Mothering Forum banner

Taking The Scenic Route to a BFP - Winter/Spring 2013 Edition

48K views 2K replies 28 participants last post by  Shell77 
#1 ·
Taking The Scenic Route to a BFP

Winter/Spring 2013

Hello and Welcome!

The original "Scenic Route" thread was started by Sherryvhkb and can be found here. This is a continuation.

"This is a "grad thread" of sorts for us 1st cycle on Clomid ladies.....who are no longer on our first cycle of Clomid but have enjoyed each others company and support. It is also for all those who have neen lurking, following, chiming in and cheering us on. It is for a group of women all trying to get to the same place by taking the roads less traveled. We all have a journey here- some longer- some harder...we all at different times come up against obstacles and uphill climbs...and in between it all we share our fears, choices, hopes, frustrations, and accomplishments, and throw in a little bit of everyday life too." - Sherryvhkb

So whether you have chosen to pursue infertility treatments, alternative treatments, or have been at this a while and just want to learn more, feel free to jump in and get to know us!

See less See more
#677 ·
Finally at the computer. Time to catch up!

Indie - I like the questions that you are planning on asking your RE. And, she's been really good at explaining her reasoning in the past, so hopefully, she'll be able to explain her thoughts to these questions too. It's so nuts that AF showed up when she did, but clearly she is looking out for you. What a relief that the timing will work out! that's just so wonderful. I hope your appointment on Monday shows no issues and you can just relax prior to IVF.

TF - Wowee! You've been through the ringer and back. I swear, if another pregnant woman graces you with her presence... And, I"m so happy your RE realized what a horrible VM that was for you to hear. At least he's got a sensitive side. I swear that the docs seem to be so much better with patients than the nurses in my experience. And, it sucks b/c you deal with the nurses so much more than the docs. I hope your HCG is down to zero soon. And, that sounds like a great idea to do a natural FET. Way less stress with fewer meds. Will it also mean a faster cycle?

Daurelia - I hope you are wrong and you just tested too early. I thought you said there was some confusion about what DPO you are. It sucks to feel like you are all "fixed" and the first cycle was a bust. But, even the most fertile people don't get pregnant every single try. And, we know the doc is so thorough that if you do have any other issues, she'll find them. I have spent SO many months planning for the future. Each miscarrige, the timing was perfect and then I'd have to adjust to the fact that my baby won't be born in October, or June, or August. It sucks really bad. I just know I'll end up with a baby born at the "worst" time, but it won't be the worst time at all b/c I'll finally have that baby I've wanted for years.

Sila - Woohoo!!! I can't wait for 2 weeks from now. This is just so freaking exciting! Sounds like everything went according to plan. Hope you took chuord's advice and gave yourself a happy ending
orngbiggrin.gif

Jpack - can't wait to hear how your monitoring appointment went. Glad you had a great time at the conference.

AFM - So, I'm something like 10 or 11 DPO and 6 days past the booster trigger. I'm not temping, so I'm not keeping track very well. I have to call to schedule my beta for Friday. I'm totally unsure if I think this cycle is a bust or not. I usually test early when I think it's a bust. I'm too scared to test, which makes me think I have a chance. I'm sure that being on progesterone AND estrogen is just messing with my head. I don't really have any specific symptoms. Nothing that I can't explain away, anyways. So, I think I'm going to either test tomorrow morning or wait and test Friday morning before the beta. I hate medicated cycles b/c then I have to hear from someone else if this worked or not. If I just take a test and it's negative, I can cry and move on. If I have to wait for a phone call for someone else to tell me the cycle failed, I just feel so vulnerable and exposed.

In more positive news, my ACL is not torn! I just damaged the cartilage behind my kneecap. I'll need weekly physical therapy and can't do any cardio except swimming and biking. The 10 inches of snow outside makes biking hard. I don't belong to a gym, so I'm not sure about the swimming. I've been just eating and not exercising. Not a good situation. I need to exercise or I just turn into an unhappy ball of jello. So, trying to figure out how to solve this little problem.

#678 ·
I read through all of the posts, but I'm short on time. Just wanted to swing by with a little update!

Daurelia - I'm so sorry about the bfn. That's so hard. I've planned around so many babies that never came...

AFM - U/s this morning confirmed that I ovulated 3 of my follicles. There was still 1 hanging out in there that should ovulated by tonight. So it looks like great timing all around! IUI #2, another good sample. 19.5 million after wash motile swimmers. I was surprised that it was only 1mil less than yesterday. Between ovulating all these follicles and the IUI's I'm just all around crampy. Starting progesterone tonight for the first time ever! I'm really hoping that finally adding progesterone plus all these eggs is we need! I've got a lot planned to keep me busy the next 2 weeks. Let the wait begin...

#679 ·
Sila - yay that sounds soo promising! Fx!
Indie, TF - I'm sorry both of you had such crappy calls from the people that were meant to be 'looking after' you... TF I'm glad your re apologized, very classy! Dh old dental practice the p manager would read the obituaries every day and remove patients appropriately to save the pain to people - I always thought that a kind thing.
TF - I am willing AF on for you, I know the road is been awful but you are being so brave
Indie - I still can't believe AF is cooperating lol - that never happens! Fx everything goes well Monday, and that any discomfort is gone quickly so you are good to travel!
Daurelia - I'm the eternal optimist - hang in there, like the others said its only the first cycle, they may tweak quantities or your body need time to adjust. Hugs on the disappointment
SKJ - woohoo on the acl!!!!! I'm so happy for you on that, re swimming - aren't there separate public swimming pools? They are normally not as expensive... Mama's got to have a stress outlet after all ? especially while ttc! Fx for the testing... I'm still hopeful for you this cycle!
Chrissy, shell, Gtree, bebe - hi there

Afm - ok no symptoms that I can see... My therapist (natural) says my bloating is diet etc not pregnancy, would you believe my body told her I eat too much!!! How very rude lol and some of the wrong stuff... I'm not getting much nausea, am getting sinusy, my tummy feels tender if I lie on it (but could be its too fat lol) oh this morning my protein shake (that I have every day and love) tastes like watered down milk with grit in it - hopeful? Today we have to drive 50 mins to collect dh parents, drive back so they can drop off their passport apps in person, go to lunch, then drive them home and us home - 200mins of driving! Eeww... It's dh bday too so I was hoping for some random BDing (trying to break the suspicious fertile week) but likely I'll be too tired - oh and the restaurant is a top Japanese one, but no sushi for me while waiting... Ok whinge over - me and dh parents have taken years to rebuild a relationship but I still feel wary... (Let me know when you're bored for that story) so since I'm new to charting can you guys tell if this is looking good or bad?? Oh just has some cramping... No it's digestion making me cramp lol - any good? Hehehe I'll distract and keep you all entertained for the next week - the paranoia is on the house ??

#680 ·
Oh serious question - dies the temp stop going up and plateau at any stage? I'll turn into an inferno if this keeps up!

#681 ·
Chuord - Hey it's my birthday today too! No birthday sex for me though...just the sperm lol. My RE's office kept saying how maybe this cycle will be lucky for us since we did our last IUI on my birthday. If your temps keep going up it could be triphasic which is a pregnancy sign. It may even out too. You just don't want it going down and staying down!

#682 ·
Happy birthday Sila!!!! Wow fx for an amazing present! Thanks for the info, I knew that the temp dip was bad - but didn't realize a climb was good... Have to google triphasic now lol...

#683 ·
Sila- Happy Birthday! I know so many people with birthdays this week, cousins, friends, an ex and both of my parents! What a great week to be born! I hope you are getting the worlds best birthday present in 2 weeks. Sounds like everything went swimmingly today!

Chourd- That is a lot of driving! Hope his b-day ended up nice and you found something delicious at the restaurant. Your chart looks perfect from what I remember of charting... symptom spot all you want!

SKJ- Great news about your ACL, glad to have one less thing to worry about. Can you do yoga or join a cheapie place like Planet Fitness or Work out World just to use the bike some? It is so frustrating during the winter. I don't run anyway but I love walking our neighborhood with the dogs and the winter makes it impossible, also it is COLD and I hate the cold :( I think being scared to take the test is a good sign. I'm hoping all kinds of good things for tomorrow or Friday. The phone call from the doc is the worst, even when it is positive they aren't as excited as you want them to be, they don't understand what a freekin miracle it is... I'm praying so hard for that excitement for you!

indie- I asked a little about the endo today and he seems to think that aside from egg quality it really doesn't affect anything else. Obviously he is in the corner of disbelief about endo and miscarriage. Thats where my supplementing with Proanthenols 100 (pycnogenol blend) and wobenzym n to reduce inflammation (also breaks down scar tissue) comes in. To protect myself. It is such a complicated balance with endo... I'm interested how my next 2 AF's will be, better or worse than before pregnancy... I know full term pregnancy can cure endo, how about 10 weeks? Doubtful, right? I'm interested in what your doctor says though.

AFM- Drinking some red wine tonight. My acupuncturist said to have fermented foods like kombucha, yogurt and kefir. Wine is fermented, right?

I have my first appt with a therapist tomorrow night. I'm hoping the snow doesn't get my appt cancelled... turns out she is right next door to my work so that is convenient.

#684 ·
Tf - lol wine is totally fermented, as is beer, etc... Great call!

#685 ·
Wine is totally fermented haha!

So my tmi first QOTD: What do you guys do about vaginal progesterone and sex? Obviously at night I should put in after we do the deed, but that's ok right? It mixing with DH's stuff up there and all?

#686 ·
Sila- The progesterone should be fine. What kind are you using? I recommend pantiliners. That ish goes everywhere in a gush when you least expect it.

AFM- I get anxiety as soon as I get to work. I'm not sure what the issue is but I can't wait to be able to go back to yoga so I can de-stress. I want my life back.

#688 ·
eeeeek!!!!! congrats skj!!!!

happy birthday, sila!!

toothfairy - excited to head about therapy... i'm so sorry about the anxiety. any chance you can take a little vacation to somewhere warm? the sun does so much for emotional pain. i hate this for you.

#689 ·
TF - Ok thanks. The nurse mentioned that too! It just says "vaginal progesterone" no brand name. I'm sorry about the anxiety! I hate anxiety! I can't wait to get back to yoga either. It really really helps me with that stuff. I missed all last week bc of my RE appts and the no exercising thing. I think I might go tomorrow...

SKJ - YAYYYY! The trigger is out right??? How many dpo are you now? Because that is a good looking line! When is your beta scheduled for?

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone!

#691 ·
OMG SKJ that is a second line!!!! Yay!!!!!

#692 ·
Thanks ladies. I'm 11 or 12 dpo. I did a second trigger 7 days ago. My first trigger was out when I tested 6 days later. I know I can't be sure if this is trigger or not, but I feel like 7 days past trigger should just be a squniter? The test looks much darker in person. Probably the darkest test at the same DPO that I've ever had. So, I hope that means part of it is an new pg and not just the trigger. My beta is tomorrow at 830.

#693 ·
SKJ, I am so excited for you! First treatment cycle with the new AMAZING doc, right?! Back later with more but I am sooooo excited for you (and am stealing your treatment for my next cycle!) very excited for your beta (and so happy for you they are doing it early even with the trigger).

Quick afm, no word yet but all my follies were 12 and under, cd11. Totally the opposite of what I was expecting following a 8mm one on cd3 and 100mg clomid 3-7. Waiting to hear more of an explanation. Very curious...

#695 ·
jpack - I think some women respond better to lower doses of Clomid. That was the case for me. It's usually true for DOR women I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I hope you get a big jump soon. And, that you have success on this round.

AFM - I called the nurse and she said, good news! I said, is it? She said it could be the trigger, but we'll know for sure tomorrow. Not sure how they will know from one beta. I guess if it's above a certain level. I'm so unsure. Part of me thinks this is it, but the other part of me worries that it's just the trigger.

#696 ·
OMG SKJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is huge!!! You are saying it might be a false positive though because of your treatment? That's a head scratcher. But still, tentatively very excited for you! OUR DOCTOR IS AMAZING!!!!!

jpack, keep us updated...

Chuord, your chart looks perfect to me. That dip in temp is a really good sign of healthy ovulation, I've heard.

Sila, happy birthday!!!!!

AFM. I've calmed down a bit. Yesterday when I was feeling so blue, my boss asked me if I wanted to present at this major national conference in NOLA in November!!! Is that kismet or what? So that's a pretty nice silver lining. Trying to remind myself of all the fun things I can do for the next few weeks-- AND all the life things I can do in November-- if I'm not pregnant, like the conference....

Still pretty sure I'm out this cycle although the nurses at my office say I can't reliably test (or stop progesterone) until Sunday, since I'm only 12 DPO now. So no whiskey soaked sushi weekend after all, even if I'm not pregnant, BOO. I'm just at that point where I NEED to know but I'm trying to simmer down! SKJ-- we are cycle buddies this month, the fact that you have a BFP on this day makes me feel like if I were PG maybe I would get one too?? I dunno, I didn't test today... but I will tomorrow.

#697 ·
daurelia - Thanks! I took a shot of hcg (ovidrel) to force ovulation the Friday before last. I was instructed to do another shot a week ago, which was to help support my progesterone levels. I tested a week ago to see if the pregnancy test would still be sensing the first shot and the test was totally negative. So, I figure that the test would likely be negative today if I wasn't pregnant, or would at least be very light. But, it could be that the test is just picking up the second hcg shot. It's too hard to tell. I called the doc and the nurse said that we will know for sure tomorrow based on my blood test, so I guess I just have to wait. I'm feeling rather "out of sorts" today, so hopeful that this is really it and not the trigger. As for you not getting a BFP, it totally depends on when you implant and how fast your hcg is rising. There are plenty of women that don't get early BFPs.

That's wonderful about the conference!! I hope you give your talk with a huge baby belly
smile.gif

chuord - I totally agree with daurelis - the dip in temp is a really good sign. And, there are a lot of pg charts that have a slow rise like your chart is showing. Fingers crossed!!

sila - for crinone, I know I read on their website that sex is totally ok. I think we only did it once b/c DH is easily grossed out and I think he gets his needs met during the early part of the cycle. I guess that's what 15 years together does for us
smile.gif
How would you feel about multiples? How many babies should I be hoping for?

TF - I"m so sorry about the anxiety. I hope the therapist is helpful. I'm taking anti-depressants to help with anxiety, so I can relate to how much it truly sucks. I hope your time at the office gets back to normal soon Big hugs.

#698 ·
Daurelia, glad you're feeling better. You're certainly in good company in the hypothetical planning and letdown!

I made a new friend (and got a new recommendation for a new RE) who's in mc #4. I feel so badly for her...

I'm literally on the table, waiting for them to start the histeroscopy. So I'll finish this post a little later...
wink1.gif

#699 ·
TF - hugs, I agree with indie a vacation, for the sanity the least child friendly place you can think of (you've seen enough do a while!) I had terrible anxiety after me burnout - it lasted for months (different to you'd I'm sure) on thing that really worked for me was I loaded a relaxation meditation cd onto my MP3 player and I fell asleep while listening to it - it was amazing, I slept better, felt more relaxed and had more tranquil dreams... I'm sure it would work for you as you are in tune enough to be relaxed by yoga. Please just be kind and gentle to yourself, you will heal when your body has had the chance to mourn, enjoy being able to pour your heart out to the therapist - I found that helped to, lol although I got the feeling she enjoyed talking to me because despite the issues I was positive. She actually apologized to me because a DUMB gp I saw told me I was bipolar (not a problem in itself, but when you know you're not it was very confusing) and trued to put me on antidepressants - which made me nauseous and killed the tiny appetite i had... therapist said that the gp in question is a clinically depressed person - so anyone cheerful to her must have a problem... TF like you with the babies I really didn't need that right then!!!

SKJ - that is soo totally pink!!!! Trigger is out?? Woohoo!!!! This is very exciting... Keep us informed of every development!! (Vicariously here)

Indie - appointment today? All going ahead for Monday?
Sila - when do you go in for your next appt? At the end of tww?

Afm - ok yesterday (I'm pissed at dh parents - soo selfish) we drove down and collected them, drove back - by then we were running half hour late, so we went to the consul here and their passport photos were wrong, then g's dad (ex Australian ambassador from Taiwan) had to ask for the consul to socialize... (It was meant to be a 20-30 min drop off) so I waited in the car park (underground, hot) 2hrs later his consequence was puffed up enough to leave - they had freakin tea up there!!! Then to add insult to injury they took an extra ten minutes to go to the toilet - I was Hot and busting!!! It was 3pm by then so all the nice restaurants were closed after lunch till dinner... So we went to red rooster threw down some food and drive them home... At least we (dh and I) could laugh together... They do this all the time it's always about them, I've only heard them congratulate him once and he has three freakin degrees! !! Do we stopped at Krispy cream on the way home, told the lady it was his birthday, and besides his mixed dozen she gave him a free doughnut, and was excited about his bday - as he walked away he was happy and said - this feels a bit more like a bday.... Arrr!!! Sorry about the non pg rant.. They have one child, g had an older brother (4 yrs) he was stillborn - to me after an experience like that and trying and failing having more you would cherish the one you have?? ?? Oh aside I heard on a podcast Aussie dr Karl that you can only catch a yawn if you are an emotionally tender person - I catch them from the cat.. Lol
Temp went up the same amount again this morning - lol I still feel like I'll cook internally and some cramping yesterday lower down
Thank you for listening xxxx

#700 ·
Cross posted... SKJ - woohoo again, I can't wait to see the beta results - they'll get back to you later tomorrow right? I'm guessing you're right they can tell by the strength of the numbers - and feeling icky is and awesome thing!!!! If this is real I don't care do much if mine is a bust!
Indie - sorry I keep forgetting its still only Thursday there....appt is tomorrow right (or today here lol)
Jpack - hope it goes well today!
Sila - yes, how many are we hoping for??

Also thanks for looking at my chart - I stopped after O last month so have no idea what is normal for me.... My natural lady at 5 dpo said there wasn't any hint if pg yet - so I'm trying to stay optimistic, that she can't tell before implantation? Oh well one more week to wait...

#701 ·
SKJ - My clinic is the same about being very careful to make sure it's not the trigger. When I asked about early testing they said the only real way they can know if it's not the trigger is a beta. I'm pretty sure it did have to do with it being above a certain number, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember what that number was... I guess we will find out tomorrow!!! I don't think I have Crinone, but whatever it is, I'm with you all on it being gross. My DH is easily grossed out about these things too so guess no sexy time for a while, maybe a long while if I'm pg (freaks me out early bc of the losses)! Ugh, you've planted ideas in my head about testing out the trigger. I only did 5,000 so it should be out after Saturday, but I promised myself I wouldn't go down that mind f**ck again...

Jpack - I don't have an explanation for you...I know should ovulate between 6-12 days after the last dose of Clomid. I hope they start growing faster and that the hysterscopy wasn't too bad...So sorry for your friend...how sad.

Daurelia - I'm glad you are focusing on the positive! I'm hoping that's your last big work event before you head off to maternity leave :) Hang in there just a few more days. You "need" to know is totally valid!

TF - March is a great month to be born! How was the therapy session?

Chuord - I'm going back on Weds to have my progesterone tested to make sure the supplement I'm using is working and my progesterone is right where they want it. It feels good to have such a long break in between appts and not being going into the clinic every day! Sorry about the rough day! Sounds like your progesterone levels are probably good based on your reactions to the situation ;) I hope it's not just me that gets to feelin a little crazy during the 2ww. Glad dh still enjoyed bits of his birthday though!

Re Multiples: As long as more than 0 eggs fertilize I'm fine with whatever number of babies we end up with! We could make anything work honestly. The early years would be rough for sure, but looking back I'm sure it would be rewarding. With twins I'm giving up my love for home birth (with I am ok with now) and I obviously don't like the higher risk pregnancy and higher rate of complications stuff, but a 2 for 1 would be nice since we do want more kids but I'm not sure I could go down this road again. I dreamed last night that I had 4 babies. It was the easiest labor ever, I didn't feel anything, they just slid out! I was so casual about it and had the breastfeeding thing all worked out haha. I totally forgot until many hrs later this morning that 4 babies could actually be a possibility...

AFM - Headed to acupuncture! Shelling out some $ for 2 sessions during the 2ww to encourage things to work out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.