Fabulous Forty Somethings TTC! - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

#661 of 730 Old 06-27-2014, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I wanted to pop in and send loads of fairy dust and/or sticky insides, depending on what you need!
I'm just returning to the site; I had a MC in April which took a while for me to get through. I was a mess through last month's ovulation and this month's was last week, so . . . we'll see. Tender boobies make me want to hope beyond hope, but I'm trying to hold that tsunami at bay at least until my period is due next weekend.
I've been mostly a voyeur here but it's nonetheless been a place where I can go to feel rejuvenated. Thanks to all you amazing ladies for that.
#662 of 730 Old 06-27-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Welcome back lilybean! Kmfx for great news next weekend and no af.

I'm not really interested in finding an OB that is sympathetic to UC. I don't think that actually exists? My family physician back in St Louis was respectful of my choices, but doubt an OB would be. I'm all the way over in North Carolina now.
Should I choose to go the OB route, I will certainly hope for one that will be as supportive of natural birth as I can hope for. Obviously there won't be much time for searching, so my thoughts are that if I must go that route I will be looking more at hospitals than physicians. If lo turns vertex I believe I will go forth with my original plans. If not, I just don't know.
This MW is coming by today for our initial interview. I was planning to ask her to do the newborn check since she could come to me instead of my having to drive to the other one. This was at the suggestion of the first MW. Anyway, I'm hoping she might be able to decipher where the baby is now after doing the Webster technique and spinning babies for the last week and a half. The chiropractor offered to come to my birth, no extra charge for a home visit, if I felt I needed her. She charges $20.
Hugs mamas.
Do lemme know I'd you'd rather I just shut up about all of this. I know we are a ttc group and I don't really belong right now. I guess after 15 months of hanging out here it just feels most comfortable. But I would still understand if I'm offending anyone.

him-- ds 3/91, me -- ds 5/93
us - dd 2/00, ds 8/02, ds 5/07, dd 2/11 & cautiously expecting baby girl 8/14
#663 of 730 Old 07-01-2014, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caritasrainbow View Post
Welcome back lilybean! Kmfx for great news next weekend and no af.

I'm not really interested in finding an OB that is sympathetic to UC. I don't think that actually exists? My family physician back in St Louis was respectful of my choices, but doubt an OB would be. I'm all the way over in North Carolina now.
Should I choose to go the OB route, I will certainly hope for one that will be as supportive of natural birth as I can hope for. Obviously there won't be much time for searching, so my thoughts are that if I must go that route I will be looking more at hospitals than physicians. If lo turns vertex I believe I will go forth with my original plans. If not, I just don't know.
This MW is coming by today for our initial interview. I was planning to ask her to do the newborn check since she could come to me instead of my having to drive to the other one. This was at the suggestion of the first MW. Anyway, I'm hoping she might be able to decipher where the baby is now after doing the Webster technique and spinning babies for the last week and a half. The chiropractor offered to come to my birth, no extra charge for a home visit, if I felt I needed her. She charges $20.
Hugs mamas.
Do lemme know I'd you'd rather I just shut up about all of this. I know we are a ttc group and I don't really belong right now. I guess after 15 months of hanging out here it just feels most comfortable. But I would still understand if I'm offending anyone.
this is a great place for that...i am sure there are many over 40s that like to hear what happens next.
#664 of 730 Old 07-01-2014, 07:40 AM

The second mw (one I saw Friday) determined lo to be oblique breech. She moved from transverse, but not heads down. Her approach to breech birth did not fit with my own and seemed more like torture. Also, I felt judged by her and I just don't think the fit was a good one. Never mind I still don't have the $$ to pay her out of pocket. She seemed to be pushing for homebirth no matter what, and did not seem open to the idea of anything else. Her suggestion if I decide to go the hospital route was to wait until I'm in labor and show up at the ER. I don't like that idea when I have time in advance to make other plans.
I will see my chiro tomorrow for another adjustment. The MW suggested I see her at 35+6 to check position again and if not optimal, see her recommended chiro before making my decision.
I'm quite torn and now the question of my anemia has resurfaced in my mind as I was doing great with the increase in iron until yesterday, when my symptoms reappeared. The mw showed no concern there, but I feel that is a very real concern.
So I sit debating whether or not to just call and make an OB appt. Afraid if I wait there will be no OB to see and afraid if I see one, my iron will miraculously get under control and lo will flip and I will once again be in a prime place to have the birth I'd been planning. But now have another OB to disappoint as I do not want to try a regular birth in hospital if I can help it. Worse yet, they decide on an induction- my #1 worst case scenario. I believe I'd rather a section than an induction.
So the struggle continues.

#665 of 730 Old 07-01-2014, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Chilee!

Welcome, Honeybun and Lilybean! I'm a low-volume participant here, as I'm starting to step away from TTC. But I like to stop in and check up on everyone

Carita, I'm so glad to hear you didn't have a clot in your leg! But so sorry you're still having difficulties with providers. Also sorry that others mamas planning UCs are being judgey with you, what's up with that? You have a lot of experience with this, and you know how your body works and how it births.

I know you were concerned about seeing an OB in the event that your blood pressure stabilizes and baby turns (prayers being sent your way for both!) and you can go ahead with plan A. But... couldn't you do that anyway? I mean, what if you found an OB you liked, started seeing her, and birthed in a hospital if you have wacky BP/breech baby... but if BP normalizes and baby turns, you go ahead and have your UC at home? Is the problem that for that you would need a midwife on call, not an OB? I do think it's important to have a provider you like and trust, whether midwife or OB.

I personally, for my body and the way it works and births, would most definitely want a hospital very close at hand... although I had a beautiful drug-free vaginal birth with DD, there were also unexpected complications at the last minute that made me actually glad to be in a hospital (shoulder dystocia, massive blood loss... I fear one or both of us might have perished at home without medical help). So I think if I ever have another baby, I'll probably just try to find the most pro-natural-childbirth OB I can find and do it in a hospital (which is what I did with #1 ). BUT you have a very different situation, having successfully birthed a few babies at home. So you know what's best for you!

What does your partner feel about all of this?

BTW, my two cents'... there is absolutely nothing in any way hurtful or offensive about a wonderfully pregnant mama staying on board here! I personally love to hear your updates and I suspect that seeing a 40+ mama pregnant is nothing but inspiring to others. In the "old days" (that Chilee and I remember) there were a number of women who got pregnant and stayed so we could cheer them on.
sherryvhkb likes this.

treehugger.gif Mama to 1 lovely DD,  angel1.gif 1/12 @ 8 weeks (ectopic), angel1.gif 1/14 @ 7 weeks, many chemical pregnancies, TTC DH'S #1, my #2
#666 of 730 Old 07-02-2014, 08:07 PM

Has anyone in our over 40 group tried liquid vitex? A natural doctor wants me to take it (2 full droppers a day up until day 12 of cycle) then switch to progesterone cream. Did vitex help or make things worse? I'm a little worried about taking it because I've heard it can also mess up your cycle.

Are any of you getting positive OPK's? I can't get a reading anymore (maybe because I was still nursing-finally stopped)...but I know I'm ovulating due to temperature rise as well as ov pains. So the LH surge is weaker? Maybe what help is needed is stronger hormones over 40? (which is what clomid does)...however when I asked the doc about clomid he said "don't do that to your body" 0_0

BTW, yes I too love hearing updates from pregnant over 40's! (glad your pregnancy is progressing well Caritasrainbow, hope the baby turns!)

vegan with a son, 4. also mom to rescue furry babies esp. my little girl Babe Doll.
no vaccines, no circumcision, baby born in birth center, still nursing.
"Shall we end this bleeding?” -- Lincoln
#667 of 730 Old 07-03-2014, 09:58 AM

Hi Nexxus,

On Vitex... I resisted taking it for years because I feared it would mess up my "good enough" cycles... I was already getting a strong LH surge and O every month and my LP was technically long enough. But then I decided to try it, in a "what the heck" kind of way. I'm glad I did. I had been ovulating a little early (around cd12) and my LP was a little anemic (low temps, only lasting around 12 days). Vitex helped with both of those things, and pretty quickly I had a textbook 28-day cycle. Also, around 6 months after I started it, I got pregnant. It was a missed miscarriage, but even during that m/c, I had fantastic hormone levels (HCG and progesterone). So at least I had the hormonal balance thing going on.

I stopped taking it for a while recently because I wanted to try letrozole again, and vitex opposes it (letrozole lowers estrogen while vitex generally raises it). But, I'm back on it now and looking forward to rebalancing my hormones (I think letrozole messed up my cycles again).

I take either 3 droppersful of the tincture, or 3 caplets of the powdered stuff (for around 1,200 mg per day). But, I take it throughout my cycle. Did your naturopath tell you why s/he would only want you to take it in the follicular phase? I've always heard it can be helpful to take it during LP and pregnancy as well, since it supports progesterone production. I hope I'm not doing it wrong!

I'm sorry, I can't help you with the LH question, as I've continued to have strong LH surges every month. But.. vitex might help with that! I've heard that it can help your body increase its own natural levels of LH.

Oh, one other thing it can do is give you a heavier flow. Since mine was starting to be on the lighter side, I didn't mind. But if you already have a heavy flow, that's just something to consider.

Good luck and keep us posted!

treehugger.gif Mama to 1 lovely DD,  angel1.gif 1/12 @ 8 weeks (ectopic), angel1.gif 1/14 @ 7 weeks, many chemical pregnancies, TTC DH'S #1, my #2
#668 of 730 Old 07-03-2014, 11:13 AM

So after MUCH thought, I finally made the phone call to get into an OB. I decided that the risks were beginning to outweigh the benefits and came to terms with a hospital birth, be it c section or vaginal. Three days later I was informed that I could not be seen due to how far along I am. I explained that I have no dr. They told me to go back to my original OB. I explained that she would not see me, they reiterated that it was decided "across the board" that they would not accept me as a patient. I called my original OB to let them know what position I was in. They gave me the run around.
The way it works where I live, there is one central system that is all connected. Through that system there are four or five maternity practices. Each of those then has several offices. All of these cover where I live, including the nearest neighboring state.
None of this seems legal to me, but of course anyone has a right to refuse anyone I guess. I've no idea what the original OB put in my file. She cancelled the first appt, I was unable to reschedule the following month, and the next month she sent the termination letter. I never refused a test nor refused to cooperate with anything she said or did. I never brought up home birth with her.
So my only options at this point are UC or show up at an ER when in labor. Part of my reason for seeing an OB was that I'm not sure it's safe to go over at my age. Also scared to go into labor if baby is transverse for fear of cord prolapse. But I can't show up at 39 weeks and say hey I'm due in a week and have no dr.
I cried all morning and now I just feel depressed. Overwhelmed. And scared.

#669 of 730 Old 07-03-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
So after MUCH thought, I finally made the phone call to get into an OB. I decided that the risks were beginning to outweigh the benefits and came to terms with a hospital birth, be it c section or vaginal. Three days later I was informed that I could not be seen due to how far along I am. I explained that I have no dr. They told me to go back to my original OB. I explained that she would not see me, they reiterated that it was decided "across the board" that they would not accept me as a patient. I called my original OB to let them know what position I was in. They gave me the run around.
The way it works where I live, there is one central system that is all connected. Through that system there are four or five maternity practices. Each of those then has several offices. All of these cover where I live, including the nearest neighboring state.
None of this seems legal to me, but of course anyone has a right to refuse anyone I guess. I've no idea what the original OB put in my file. She cancelled the first appt, I was unable to reschedule the following month, and the next month she sent the termination letter. I never refused a test nor refused to cooperate with anything she said or did. I never brought up home birth with her.
So my only options at this point are UC or show up at an ER when in labor. Part of my reason for seeing an OB was that I'm not sure it's safe to go over at my age. Also scared to go into labor if baby is transverse for fear of cord prolapse. But I can't show up at 39 weeks and say hey I'm due in a week and have no dr.
Carita, huge huge hugs to you ((( hugs ))). This is just terrible. I'm so sorry!

I also don't see how it could be legal to turn away a pregnant woman in need of prenatal and L&D care? I lost my wonderful original OB when I was in my third trimester, she moved to another state. I felt abandoned, angry, scared, etc. But I did find another practice (with rotating OBs, not one particular doc that was assigned to me) that took me in, even at my late stage of pregnancy. This was in CA. Maybe it's different in your state?

It was my original practice that helped me find the new one. Can you ask your original OB or the new OB you wanted to see... if they aren't willing to see you, can they at least provide you with a referral to a practice that will take you in? Did you ever have any other women's health practitioner (like a gyn or NP) whose help you could enlist to try to find a practice? It sounds like you could use an advocate.

#670 of 730 Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitMama View Post
Carita, huge huge hugs to you ((( hugs ))). This is just terrible. I'm so sorry!

I also don't see how it could be legal to turn away a pregnant woman in need of prenatal and L&D care? I lost my wonderful original OB when I was in my third trimester, she moved to another state. I felt abandoned, angry, scared, etc. But I did find another practice (with rotating OBs, not one particular doc that was assigned to me) that took me in, even at my late stage of pregnancy. This was in CA. Maybe it's different in your state?

It was my original practice that helped me find the new one. Can you ask your original OB or the new OB you wanted to see... if they aren't willing to see you, can they at least provide you with a referral to a practice that will take you in? Did you ever have any other women's health practitioner (like a gyn or NP) whose help you could enlist to try to find a practice? It sounds like you could use an advocate.
That is horrendous!

Maybe try going to er with concerns and see what happens.
#671 of 730 Old 07-04-2014, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Carita -- I'm sorry to thread crash. I'm in NC, too, having my baby at UNC. Can you maybe call the Women's Birth and Wellness Center (in Chapel Hill) and see if there is a practice that they can refer you to that may be more compassionate? They've been helpful to me in the past, and may be aware of providers throughout the state.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. I think you're trying to make a very prudent plan, and it stinks that the healthcare system isn't doing its job for you. If it's a hospital system you're dealing with, I would suggest calling the patient advocate (should be able to find the number on the website) and see if they can help.

If all else fails, can you go to the ER at 39 weeks and pretend to be in labor? You would be able to explain your concerns to the doc who evaluates you regarding AMA, presentation, and all that. They may agree and induce you at that point.

It's such a wrong thing that they are doing to you. Wishing you luck, as we're virtual due date buddies, I think. Feel free to PM if you want. I'm a nurse, so I've dealt with these systems a bit (but not in OB).

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
#672 of 730 Old 07-04-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitMama View Post
Hi Nexxus,

On Vitex... I resisted taking it for years because I feared it would mess up my "good enough" cycles... I was already getting a strong LH surge and O every month and my LP was technically long enough. But then I decided to try it, in a "what the heck" kind of way. I'm glad I did. I had been ovulating a little early (around cd12) and my LP was a little anemic (low temps, only lasting around 12 days). Vitex helped with both of those things, and pretty quickly I had a textbook 28-day cycle. Also, around 6 months after I started it, I got pregnant. It was a missed miscarriage, but even during that m/c, I had fantastic hormone levels (HCG and progesterone). So at least I had the hormonal balance thing going on.

I stopped taking it for a while recently because I wanted to try letrozole again, and vitex opposes it (letrozole lowers estrogen while vitex generally raises it). But, I'm back on it now and looking forward to rebalancing my hormones (I think letrozole messed up my cycles again).

I take either 3 droppersful of the tincture, or 3 caplets of the powdered stuff (for around 1,200 mg per day). But, I take it throughout my cycle. Did your naturopath tell you why s/he would only want you to take it in the follicular phase? I've always heard it can be helpful to take it during LP and pregnancy as well, since it supports progesterone production. I hope I'm not doing it wrong!

I'm sorry, I can't help you with the LH question, as I've continued to have strong LH surges every month. But.. vitex might help with that! I've heard that it can help your body increase its own natural levels of LH.

Oh, one other thing it can do is give you a heavier flow. Since mine was starting to be on the lighter side, I didn't mind. But if you already have a heavy flow, that's just something to consider.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Wow thank you Litmama, that was some helpful info! I did speak to the doc today and he said to take it throughout the cycle (3-4 droppers twice a day), he was just being cautious in case I got pregnant. He says not to take it when pregnant as it cause blood vessel issues. So he wants me to stop when I get pregnant. I'm really excited now to try vitex knowing it can do all of those things including raise luteinizing hormone since mine seems low, maybe because I was still nursing. Heavier flow is fine because it must mean a thick lining mine right now is medium flow.

Sorry Femara did not work out for you. Doesn't it work by blocking your estrogen receptors days 5-9, raising FSH, so your body thinks it is on it's last chance reproductively and it sends out strong signals to release an egg(s), but it also causes an estrogen burst after day 9 as your body rushes into fix the low estrogen with a strong surge? The reason I ask is because royal jelly is said to be natures clomid and do the same thing. So you may want to try royal jelly as an option. I got pregnant in January this year using royal jelly days 3-8. It also pushed my ov day up to day 12 and it is never that early.

This is interesting. It looks like there should be a different approach based on what our issue is.
http://haveababy.com/fertility-infor...oor-responders

If you have good ovarian reserve, then the stimulation must be gentle or else it damages egg quality. If you have diminished ovarian reserve/poor egg quality, then the stimulation must be primed with estrogen to prevent excessive androgens from harming the egg via the stroma. So from what we are told all of us over 40 have poor egg quality. Therefore we should be strongly stimulating the egg but also making sure there is enough estrogen to protect the egg's development. So I would think we would respond best to something that surges estrogen in the follicular phase. Hmmmmmm...it makes me wonder why clomid/femara works for some and not others.

vegan with a son, 4. also mom to rescue furry babies esp. my little girl Babe Doll.

Last edited by nexxus; 07-04-2014 at 08:47 PM.
#673 of 730 Old 07-04-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I was thinking you could just go the the ER and get a C-Section based on the baby's position they would do it before labor for safety reasons or you could find a birth center who will attempt to turn the baby during labor and transfer you to the hospital at the first sign of danger. My 3 year old was born in a birth center and they were ready to transfer any one quickly should something not go right. Now my brother was breech, but he turned at the last minute as my mom went into labor, however she did get a hemmorage during his delivery that almost killed her (hospital birth back then). So sorry you are facing this. Babies do turn when ready and you could be pleasantly surprised in the next week. If you go that route, the birth center may help you try to turn the baby before and during labor, also I would for sure go to a good chiropractor as they are trained on how to turn breech babies. Worst case scenario a C-section but at least you know the baby will be safe.

Last edited by nexxus; 07-04-2014 at 08:43 PM.
#674 of 730 Old 07-04-2014, 09:08 PM

I am and have been seeing a chiropractor (who has offered to attend my birth to do adjustments if necessary) since just after I spoke with the first midwife. Unfortunately while the midwife at the birth center can do the newborn check, and I'm sure would do another position check for me, she can not take me on as a client due to my parity. The law is no moms with 5 births already.
I am now just trying to get back to my fearless state of confidence about UC. I have an appt with the other MW at 35w 6d to recheck position, and continue to see the chiropractor. The MW has a recommendation for a different chiro if lo hasn't moved.
Today I checked for hb and found it to be left of center just below belly button. The other night the movement was so rough I felt as though she was going to pop out my side, and I'm wondering of perhaps she moved already. A few minutes ago I felt her sink downwards further.
So I'm trying to get rid of the fear. I've had 4 UCs, so it's not new to me. However, I am beyond disappointed in the medical profession in my area leaving me with such crappy choices. I'm putting my faith back into everything happens for a reason.
Hugs mamas!

#675 of 730 Old 07-05-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I am and have been seeing a chiropractor (who has offered to attend my birth to do adjustments if necessary) since just after I spoke with the first midwife. Unfortunately while the midwife at the birth center can do the newborn check, and I'm sure would do another position check for me, she can not take me on as a client due to my parity. The law is no moms with 5 births already.
I am now just trying to get back to my fearless state of confidence about UC. I have an appt with the other MW at 35w 6d to recheck position, and continue to see the chiropractor. The MW has a recommendation for a different chiro if lo hasn't moved.
Today I checked for hb and found it to be left of center just below belly button. The other night the movement was so rough I felt as though she was going to pop out my side, and I'm wondering of perhaps she moved already. A few minutes ago I felt her sink downwards further.
So I'm trying to get rid of the fear. I've had 4 UCs, so it's not new to me. However, I am beyond disappointed in the medical profession in my area leaving me with such crappy choices. I'm putting my faith back into everything happens for a reason.
Hugs mamas!
this thread may be helpful for you:
Not turning breech baby b/c it will turn in labor?

I remember that was a big fear of mine, that he would be breech (and then I actually worried about how hard it must be for him to be upside down for all those months!) I guess we could all face this the more babies we have. There must be a way around being locked out of the medical care you need. If not, a lawsuit could come into the picture.

#676 of 730 Old 07-05-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Hugs mamas!
Just a quick drive-by for Carita!

I think PrimalJoy's idea of speaking to a patient's advocate is a very good one!

Others have also brought up the idea of going to ER for a section before you go into labor, which seems doable.

Here's another idea for turning the baby - moxibustion. My own acupuncturist does this all the time in clinic with her pregnant patients and told me it works 70% of the time. But you can also purchase the supplies in an acu clinic or online (Amazon) and try it yourself at home. This article shows you how (you have to scroll down):

https://www.birthinternational.com/articles/midwifery/37-if-your-baby-is-breech

Hugs!
#677 of 730 Old 07-06-2014, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Hugs mamas!
Caritasrainbow, I just can't seem to wrap my mind around a whole community of doctors refusing you care. It would seem to me that they have an ethical obligation to NOT band together and refuse you care.

Not that you have the time or inclination to deal with this now, but it would seem to me that this is an issue for the state medical board and perhaps even the attorney general's office. Medical care is a consumer product these days, after all.

Praying that things go well for you and your babe.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#678 of 730 Old 07-06-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post
Caritasrainbow, I just can't seem to wrap my mind around a whole community of doctors refusing you care. It would seem to me that they have an ethical obligation to NOT band together and refuse you care.

Not that you have the time or inclination to deal with this now, but it would seem to me that this is an issue for the state medical board and perhaps even the attorney general's office. Medical care is a consumer product these days, after all.

Praying that things go well for you and your babe.
No, I can't wrap my head around it either. It seems unethical and just plain wrong. It's like one office is just putting me off as I am not their problem, then the next does the same, each assuming someone else will help me, when in fact no one will.
My BFF is a dr and is also responsible for making recommendations for med students who wish to acquire their md status. He lives halfway across the country, so has no one here to call for me to see. He offered to call the drs who have refused me and make them see me, but I feel my treatment would be less than ideal. However, after the baby is here (to insure no further black marks on my record) he has made me promise to give him the names of the drs who have put me in this position so that he can hold them accountable. Those are my words, his are far less kind. So yes, I'm not up for the battle now, but he will do it with or without my approval. (Although he needs the names from me)
I've been feeling really icky the last two days. Wondering of it's just the depression cloud I'm now under or something more physical. I'm thinking of going to urgent care tomorrow if I'm still feeling like this.
It's like I'm in a tunnel, looking through. And I get so tired I can't stand. Suddenly. Like when I realized I was anemic but before I started upping the iron supplements. Wondering if I adapted and now need more iron. Or if it's something else.
#679 of 730 Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
No, I can't wrap my head around it either. It seems unethical and just plain wrong. It's like one office is just putting me off as I am not their problem, then the next does the same, each assuming someone else will help me, when in fact no one will.
My BFF is a dr and is also responsible for making recommendations for med students who wish to acquire their md status. He lives halfway across the country, so has no one here to call for me to see. He offered to call the drs who have refused me and make them see me, but I feel my treatment would be less than ideal. However, after the baby is here (to insure no further black marks on my record) he has made me promise to give him the names of the drs who have put me in this position so that he can hold them accountable. Those are my words, his are far less kind. So yes, I'm not up for the battle now, but he will do it with or without my approval. (Although he needs the names from me)
I've been feeling really icky the last two days. Wondering of it's just the depression cloud I'm now under or something more physical. I'm thinking of going to urgent care tomorrow if I'm still feeling like this.
It's like I'm in a tunnel, looking through. And I get so tired I can't stand. Suddenly. Like when I realized I was anemic but before I started upping the iron supplements. Wondering if I adapted and now need more iron. Or if it's something else.
Hi Caritas,
Just wanted to mention the thyroid when it comes to depression and pregnancy. (also the tiredness is a symptom) I don't know if you've ever had postpartum depression but it can start during the pregnancy then hit you hard after delivery. So you might want to have them check your thyroid in detail (4 -5 types of thyroid hormone must be tested) because it can be easily fixed with progesterone and maybe thyroid meds. Your thyroid might not be up to the task since pregnancy is a huge demand on the thyroid. I had minor episodes of it in the last trimester. Hang in there...you'll make it through this.

#680 of 730 Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 PM

I had to chuckle slightly here. There is no they, hence the depression. At least I can say, in all certainty, that this depression is not hormonal or otherwise chemically induced, but rather purely circumstantial. The stress of the dr situation plus my husband being a complete jerk has added up. It's the hormones that cause me to go back and forth though. Lol! It's funny, while I am of course most anxious to hold my baby, I believe I'm just more anxious to be on the other side of this wall of fear, with both of us safe. ;^)
In all I do believe that for me, being pregnant over 40 (I will be 43 in less than a month) has been more taxing on me physically and emotionally than at any other time, including at 39.
#681 of 730 Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 AM

Okay glad to hear you don't have a real depression issue. By they, I meant the ER who seems to be your only doctor right now which is a sad state of affairs for sure. That's a good strategy to keep picturing getting to the other side of this, baby in your arms, ... and your sense of humor about it all As you know my first over 40 pregnancy caused me to freak out hormonally/thyroid, so yes i think things can be different over 40. I'm on thyroid/hormone stuff now so next time hopefully no freak out. And for some any age pregnancy poses no problem... my friend is glowing and happy at 35 weeks at age 48!

#682 of 730 Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I had to chuckle slightly here. There is no they, hence the depression. At least I can say, in all certainty, that this depression is not hormonal or otherwise chemically induced, but rather purely circumstantial. The stress of the dr situation plus my husband being a complete jerk has added up. It's the hormones that cause me to go back and forth though. Lol! It's funny, while I am of course most anxious to hold my baby, I believe I'm just more anxious to be on the other side of this wall of fear, with both of us safe. ;^)
In all I do believe that for me, being pregnant over 40 (I will be 43 in less than a month) has been more taxing on me physically and emotionally than at any other time, including at 39.
I have to agree with this last statement. I am 44 now and recently moved back to a 3rd floor walk up. And my last was born about a week and a half before I turned 39. I.am.so.tired. And my boyfriend is being a jackass about it. He is ever the jokester and just doesn't know when to shut up. My low back aches (I have a history of low back pain, so, I do not necessarily see it as a harbinger of miscarriage at this point), my joints ache while lying in bed at night, and my two young kids require a lot of energy. As do my 140lb dog and my full time job.

And no, this pregnancy was not my idea, although I always longed for another child. It was all Mr. Sensitive. I had pretty much given up on the idea until he started talking about it. I am happy for it and feel blessed to have it. But teaching a once confirmed bachelor that when you actually want someone around for the longhaul you can't say all the thoughtless crap you are used to saying is exhausting.

Clearly, I needed to vent. And he is not all bad or even mostly bad or I wouldn't be with him. He voluntarily takes care of my kids when their own father won't and is genuinely affectionate and loving. He just has no appreciation for how difficult pregnancy can be.

#683 of 730 Old 07-08-2014, 06:27 PM

Today I met with a CNM practice that works with a hospital that has alternative birthing rooms. I really liked them. While I had home births with my first two and strongly prefer to have no interventions with this one, I do have some concerns about whether I could have any age related issues although my weight is good, I exercise and got a clean bill of health from my primary caregiver before TTC'ing.

And the best news is that I will have a viability u/s on Thursday. I am seeing my mom who lives out of state this weekend, so, it will be nice to have more definitive information before I tell her (although I already told my dad and older brother).

Also, my morning sickness symptom is getting stronger and my acupuncturist thought my pulses felt very strong today. Starting to feel a little more connected to this bean.

#684 of 730 Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Today I met with a CNM practice that works with a hospital that has alternative birthing rooms. I really liked them. While I had home births with my first two and strongly prefer to have no interventions with this one, I do have some concerns about whether I could have any age related issues although my weight is good, I exercise and got a clean bill of health from my primary caregiver before TTC'ing.

And the best news is that I will have a viability u/s on Thursday. I am seeing my mom who lives out of state this weekend, so, it will be nice to have more definitive information before I tell her (although I already told my dad and older brother).

Also, my morning sickness symptom is getting stronger and my acupuncturist thought my pulses felt very strong today. Starting to feel a little more connected to this bean.
wow honeybunmom are you 44 and pregnant? congrats!

#685 of 730 Old 07-09-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
wow honeybunmom are you 44 and pregnant? congrats!
Yes, thank you! I went off the pill in February, turned 44 in April and got my BFP in June.

I have a cousin who had her one and only baby 2.5 years ago 2 months before she turned 49. A first cousin. However, I honestly do not know whether he was naturally conceived. They live on the west coast and I have seen no pics since the newborn ones so, I can't even surmise if he looks like her!
tenzinsmama likes this.

#686 of 730 Old 07-09-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, thank you! I went off the pill in February, turned 44 in April and got my BFP in June.

I have a cousin who had her one and only baby 2.5 years ago 2 months before she turned 49. A first cousin. However, I honestly do not know whether he was naturally conceived. They live on the west coast and I have seen no pics since the newborn ones so, I can't even surmise if he looks like her!
well I hope I'm next...I just turned 44...been trying for 6 months, got preg twice, early miscarriage and a miscarriage at 7 weeks, i finally stopped nursing....you give me hope good luck in your pregnancy!

oh do you do acupuncture once a week? taking anything else? i'm doing progesterone cream, acupuncture, liquid vitex, ubiquinol, B Vitamins and a few other things...

#687 of 730 Old 07-09-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
well I hope I'm next...I just turned 44...been trying for 6 months, got preg twice, early miscarriage and a miscarriage at 7 weeks, i finally stopped nursing....you give me hope good luck in your pregnancy!

oh do you do acupuncture once a week? taking anything else? i'm doing progesterone cream, acupuncture, liquid vitex, ubiquinol, B Vitamins and a few other things...
ahhh, my 45th birthday is fast approaching...
#688 of 730 Old 07-09-2014, 02:03 PM

Congrats honeybunmom!

Carita, what has happened for you is not right. I am sorry.

chilee - I think my cycle is getting longer again.............maybe there is hope still? Last month was 27 days (I thought maybe a chemical but I never actually took a test)
This month 27 days and counting. My temps aren't high enough to be "baking a baby" (as I call it) so I won't test unless I go really late.

Last edited by orangemomma; 07-09-2014 at 03:35 PM.
#689 of 730 Old 07-09-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilee View Post
ahhh, my 45th birthday is fast approaching...
look at these charts, chilee, will cheer you up...many of them were age 45 when got pregnant:

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/cg/index.php?c=search

just search "pregnancy"

"over age 43"

#690 of 730 Old 07-09-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Prior to getting pregnant I was just taking prenatal vitamins and working out. Prior to my second child I saw my acupuncturist to prepare my womb for conception. But not for this one. I started going to her again two weeks after I found out I was pregnant.

I am pretty type A, so, I think it helped that I gave up pretty quickly. I went through many tests in March, April and May. Over analyzed every uterine twinge and soreness in my boobs. Then I gave up. Figured it just wasn't meant to be. Which I think relaxed me. I didn't even have any discernible EWCM the cycle I conceived. I am a big believer in the stress factor as inhibitor.
tenzinsmama and nexxus like this.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page