question about a short ovulatory phase and how it impacts fertility. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 38 and bf'ing my 2yo.

that said, i'm curious if anyone here knows what causes a short ovulatory phase and how/why exactly it impacts fertility. i've had two of these cycles since my 2yo's birth, the 2nd coinciding this month w/ our TTC #6! dh and i dtd every day leading up to the day before O (which happened on cd11) and i had fertile qulaity cm throughout. i wonder if my egg fertilized and just didn't implant because of the short ovulatory phase somehow? i'm intrigued and hope somebody here knows more than i!

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!
#2 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM

I am 12 weeks pregnant from ovulation occuring on CD12.

angel1.gif 03/11 angel1.gif 07/11 angel1.gif 01/12 

If at first you don't succeed: babyboy.gif 07/26/13

#3 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 AM

Are you referring to short luteal phase?

DD 12/10/04 homebirth.jpg & DS 7/25/08 h20homebirth.gif

#4 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

hi herbalshakti, no, my luteal phases are always right at about the 14th day mark. it's the first part of my cycle, the days leading up to ovulation that seem to be short sometimes. i did a bit more research and found that mine are still w/ in "normal" range (anything under 8 days is not) and that typically the issue is the egg not having enough time to mature before being released from the ovary.  

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!
#5 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 PM

Oh! You mean follicular phase! Or preovulatory phase.
I thought so but then was thrown off when you went into conversation about implantation and such.

a short follicular phase affects fertility because it doesn't give the follicles a chance to properly mature., Exactly as you mentioned:) I believe this is often due to an estrogen deficiency and/or decline of ovarian reserve

From my understanding, there seems to be some confusion around distinguishing short or not follicular phases. Some people include mensturation in this phase which would mean that for five days of bleeding plus days leading to ovulation, anything under 12 or so would be considered short. Excluding menses, 7 or more days is not considered short.

it seems from your post that your cycles are adjusting to changes due to bfing and perhaps the sleep territory that comes with it, are you sleeping in complete darkness?

DD 12/10/04 homebirth.jpg & DS 7/25/08 h20homebirth.gif

#6 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

i can see how i threw you off--i was thrown off too! lol.

i'm not sure i understand the sleep/fertile connection. is this typical for nursing? i've never ttc while nursing before, so never had a reason to chart my cycles. i co-sleep and nurse my 2yo on demand through the night, and several times throughout the day. but again, i'm also 38.

#7 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I am also pregnant from ovulating on CD12.  I took Vitex for a while and it moved my O day to CD 14 or 15 and thus made my whole cycle longer.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page