Vitex question (probably a broken record!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I have never posted in a forum like this but I have a question and I'm sure it's a broken record but I am really curious! So I started taking vitex 2 days ago because we have been TTC for almost 6 months with no avail and I was getting pretty distressed. Vitex seems to be a pretty controversial thing but I figured its more natural than approaching the clomid topic so I went for it! Basically, according to my cycle app, I should "technically" be ovulating or near ovulation. Took an OPK- totally negative- not even a hint of a line. I don't think I ovulate, but I can't be entirely sure. I have PCOS, blah blah blah. So here is the question (finally, I apologize!) I've had a headache for the past couple of days- has anyone had this associated with vitex? Or with ovulation? I drink a whole lot of water so I don't know whether my urine is too diluted for a pos to show on the opk or maybe I am just crazy! Probably crazy but I am just nervous about the vitex but I am hoping it works!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 04:47 AM

Hi jjh5351, I would say that 2 days on the cites is way too early to have side effects/to see the benefits. Natural supplements usually take a while to have an effect on the body, like several cycles. Personally, I got extremely nauseous on votes, but only after being on it for two cycles. HTH!

Wife to one amazing man and mama to three!

DD1 (03/09), DD2 (06/11), DS (01/14) love.gif

2014: 30/70lbs, 4/52 crafts
Old 12-22-2012, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think that two days would be too early to show side effects only because most side effects I've ever had from medication has shown up early and subsided. I just don't know if anyone else has had these symptoms related with ovulation or with the vitex. Thanks though!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:12 PM

jjh5351 what KIND of Vitex are you taking? Tincture has less side effects reported than capsules or pills for just about any herb according to most recent research (PDR of Herbs/ Susun Weed, etc.)  Aside from buying Vitex tincture you can make it with dried vitex berry and 100 proof vodka (directions on www.susunweed.com and in her books and on her youtube channel) Susun recommends buying the Vitex tincture and putting up some of your own, letting it tincture for a year and then using it although technically it's ready to use after 6 weeks, she feels the longer tincture time is beneficial. I buy mine from Catskill Mountain Herbs.  Hope I didn't overload you on info!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM

Darbycrash has a good point, I was taking the tincture and so I didn't have any side effects until a couple of cycles in...

Old 12-23-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ohh ok! Maybe I should buy the tincture. I don't seem to be having the same side effects as I was so I am sort of wondering if it was ovulation. I drink a whole lot of water and so I sometimes wonder if my urine is ever appropriate for an OPK. Ugh this is all so difficult. I really hope the vitex, prenatals
Old 12-23-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Oh shoot. Posting from a phone sorry! And other vitamins work. I really appreciate the info from both of you. I'm already pretty nervous about the vitex just because it works for some and not others. I just do NOT want to do clomid! Did vitex work for you guys?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:43 PM

I can't say if it worked or not, as far as TTC goes, since we weren't trying when I was taking it, and now I'm not taking it anymore cause the nausea was too awful, however it DID seem to regulate my cycles. I've also heard good things about maca and especially soy isoflavones for TTC. Apparently they work like clomid, and you take them like you would clomid (cd 3-8, I believe...)

Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 PM

Red Clover infusion, accupuncture and Maya Abdominal Massage worked best for me for #1, though I am now taking Vitex tinc with the hopes of getting #2.  OPK never worked for me because I drank too much (water and herbal infusions).  You have to get the dry lips from lack of drinking to have them work really well.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Do the soy and maca work for PMS and acne too? That was another HUGE reason I am taking the Vitex- I read that it works wonders for those things. I have a somewhat regular period- just a little unpredictable and the whole ovulation issue. My PCOS really freaks me out and I want to try natural as much as I can because I am still young (23, not that age makes much of a difference if you're ready for a baby). 

Darby- I'm so scared of accupuncture and I don't even know if I could find many places that do it here! Was it terribly expensive? That's another concern, somewhat. I may try out something new in a few months if the Vitex doesn't work, or if it screws me up. Everything I've read has said that you need it a few cycles. I may also consider the tincture if it doesn't pan out.

What brand of the herbs and such did you ladies use? I read good reviews on the kind I bought but you just never know. Not all supplements are made alike! 

Old 12-23-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

And the idea of dry mouth/dry lips type of thirsty just for OPK just doesn't work for me! I hate being thirsty and water is GOOD for me so I keep on chugging! Suppose I'll just continue with my ways and forget about those pesky tests!

Tags
Trying To Conceive
User Tag List