Mothering Forum banner

Fabulous Forty Somethings TTC!

101K views 1K replies 102 participants last post by  EllaPhant 
#1 ·
Here's the new thread ladies.Hopefully there will be more action and the thread won't last a whole year.

I know we'll see some bfp's on the thread.
joy.gif
I can add you to the list, or feel free to cut and paste.

The list:

Trying to conceive:

gumblossom, 47 years old, mama to 5, ttc about 4 years (3 miscarriages)

KarinaNYC, 42 yrs old, optimistically (and naturally) trying to conceive #1

Meander 40 years old ttc #2

Shell77- 40 years old trying to conceive #3 , But DH's #1 For 18months.... 1 failed IVF and 5 failed IUI's

orangemomma, 44 and trying to conceive #3.

MamaTara 41 with three children

MsDolphin, 44 - DS born at 41, TTC #2 for 2.5 years. Have tried 3 rounds of Clomid, then injectables with 2 IUI attempts.

lovbeingamommy 48 (ttc #2 - 3 m/c 2008, 2010)

jrabbit Almost 47, and WANTING-TC

41Mommymaybe Im 41 , I have a 2 yr old that took 16 yrs to conceive after 6 miscarriages

MamadeRumi:I'm 43. I'll be 44 in about a month! I had my DS when I was 40

mamasee46 ttc#2

Zbugmama 41 ttc#2

morningtide 39

Halifax40:46 DH-45 DS born June 2012 TTC#2

Soul-O: 40, TTC #7

ayme371:40

chilee: Age 44, My last 2 children were born while tc on this thread :) at age 40 and 42

Pregnant:

carmen358:I am 42 and 17 weeks pregnant with #2 after 5 miscarriages

cldeshano:DS 2,I'm 41 and had a miscarriage in January

caritasrainbow 42 pregnant with #6

chichimama: 44 in September

innacircle:40, pregnant with #1

Babies born:

Halifax40: 46 years old, Xander born June 2012

Soairse2007

TenzinsMama, 43 yrs old, Baby #3 born Nov 2013

List of supplements and nutritional information for ttc:

DHEA: 25mg 3x a day, for improved egg quality

Co q10 : ubiquinol is the best type: more easily absorbed: up to 800mg a day (protects the cells you have)

folic acid (5000mg a day)

fermented cod liver oil (best sorce of Omega3 for anti-infammation)

baby aspirin in the tww (keeps blood flowing, stops tiny clots that may cause miscarriage)

magnesium

red clover isoflavones (nature's clomid, take similar doses on same days as clomid)

FertilAid for men

vitex and maca (for regulating the cycle)

Litmama: "My acupuncturist said that 1 glass of red wine a week is actually beneficial to my circulation and bloodflow to the uterus and ovaries"

vitamin D (many people are low without realizing and Vit D is essential for conception)

L-Carnatine

Evening Primrose Oil and milkthistle ( from AF to Ovulation) for better cervical mucus.

Resveratol: anti-aging properties

Royal Jelly

Prenatal

B complex : to lengthen luteal phase

Chinese Herbs to boost Yin (essential for fertility),

Folate (recently learned that if you can find folate it's better than folic acid - better absorbed).

Make a tea with some or all of these: decaf green tea, red clover, oatstraw, alfafa, nettle, mint, raspberry, dandelion root, lemon, honey.
USANA Pro-Flavanol (antioxidants)
Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer with BioPQQ (for egg quality: is supposed to not only help with biogenesis of new mitochondria (which could in theory help you produce brand-spanking-new eggs) but also protection of cells through various actions (such as anti-glycation... glycation is when your cellular membranes harden... not good for egg health, they need to be soft and penetrable)

info on pqq: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/feb2011_Generate-Fresh-Mitochondria-with-PQQ_01.htm
Rhodiola (for stress and fertility)
Chlorophyll capsules (2 per day)
Renew Life Ultimate Flora Probiotics with B-Infantis (1 per day)
NAC (can't recall dosage)
Maxiflavone (2 per day for immune issues)

Shatavari (for immune issues)

Fo Ti (for anti-aging and fertility)

Pepcid and claritin (after ovulation, for immune issues)

bee pollen, propolis

camu camu

Reading List:

Alan Beer's book, Is Your Body Baby Friendly

TCM book Making Babies

books by Julia Indochinova

Randine Lewis's book, The infertility Cure

See less See more
#990 ·
I got rid if a huge trash bag of various sized pads over the summer. Had saved them for weeks to find a shelter something to give them to, but eventually got sick of carrying them about and tossed the whole mess in the trash. I should go to the store and mpbuy pads, but I can't force myself to get up out of bed and get dressed. Still in pajamas at nearly noon. I hope the tampon isn't hurting me. I'll get up soon.
I cancelled the order I placed. I'm returning the progesterone cream, it was too late to cancel. It freaks me out. Maybe I'll try vitex?
I'm not sure if I'll ttc or not. Dh said he wanted another, but now says he's relieved. Shitty timing to say today. Men are so insensitive.
I'm beyond hormonal, emotional and crabby.
I look terrible, hair a mess and just don't care. Haven't even brushed my teeth today. Lol.
I do think I may try the vitex, will get back on the fish oils. Even if not actively ttc, we do not use bc. I'd rather an oops be healthy and not do this to my mind and body, so figure I should have my body prepared. A subcontious way of ttc? Idk.
Crappy day, I'm sore, in pain, wish I had pads, somehow feeling everything flow out is more comforting than this plug.
Sorry for my lame post.

Reactions: Xerxella
#991 ·
@MeanVeggie - I'm doing the "get in shape" thing, too. We have one genetically normal frozen embryo left and we'll put it back in next summer. My goal is to keep trying in the meantime while getting in the best shape possible for the FET. I figure getting in shape has no downside.

@caritasrainbow - Sorry for your blah day. We all need the down days every once in a while.

We're all about the same place in our cycle. CD 9, 4 & 1. Maybe we can all end this thread at once with thbs. :smile:

Reactions: MeanVeggie
#993 ·
Caritasrainbow- Your post isn't lame. Of course you're still in bed and feel like sh@t ...who wouldn't be considering the circumstances?!?!

If we don't take care of us....who will? We suffer the pain and emotions from mc ...sometimes alone ...at home or in the hospital, sometimes in silence. You deserve a bad hair day!!

Please don't worry about your husband's comment or anyone else right now. It's ALL about you!! We always worry and stress about other's (DH in particular), but we rarely give ourselves the time and love we deserve/need. Heal up momma!

Sending you big hugs!!❤💛💙💜💚❤

Xerella- I guess we're getting in the best shape together. Fx that frozen embryo is your precious DS or DD (maybe a matching pair of twins).

#994 ·
After second tampon I remembered I sew cloth diapers, duh. Got some doublers and hooked myself up. Then read tampons are totally dangerous during a mc, even an early one. I know I knew that somewhere deep in my brain. Fx I haven't just screwed myself up permanently.
Flow is really heavy and dark now, lower back and abdomen so sore I don't want to get up at all.
:crying:

#995 ·
After second tampon I remembered I sew cloth diapers, duh. Got some doublers and hooked myself up. Then read tampons are totally dangerous during a mc, even an early one. I know I knew that somewhere deep in my brain. Fx I haven't just screwed myself up permanently.

Flow is really heavy and dark now, lower back and abdomen so sore I don't want to get up at all.

:crying:
I would seriously not worry about it. It's really no big deal. (((Hugs)))). The problem they worry about is infection from leaving a tampon in there for days. You're really fine.

I hope you're feeling better as the day progresses.

#996 ·
Hello, I would like to join you. I'm 40 and we are ttc'ing. My last bio-baby was when I was 34 (born when I was 35), and I'm nervous about how challenging this may be to get pregnant. I have never lost a pregnancy that I was aware of, so I'm worried for that. I'm really glad to see other 40+ moms here... it's SO hard to find anyone online...

#999 ·
It looks like this month I didn't even ovulate. : sigh : With the supplements I take that's not the best news... (shouldn't really be happening). I did a saliva hormone panel about 2m ago, and it shows things pretty good... do any of you deal with anovulatory cycles?

My husband said "there's always next month" and he's right but I do fertility math in my head... this is a mind game...

So month 1 for us is negative.

#1,000 ·
I'm sorry you're not ovulating. I've never experience that; wish I could be more help. I thought I read earlier in this thread that women were taking Vitex to help them ovulate? I'm not completely positive, but pretty sure. Good luck next month.

AFM - I'm 6 or 8DPO. FF wasn't completely sure since I had EWCM after my temp rise. I like to think I'm 8DPO.

#1,001 ·
Thanks MeanVeggie, I'm taking vitex (chaste tree berry), but started after when I should have ovulated (per my naturopath instructions) but I'll be calling today and I'll ask about doing it whole cycle.

Good luck for you this month! Do you test or just keep temping to know?

Reactions: applejuice
#1,003 ·
Hi guys! @MeanVeggie - How did testing go?

I'm 8 dpo this morning. It looked pretty negative, but I'm using the cheapies unless it turns positive and then I'll try the FRERs to track changes.

How's everyone else doing?

Reactions: applejuice
#1,004 ·
Hi @xercella Fx it was just too early to test. 😊 Do you temp as well? Are they above coverline?

I tested on Thursday and Saturday: two BFNs. I wasn't too down about it, but kinda thought this may be the month. I've had chocolate CM spotting for the fourth day in a row and very low temps the last 2 days. Spotting started either 9DPO (says FF) or 11 DPO (says me). AF is due tomorrow or Thursday. I've never spotted for 4 days before so this is new.

I hope you'll get you BFP in the next few days. Fx!!!

#1,005 ·
Sorry to hear! The up/down realistic understanding/hope thing is a real brain trip...
It's hard not to feel them both. Hugs.

Naturopath said stop chaste tree berry since it takes a few months to work and I've been on it 1.5m, she thinks it's not a concern. I see my acupuncturist this month to just help the no-ovulation and overall happy body. Acupuncture and I are friends and it always helps whatever it is I'm trying to treat, so that's good - hopefully this is a good month.

I want to get a BBT thermometer but the beeping... gah... I saw a lovely Kindara one but whew, pricey. I wish I knew where to buy a used one.

#1,006 ·
I just use one I bought off eBay for $6. Reli-on (something like that) is the brand. Works ok. I've used regular thermometers and they work just fine too.

AFM - AF stared today so I'm going to up my herbs as I think my progesterone is still too low and it's the reason I spotted 4 days before my cycle this month. Hopefully in the next couple of months ill get it under control.

#1,008 ·
I think my progesterone is still too low and it's the reason I spotted 4 days before my cycle this month. Hopefully in the next couple of months ill get it under control.
Have you ever used Standard Processing Symplex F? Or the phyto-caps of Chase Tree Berry? If you prefer herbs over prescriptions, I recommend both.

I have an appointment in Friday. I'd really like the RE to be more aggressive. Time is not on my side. @BirthFree - When I got a BBT, I just got a cheap one at the drug store. It still works fine. I found one that you can turn the beep off, so that's nice. How's everything else going? Where are you in your cycle?
Good luck! I definitely would feel a little "go big or go home" if I had an RE... I hope they have some good words/plan for you.

You can turn the beep off??? Omg which one is it that you have??

I'm CD6 today. Acupuncture today and next Tues. ❤

#1,007 · (Edited)
This morning looked pretty negative too, but I hate the new FRERs. They all seem to have an evap line. Bah. I feel kinda pregnant-y. Either way, I'll know tomorrow. I don't really chart, but I use a trigger and progesterone, so it's not really necessary. I have an appointment in Friday. I'd really like the RE to be more aggressive. Time is not on my side.
@MeanVeggie - spotting for 4 days isn't good. I'd really recommend you see a doc and get on some serious progesterone. You need to give someone a chance to stick if there's anyone there.

Hi @BirthFree - When I got a BBT, I just got a cheap one at the drug store. It still works fine. I found one that you can turn the beep off, so that's nice. How's everything else going? Where are you in your cycle?

#1,012 · (Edited)
Sorry- I fell off the face of the earth. I remained sick for nearly a month, then my mom came to visit for ten days, and then one of the kids got super sick.
So I was reading to catch up and the one line at really struck me was something like I've never had a mc that I know if, so I'm not worried about that. Yes, well, most who haven't aren't until they do for sure. I always got pregnant at the drop of a hat. I had five kids without thinking about it or trying. The idea of a mc never entered my mind. And then I got pregnant at 41 and towards the end of the first trimester discovered my first mmc. I was astounded. It was awful, but I was convinced it was a fluke. Got pregnant again right away and towards the end of the first trimester, another very long drawn out mmc. Following month I had a chemical pregnancy and had to admit that my age seemed to have some sort of strange new impact on my reproductive life. Two weeks later I was pregnant again with my now two year old. That pregnancy was such an emotional roller coaster because until I was holding my baby in my arms, I was never certain I would.
I thought that having that a healthy pregnancy with a happy ending would reset the dial so to speak. I didn't really feel like I needed another child, but when I found myself pregnant again last month, it didn't occur to me it might not stick. After all, I'd just had a healthy pregnancy, clearly my body was back to normal. But nope, as you know things didn't end well.
So yes, one doesn't really fear mc until one does. And even the most fertile myrtle may (and likely will) find herself in such a position if ttc much into her forties or later. Sad, but damn if those stupid statistics don't seem to actually have some truth to them as so many don't.
I had my fifth at 39, six months before I turned 40. Easy peasy. For me the mc world didn't begin until about halfway through being 41.
So here I am. I was unexpectedly pregnant last month, and am now in the tww. Not actively ttc, but not trying not to. I have not had trouble conceiving yet, just holding onto it. And this is such a strange new world for me. I've been pregnant more times than anyone I personally know. I've got six kids, last five were unassisted, and I'm 45.
Not charting nor temping, I think I'm 7 dpo, but my last bleed was that mc, not af, so not sure how that affects things. 3 years ago I had a chemical around the same date as this last time and was pregnant with my youngest exactly two weeks later. Wondering if history will repeat itself... My ewcm is not as copious as it once was. I did start taking fish oil again, making sure it's the right, easily used kind. I got maca, but stupidly got the powder and haven't found a way to ingest it yet. I decided to stick with those two to hopefully help regulate and to create more ewcm without adding progesterone (I'm scared of opening a can of worms I can't close- probably unfounded fear) but need to actually open the maca and find a way to ingest, and I guess I haven't been taking the fish oil long enough yet to notice a difference.
I'm undecided as to whether to test or just wait until next Wednesday and see if af appears. Kind of a poas addict though...
I have read, all over babycenter, that the new frers have been giving false positives. The bent ones, not the digital ones. I think Friday is the soonest I could possibly test.
I feel like a crazy person.
You all sound quite mentally sound and matter of fact, I applaud you. I too am working on getting into better shape. I gained 13 pounds last month between the pregnancy, the antibiotics and the steroids. (For sinusitis and bronchitis/possibly pneumonia) Oh- when I went back after the antibiotics didn't work the dr (urgent care) asked how I knew I'd been pregnant (a jillion hpts, a blood test and a beta draw) and how I knew I'd miscarried (seriously?). She said due to my age I should really consider the possibility of it just being menopause. Kinda wanted to punch her. I declined her insistent offer of a blood draw.
Sorry for the novel, if you made it this far, well, then you clearly are as obsessed as I am about following people in the same position. Lol
Peace!

#1,014 ·
Ty. Physically yes, better. Mentally not so much. Not sure what's going on. Perimenopause? Premenstrual? Just losing it? I'm so lazy, accomplishing nothing. And bloated.
I popped in to apologize. I hope I did not offend anyone yesterday with my tirade. I am so sorry. This forum has remained such a peaceful, warm, safe and kind place for me for several years now. I hope it feels the same for everyone else.
Fwiw- I once had to take Percocet for nearly a year due to a bad surgery. The insanityI felt then is similar to how I feel now. Totally up and down, overly emotional, and incapable of doing anything. Yes, pregnancy has done this to me in the past. I doubt that's the issue here. Is this also what the start of menopause feels like?
I ordered my first order of Wondfos last night, to be delivered today. 9 dpo and holding, waiting for package, lol. I also ordered NAC and folic acid.
How's everyone else doing? Any tips for energy? Emotional roller coaster? Thank you ladies.

#1,015 ·
@caritasrainbow I suggest you take herbs for adrenal fatigue. Here are some of the following symptoms: constant tiredness, need for extra sleep, inability to cope with stress, reduced libido, low back pain in the area of the kidneys, sighing, yawning, recurrent infections, irritability, moodiness, and cravings for sweet foods.

I'm taking herbs for adrenal fatigue because I experienced two deaths within a year of each other (my son at 28 weeks gestation and my father). These two experiences made me have serious mood swings, depression, exhaustion and affected my life permanently. I recommend you try herbs for adrenal fatigue because of our proximity in age & your losses :(

Adrenal fatigue affected a cluster of my body systems (moods, sleeping, lack of interest or desire). Herbs helped me get a hold of my emotions and helped me deal with stress. Herbs like Ashwagandha, Eleuthero and Astragalus are plants that help the body maintain homeostasis and support the adrenals.

Ashwagandha root comes from India's Ayurvedic medicine tradition. It is particularly useful for stress-induced sleeping problems. East Indian trials showed that Ashwagandha improves both DHEA-S and testosterone levels.

Eleuthero (Eleutherococcus senticosus) is an adaptogen herb used to support cognition, alertness, immune function, and physical stress.

I combine Astragalus with Eleuthero and Ashwagandha it helps me from feeling so 'run down.'

Do take time to heal. No apologies necessary (you've been through more than most). ❤❤❤

#1,016 ·
Thank you, I will check those out.
Completely off topic- in my settings I have this thread to email me instantly when someone posts. I have not received any emails in years. I unchecked instant from the thread and then added it again, to no avail. I checked to be sure it has the correct address, and it does. Any ideas? I would much prefer to get emails than to have to remember to check back all the time. My mind is already so overloaded, lol.

#1,018 ·
I use tapatalk, too. If you're having problems, you could hit up an administrator. They've very helpful.

AFM - This cycle looks like a bust. I had actually kinda convinced myself it worked. I'm surprised I still have the ability to convince myself of such things! So, I see my RE today. We'll see what she says. I'm hoping my period holds off until Sunday at least, so I can start Monday with a new cycle.

Where's everybody else at, cycle wise?

#1,020 ·
This cycle looks like a bust. I had actually kinda convinced myself it worked. I'm surprised I still have the ability to convince myself of such things! So, I see my RE today. We'll see what she says. I'm hoping my period holds off until Sunday at least, so I can start Monday with a new cycle.

Where's everybody else at, cycle wise?
Aw I'm sorry to hear that! :(

I'm cd11 today and have some blood tinged mucus (wth??), though we had sex yesterday early morning and it was a bit painful (sorry, TMI) because the position was too-deep. I'm thinking that's what's up? I'm really freaking hope so... because ugh...

Still taking my temp (omg beeping bbts!!! Ugh!!!)... but it's been forever, just re-learning that.

I haven't told more than my acupuncturist and two close friends that we are ttc'ing and it's hard to not (DH was not wanting to say ANYthing but I needed someone to talk to). This is such a mind game it's hard to act like it's life like normal.

Hoping all you ladies have good news... that's really all I want for 2017.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.