice yet, but we really aren't shouting out to the world that we are trying. I'm just puzzled on why my sister thinks it takes 3 years. She's a very intelligent woman who definitely knows where babies come from. :)

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#5 of 15 Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post That's fine...it takes three years to get pregnant anyways so I wasn't too worried.

Uh oh!  innocent.gif  Maybe we've all had it wrong all this time!  That's funny.

indie - I think I have a pretty good sense of humor.  Thank you for noticing.  winky.gif  Sometimes you just have to laugh at the crazy things people say, don't you?  It's not worth the energy to get angry every time someone says something crazy.  I figure it's good practice for when I am pregnant.  People like to ask you lots of intrusive questions then, and just come up and touch your belly without permission.  I'm not sure I will find the touching very funny.

#6 of 15 Old 09-19-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyAC View Post

I think this should be a funny collection of anecdotes.  ROTFLMAO.gif  As a lesbian, the reactions I get may be different from most of you, but here are some good examples.

"Are you going to have sex with a man?"  --No.  The lesbian thing and being married automatically rule that out.

OMG Pokey! That's crazy, lol.  duh.gif

I don't tell many people we're ttc but those I have I get the "relax and it'll happen" comments.  

JustJenny and DH of 20 years 

After a 2 year fertility struggle  - Baby girl is here! Jan 8th 2014 

2 Boxer Furbabies Buddha and Tootsie 
#7 of 15 Old 09-19-2012, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I told one of my best friends that I am trying again and she laughed at me and told me I am "so funny, and why do I try to control everything?" This is coming from someone who is quite laissez-faire about birth control. Hmmm.

My mom tells me all about the astrological aspects and why I shouldn't conceive this month.

Come to think of it, neither of these struck me as funny. I suppose I am taking this too seriously.

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#8 of 15 Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 AM

People ask "WHY? you already have two!" ughhh.

DD1 7 1/2 years DS1 3 1/2 years And DS2   7/18/13
#9 of 15 Old 09-26-2012, 07:41 AM

The best response I ever got was "Want help?" (This obviously, was from a man.)

The silliest, "how are you going to do that?" (I'm single.)

The worst, "maybe it just wasn't meant to be." (From a good friend who knows how much I want children.)

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#10 of 15 Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 AM

A co-worker in her mid 20's said to me "I won't have trouble when I try to get pregnant.  All the women in my family are fertile myrtles."  Um, thanks..

#11 of 15 Old 09-26-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Good ones!  ROTFLMAO.gif

#12 of 15 Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM

My mom told us we should wait and there's no hurry. Ummm, why? She has this thing where she thinks we need to be married for a good year or two before having a child. Nevermind the fact that we've lived together in a committed relationship, raising our two boys for the past 4 years.

My response was, "We've been trying for the past 3 years." (even thought it's not true).

I'm thinking that after she saw how excited we were before the miscarriage and how low we were after, though, she'll put away her opinions next time we are blessed with a pregnancy.

MyKidKissTrees likes this.

Wife to the sweetest man in the world and Mama to 2 precious boys (7 and 9), and one little miracle girl (born June '13)

#13 of 15 Old 09-26-2012, 07:19 PM

"Why don't you wait another year or two"

"Just stop thinking about it and it will happen"- this one was from the hubby. I don't know why, but he seems to be able to just 'turn off his mind' of the whole baby thing, while I am completely obsessed with it.

I was also told to have sex everyday but to stop exercising that month because 'you will be too sore to walk'. 

All these did not seem funny at the time, but I guess I can see the humor in them :)

#14 of 15 Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

I guess it's funny (in a strange way) the things people believe that just aren't true.  People who are completely unqualified feel free to give you advice you didn't request.  Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying or because the things you hear are just so crazy and/or rude.

#15 of 15 Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 AM

"Practice makes perfect!"

Ugh.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page