thoughts on a flu shot before or during pregnancy? I just read this article... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://gma.yahoo.com/flu-during-pregnancy-linked-autism-212237117--abc-news-health.html

I know they are so many different views/opinions about the flu shot. 

Thoughts?  Opinions?  I am not sure what to think, to be honest...

#2 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

I did not get one with my last pregnancy but we are trying to conceive baby #2 and my husband sent this article to me this morning.  He is for flu shots and I am (usually) not.  Hmmmm. 

#3 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 PM

I wouldn't do it. I've read it can be dangerous. I've heard of women miscarrying after it. I'm too lazy to look up where I saw this, but if you are interested, just do an online search and you'll find info.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#4 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 AM

rule of thumb: if you wouldnt give your baby a flu shot, dont get one yourself while pregnant or ttc. everyone has their own opinions on vax's, so i cant answer for you.

Loving being an modifiedartist.gif artist, photosmile2.gifphotographer, and read.gifbookworm.

lady.gif Last time I used shampoo: March 13, 2012. Go No 'Poo!

treehugger.gifCrunchy momma in training neg.gif Still waiting for my BFP.

angel.gif RIP to my brother, who went to be with God after battling sarcoma 5/26/87-11/1/07

computergeek2.gif

#5 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 PM

I'd get one if I wasn't pregnant if given the opportunity. I wouldn't go crazy trying to be sure to get one in though. Flu Shot is a class C drug so I plan on avoiding it in the future if I know I'm pregnant. Actually I've really just been too lazy to get a flu shot this year. I'm not really worried about getting the flu while pregnant and having my baby get autism. There's too much to worry about these days for things that are beyond our control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi Doss View Post

rule of thumb: if you wouldnt give your baby a flu shot, dont get one yourself while pregnant or ttc. everyone has their own opinions on vax's, so i cant answer for you.

I don't think this is a very good rule of thumb. I wouldn't give my baby prenatal vitamins, a steak dinner, ice cream, etc.. but of course I'd have them myself while pregnant or TTC.

#6 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM

I did not get one during pregnancy either

#7 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 10:55 AM

I wouldn't - I just don't feel that they're safe. Or effective. The flu shot only protects you from a couple of strains of the flu - you could get the shot and put yourself/your baby at risk of side effects from the flu shot, and still end up catching a different strain of the flu.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page