LH Surge and Ovulation Prior To insemination - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, I am new to this board and just wanted to know if anyone had experienced this... I had my LH surge turn positive on Tuesday night at about 6pm.. (I only checked it once that day and once the night before) I called my Dr and I was inseminated the next morning (Wed at 11am) ... when I went to my appt, they did an ultra sound and no eggs or follicles were seen on the ultrasound... Could it be possible that I ovulated between the time I tested positive on Tuesday night at 6pm til I got inseminatead at 11am on Wed.(that would be about 17 hours later... and would the eggs not show at all on the ovaries if I had already recently ovulated?  Also, Is it possible I could still get prego if I have ovulated about 17 hours or so prior to the insemnation? Did anyone ever have this happen to them and any results? thanks! Summer211@aol.com

#2 of 7 Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 7 Old 10-09-2012, 07:36 PM

When I had my first IUI I had already ovulated and it did not work... you only have a 12 hour window ... I was so mad that my RE inseminated me knowing I had already ovulated... cause that is not typical protocol... they usuallly like to inseminate BEFORE ovulation so the sperm can meet the egg in the tube...  Sorry i wish i could be more optimistic ... But crazier things have happened I mean the timing on my last IUI was perfect!! But still I ended up with a BFN   Good Luck

Me (40) dishes.gif    DH (39) geek.gif      DD (21) hearts.gif      DD (13) hippie.gif       2 angel3.gifangel3.gif   ......

5 failed IUI's all with clomid and injectables, first IVF failed.. 3 ER none made it to ET, fet scheduled for June 21  

* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 stork-boy.gif* * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * * * 40

#4 of 7 Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 AM

summer - Did you have an ultrasound a few days before the IUI to see how the follicles(s) were developing?  I don't think they disappear right away.  They start to shrink and turn into a corpus luteum but they don't completely disappear.  Also, my RE said you can see free fluid around the ovaries when you have already ovulated.  Maybe the person doing the ultrasound couldn't see the follicle?  Also, I wouldn't necessarily think  that you ovulated 17 hours before because the O usually happens after the surge, so it's possible you ovulated closer to the IUI.  I would ask your doctor for more info. I'm sorry.  That sounds really frustrating.

#5 of 7 Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Hi shell, how long after u ovulated did they inseminate u? My dr said as long as I ovulated 24 hours or less before insemination it can work.. They saw the fluid but didnt see any follicles or eggs on the ovaries.. Do the eggs dissapear as soon as u ovulate? Also is it possible to surge at 6 pm the prior nite and to have ovulated by 11 am next morning? Thanks everyone!
#6 of 7 Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Pokey- I've seen your name around here for  a while and just saw the good news in your signature, CONGRATS!

Summer- usually you have 12-26 hours after your positive OPK before ovulation, so if you had a positive at 6pm Tuesday night than likely it was a few more hours (probably around 12) that ovulation would occur. If they saw fluid around the ovaries than ovulation was probably pretty recent. I would say it isn't ideal to ovulate first because the semen isn't there already waiting for the eggs but it only takes about 13 minutes with natural intercourse for sperm to make it through the fallopian tube so it would be pretty quick with an IUI that sperm could find the egg. Eggs live on average 12-24 hours depending on the quality so again, not ideal but you are pretty likely to still have a health egg after 17 hours even if you ovulated right after your positive opk (which is unlikely since you ovulate following the surge, not during it). I think at this point just try to embrace your 2ww and hope for success. Best of luck to you.

C + B + 10y together, 5y married, 4y TTC= endometriosis, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, recurrent miscarriages
IVF 1/6/13 angel.gif @10w , FET 5/21/13 angel3.gif @7w, IVF 10/11/13 angel.gif @5w, FET 2/2/14 angel.gif @5w
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.
#7 of 7 Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM

Thank you, toothfairy!  I've seen you around also.  I hope you get some good news soon too!

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page