Asking for sperm from donor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-06-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I'm new here. Hope I'm putting this in the right section.

I am a 45 yo straight single female. I was recently told by my gyn that if I want to have a baby I need to do it NOW. I'm not in a serious relationship yet and had planned on waiting a couple years but now I feel I need to have a baby now because of my gyn's advice. So, I've been thinking of a sperm donor. There is really only one person I would even consider at this time. He is my psychiatrist. I've been going to him for a year now. I like his looks, his intelligence and his personality. He is married with 2 young children. How do I go about asking him if he would be a sperm donor?

#2 of 4 Old 10-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Ummm.... You could tell him about your desire to be a parent, your decision to do so using a donor, and then jokingly say that he would be perfect. Then just see what his reaction is,

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#3 of 4 Old 10-07-2012, 01:24 PM

I'm fairly sure any psychiatrist would be ethically barred from donating sperm for a client, so if I were you, I wouldn't ask him at all.  Even if he and his wife were ok with it, it could cost him his job.  There are other good-looking intelligent men with nice personalities.

If you're 45 though, it's unlikely you'd be able to get pregnant without the help of a clinic, so I'd ask your gyn for more information, and possibly for a referral.  Google "fertility math" for a discussion of the difficulties getting pregnant after 40 (or even 35).

#4 of 4 Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 AM

Don't let anyone tell you it's a waste of time to try!

Try for 6 months on your own, and then if it hasn't worked you can go through the Fertility Clinics.

If you cannot find a local donor, you can get sperm fairly easily through a sperm bank, and do at home inseminations. Do some Googling and find out what banks are near you, and/or will ship to you. Also find out if they will ship to your home, or only to your doctor.

There are also donors around the country who will donate if you supply the shipping container. This site has some more information about that http://www.knowndonorregistry.com.

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page