Can being over weight affect TTC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My friend is in the higher end of 'overweight' for her BMI and has been TTC with no success for 8 months now. She is worried it might be due to her weight, does anyone have information on this? I said as long as her cycles are regular then it should be okay, right? And she is very regular. (her partner is slim and healthy and already has a child from a previous relationship, so we don't think it's any problem with him.) Any advice?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 04:44 PM

Yes, being overweight can affect fertility. Has you friend tried charting?

Old 11-19-2012, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Being overweight can definitely affect fertility, but it doesn't seem like doctors are too concerned unless you are technically obese.  It could be her weight, but it could easily be something else.  I wouldn't assume her partner is fine just because he looks healthy and had a child before.  Sperm quality changes over short periods of time.  I also suggest charting and reading a book like Taking Charge of Your Fertility just to be more familiar with how everything works.  After a year, she can go to her doctor for testing unless she is over 35, then she should go now.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejagerw View Post

Yes, being overweight can affect fertility. Has you friend tried charting?

Yes she charts and has a very regular cycle, with a higher temp after ovulation and consistent 11 day luteal phase. So she is sure she ovulates. I don't know her exact BMI but she said it's just below the obese category. How would that affect fertility if her cycles are so regular? I don't know what to tell her, I said to see a doctor but she wants to keep trying for a full 12 months first.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyAC View Post

Being overweight can definitely affect fertility, but it doesn't seem like doctors are too concerned unless you are technically obese. 

I thought that too. Hopefully she won't become obese, as she doesn't seem to gain weight, apart from when she diets and loses a few pounds then gains it back. 

Old 11-20-2012, 12:34 PM

An 11 day luteal phase is not ideal. While still possible to get pregnant, she may want to work on lengthening that. It's good that she's charting, because that's where you can really see issues that need addressing. How's her mucus? Is she getting adequate amounts of EWCM prior to ovulation? How are her temps? Does she run low? People with low BBT might have thyroid issues, which can lead to trouble conceiving. I'd recommend her reading Taking Charge of your Fertility, by Weschler and also Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon. How old is your friend?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy23 View Post

I thought that too. Hopefully she won't become obese, as she doesn't seem to gain weight, apart from when she diets and loses a few pounds then gains it back. 

That right there could be her issue, while weight effects fertility rates Yo-Yo Dieting does worse.

Between the loss and gain of weight it throws your cycle for a loop.

Not to mention if she exercises while she is dieting then stops when she gives up it will also effect a woman's normal cycle. 

Tags
Trying To Conceive
User Tag List