What's the best OPK? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I had a friend ask me, and I've been out of the TTC game long enough, that I have no idea.  Which OPKs are working best for you??

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi Adina!! I am not sure there are better or worse OPKs, whatever is affordable and works for your friend! I started out using FRER OPKs. They often come with a free HPT, which is handy. I like them and find them easy to interpret (ie. it is clear to me when the test line is as dark or darker than the control). That said, you only get 7 for $12 or $13. I also tried the Clear Blue Easy Brand OPKs. I did not like these and found them harder to interpret, it was not clear to me when I had a positive test. I admit, I am not a fan of the blue dye tests overall. I found after a few months without success TTC that I like to test twice a day as Ovulation approaches. As such, I've purchased Wondfo brand tests. You can find them on Amazon or Ebay - really cheap and ratings indicate they're pretty sensitive and reliable. You can get 100 OPKs and 20 HPTs for $25!! I bought 50 OPKs and 20 HPTs for $17. You do need to use a cup (cannot pee right on them) but they are easy to see results. Well that's my 2cents.gif Good luck and babydust to your friend!!

Mama to Little Bean and Baby Bean partner to My Love and loving caretaker to cat.gif dog2.gif and chicken3.gif 

I am a treehugger.gif Mama whocd.gif femalesling.GIFwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gif

Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I can tell you that the Answer brand is pretty bad. I tried them one month and the results were really all over the place. I thought it was just me until I started reading reviews.

Conversely, the Clear Blue tests with the Smiley faces get high marks. They are also among the most expensive. I have a box waiting for me next cycle.

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I liked the ones from early-pregnancy-tests.com, they were cheaper than the brand-name ones and had a nice wide strip with good sharp lines unlike the Wondfos I got off Amazon which were much narrower and a bit fuzzy looking. I read a Consumer Reports study on ovulation and HPT brands from 2009, and the only OPK that was able to detect down to 25 miu (surge between 20-100 miu, depending on the woman) was Clearbue Easy, and I think their digital was a little less sensitive but still well under 50. I'd say try the cheapos for a cycle, and if you don't get a clear positive, then try the Clearblues or First Response. Whatever you pick, stick with that brand for that cycle, otherwise is really hard to compare tests to see if you are building up to a surge or coming down off one.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil323 View Post

I'd say try the cheapos for a cycle, and if you don't get a clear positive, then try the Clearblues or First Response. Whatever you pick, stick with that brand for that cycle, otherwise is really hard to compare tests to see if you are building up to a surge or coming down off one.

Yup, good advice.

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:44 PM

I just started using OPK's this cycle and got the 50 pack of wondfos off Amazon, and I'm not super impressed by them. The price was fantastic, but I always get 2 lines, 1 lighter than the other, which is negative, and one day it seemed that both lines were the same intensity in color, which would indicate positive, but it wasn't glaringly obvious so I was left wondering if that was really it... 

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM

I am curious as well... I just started using Opks a few months ago. But either their always negative or Im just missing the surge. Its all so confusing!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
This is great information!! Thanks! During my several years of ttc I used the first response ones. Doesn't Clear Blue make some sort of fertility monitor too?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 AM

Clearblue does make a monitor but it's pretty pricey and the strips (not reusable) are also expensive. OPKs seem like a better start. As a side note, I'm using Wondfos and First Response OPKs this cycle. I got my first + on a wondfo Tues night, CD 11, clear + with test line darker than control. Was + yesterday morning and pm. This morning, CD 13, FR was + for the first time and wondfo was fading, test line almost as dark as control but not quite. By temping, I know I have not yet O'd but expect to today. So the wondfos gave me two more days of warning for active BDing! I think we'll hit -3, -2, -1 and O. Had we waited for the FR, would have only hit O day.

Mama to Little Bean and Baby Bean partner to My Love and loving caretaker to cat.gif dog2.gif and chicken3.gif 

I am a treehugger.gif Mama whocd.gif femalesling.GIFwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gif

Old 02-14-2013, 06:32 AM

I'm happy with the wondfos. When I think I have a positive, I confirm with a ClearBlue digital. The wondfo positive always shows up quickly and is clear to me.

Tags
Trying To Conceive
User Tag List