metformin = early ovulation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi everyone,

I just emailed my HCP to ask her this question but thought I'd throw it out here, too.

I starting taking Metformin (again) for my diabetes about 3 weeks ago. I know it can help you ovulate but I already ovulate regularly, if a little bit late (day 18, usually). Is it possible for it to make ovulation really early in your cycle? I'm on cycle day 11 and I think I ovulated today. I did have some fertile CM but not a lot and I kind of ignored it because it was so early. But I've been taking advil cold and sinus (with psuedophedrine) for a cold and now I think I was just a little dried up from the medicine. It occurred to me today when I had what felt like ovulation pains (a regular symptom for me) that maybe the metformin caused me to ovulate a week early. Is this possible? I guess I'll wait and see what the rest of the month brings.

If I did ovulate, we had good timing for TTC, even though we're not trying this month. Might end up with that june baby after all. :)

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#2 of 3 Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

That's a good question.  I know lots of folks use Metformin.  I just started taking it myself, but I do not know the answer.  Does anyone have some input?

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 3 Old 09-20-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My CNM says it's very possible for it to move up ovulation! I know a lot of ladies take it to jumpstart ovulation but I didn't need it for that. Just a benefit that it's shortened my cycle a bit. I won't complain!

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page