TTC w/Very Light/Short Periods - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When on birth control, my periods became very light. I was on it for close to 15 years. It was almost uncomfortable to wear a tampon, and they were about 1-2 days max with pretty light flow. I've been off bc for about 4-5 months now, and my periods are still very light and pretty short. My last period was about 3 days of light flow, and around 2 with spotting. 

Does anyone have experience or know about how light/short periods affect TTC? I'm wondering if it's something I should talk to my doctor now about instead of waiting the standard 6 months of not conceiving. 

From some quick research, light periods could possibly indicate you are not ovulating. I charted for this first time last month, and my BBT, a positive OPK, and pain indicate that I did ovulate; is it possible to have all three of those things but not actually ovulate? 

The other possibility is that my uterine lining is insufficient. Lots of different ideas floating around on the internet, but I didn't see anything conclusive.

If anyone has experience with this, I'd love to hear about it! We're just one month into TTC, but I'm wondering if this is an issue that should be discussed with my doctor sooner rather than five more months down the road.
#2 of 6 Old 11-05-2012, 01:34 PM

I have light ones.  My periods were extremely regular though over the years so didn't mess with charting.  Not sure if there is any effect on TTC.

No harm in making an appointment sooner rather than later to discuss any concerns you may have.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#3 of 6 Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

@Sol_y_Paz--That's good to hear! My periods have been regular, although my cycles have lengthened since off birth control. 28 cycles on bc, now up to 31 days off. 

#4 of 6 Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM

My periods were light (very similar to how you describe yours).  I was on BC for about 10 years and they remained light when I stopped BC and started TTC.  I didn't have any problems conceiving my first.  My periods became a lot heavier after giving birth, but again, I didn't have any difficulty conceiving my second.  I think my period might even be a little heavier now after my second was born, or at least the cramping feels worse.  Hoping we'll be just as successful now that we're TTC our third.  Wishing you a BFP soon!

“A woman in Birth is at once her most powerful, and most vulnerable. But any woman who has birthed unhindered understands that we are stronger than we know.” –Marcie Macari
#5 of 6 Old 11-06-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, AngelKissedKids! That's great to hear as well. Good luck with your third!

#6 of 6 Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 PM

My periods were as light as yours before my first baby, and I had no problems conceiving or carrying to term.  Now at 9 months post-partum, my periods seem a lot "healthier" (better color and flow).  I attribute it to being anemic post-partum and paying attention to my iron intake and overall diet (my anemia went away before my periods resumed).  It wouldn't hurt to have your iron levels checked, but it sounds to me like all your symptoms point to ovulatory cycles.  I've also read that using natural progesterone cream can be helpful for preparing the lining of the uterus for implantation.  You can buy it at health food stores and go online to find out how to use it (or ask a midwife).  Good luck!!

Wife to a Mad Scientist and SAHM to my giant toddler boy, born 1/20/12  

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page