Strange cycle, Need some help!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay so I'll start with a little background, might help with answers, I am 27 and my man and I are TTC and have been for about 3yrs. Never been pregnant and have only had regular periods for about a year usually between 26-32 days each. I was checked last summer around May for my hormone levels etc and all was normal that month so as far as I know I ovulated when I should have. And according to my body temp, cm and all that I do ovulate when I should. I had a small polyp in my uterus which explained my serious cramps during my period but my doctor didn't think I needed to do anything about it and told me it shouldn't affect my fertility.

So this January I had a period that started the on the 13th and lasted the normal 4 days. I  had cramping for a week before that which is abnormal to me, normally I would only get a day or two before it started. Then on cycle day 11, the 23rd I had brown discharge that continued for three days, then I had a small amount of bright red blood for one day which was enough for a light days tampon, then two more days of brown then it stopped. Very slight cramping came along with the first few days.

Now what I don't know is if that started my cycle over again or not because now if going by the original date of the 13th I should have gotten my period two days ago which I haven't but on February 13th I again had a brown spotting very very light and it was just for one day and hasn't come back again along with a small amount of cramps on Feb 13th.

Now if I base my cycle off the weird spotting that started on cycle day 11 in Jan I would have ovulated on Feb 5th-7th where we DTD a few times in that time frame. So right off I think implantation spotting but how do I really know if I haven't been preg before? the whole process is confusing to me.

So does anyone have any of their own stories about similar things or if someone knows something about this strange type of cycle. My regular doctor is kind of useless when it comes to fertility stuff, I should go to a gyne but I haven't found the time yet. I just need a little advice and to know what this could be. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 AM

Don't have any answers for you, but bumping your thread, so perhaps someone with suggestions will see it. 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 02-19-2013, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you already taken a HPT just to rule out the possibility of being pg?

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

No I haven't taken a test yet, I have been waiting to see if it comes later on, because if my cycle reset at day 11 which I think it did, AF isn't due until the 24th. I am just going to have to wait, I am pretty sure that I just had a really short cycle in the beginning of January. So I am planning on waiting to see if I miss again and if by the end of Feb if it still hasn't come I will test.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM

If I'm reading everything correctly, and it's possible that I'm not since my children have been bouncing off the walls all day dizzy.gif , that January 13 cycle would have been super crazy short and I'd be a little concerned. If I had what I thought was my period, it stopped, then seven days later got what I thought might be another period? IDK, that would be a little odd to me. Especially when I'm pretty regular usually with no mid-cycle spotting or anything else to speak of.

You said you've had regular cycles for about a year? Were they irregular before that? Or were you on any type of HBC where you didn't get your period? Or were you dealing with a medical condition of some kind? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to think about what this could be...

What was your December cycle like? I wonder if it's possible you're in the situation where you got pg on that cycle then started what seemed like your normal period on January 13, then have had bouts of spotting like some women get during pregnancy. IDK; puzzling though!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

December was a normal cycle, from Nov to Dec was 28 days, then Dec to Jan was 34 days. It is possible I was pregnant during the Dec cycle but because I didn't feel like I missed for long enough I didn't test. I was only 5 or so days off. But the period on the 13th was a full blown heavy painful period so if I was preg in the Dec cycle I am not anymore. The spotting was on the 23rd - 27th and it was nothing like a regular period just spotting for 5 days it was brown spotting so I assume it was old blood and there isn't a possibility I could have gotten preg after the period on the 13th my bf wasn't with me all of January.

But I did have another bit of spotting on the 13th of February which is when my period was due based off the January 13th date. It is strange for me to spot in between at all, its only been the last two months that it has happened.

I have had regularish cycles since March of last year, they all ranged from 26days - 37days but they were all within regular range the Dr said. 3 years ago I went off BCP and haven't used any form of birth control since. But the reason I went on birth control was because I was having short cycles sometimes and very very painful cramps and the dr suggested I go on BC to correct it. After going off the pill I had really irregular periods where I would go a month or two without having one, I was told it was maybe PCOS but that was ruled out in June of last year and was told there is nothing medically wrong and that my body just had a hard time adjusting to being off the birth control. I don't know what it could be other than just a weird cycle change over, I have heard that it happens and if it wasn't then I am a week late. I guess I could test to make sure that isn't what it is, might do that just to rule that out instead of waiting.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 AM

Ahh, ok, that helps with the picture I'm getting. As an aside, you don't have a collection of charts and temps or anything do you? For a long time I just kept track of when my cycles started/ended and how my flow was. I know for me having the visuals of the charts and taking down more information all cycle long helps. Hmm, maybe the spotting is just cycle weirdness that just happens sometimes, maybe there's some irregularity creeping back in, or maybe you are indeed pg even though you had what seems like a regular, painful period? Ahh, the ambiguity! To me, it seems like maybe it's some irregular cycle funkiness but if I had to figure this out for my own situation, I would take a HPT anyway just to have more information while narrowing things down. Oddness in our cycles is certainly something else now isn't it?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I haven't charted in a few months I have been having bouts of insomnia so my charts would be unreliable, when I was charting tho I know I ovulated and all that and my temp was always good sign and I was able to get positive ovulation sticks. I will probably start again once I figure out if I am going to get a period this month or not then I can see if my body is doing what it should be and this cycle was just one of those unexplainable things.

I will get an HPT tomorrow when I can get to the drugstore, I am not looking to walk in the cold today -13 is not walking weather.

Thank you for trying to help, I will update if anything happens.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 PM

No problem! Sorry I couldn't help more. Yeah, let us know how things shape up. GL!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:38 PM

My friend has always had very regular cycles and recently started having something similar to what you've described--a few days after finishing her period, the bleeding would start up again. Her doctor was not concerned about it and said she sees that pretty often in women around her age (33). But, with that said, on Saturday she went to see a sobadora and was told that her uterus was completely in the wrong position. Western medicine does not really have a treatment for or concern about a tilted or prolapsed uterus, but some do believe that the position of the uterus can have profound effects on the cycle and also one's ability to conceive. The brown blood, I've been told, is a sign that the uterus is out of position and so the old blood is trapped, which can cause painful periods and also make it more difficult to conceive. You might try seeing someone who practices Mayan abdominal therapy if you are interested in learning more. You can also do self-massage, but it's nice to have someone show you. In my personal experience, the sobadas/Mayan massage have helped to regulate my cycles, lessened the cramping, and reduced the amount of brown blood. 

Regarding the polyp, I know someone who was TTC for five years. She tried every alternative therapy, but it wasn't until she saw a reproductive endocrinologist and had the polyp on her uterus removed that she was able to conceive. 

Best of luck!

NTNA March 2011 to June 2012

6 wk M/C June 2012

Actively TTC since October 2012

Old 02-21-2013, 07:24 AM

Not the OP but thanks for the information about sobadas/Mayan massage baileymarie. If after DS2 weans and I still haven't conceived/been able to sustain a pregnancy I'll look into that. I have a tilted uterus and have only had mid-cycle spotting issues once ever that I can think of about nine or ten months ago. I do have heavy, painful periods though, except for the 1-2 years after I've given birth to each of my boys and now after my m/c in November, I'm experiencing the same relief from the heavy, painful periods as well. Sorry to kind of OT your thread MinW! Back to you my dear! smile.gif

Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

I guess it is very possible that I have a tilted uterus since my mother does and could def be why I have ALWAYS had super painful periods but I have never been told if I do or not, I think that would be something that my GP would have told me but she has overlooked many things in my years with her. If I am not pg this cycle I will seek out help where you suggested for whatever this is causing the issues.

I have read about polyps being a concern for TTC women just from general research but I have also heard that the size is a major factor and mine was very small she said but did say that it could be attributed to the more painful periods in this last year. If it is still there I will have to go to someone else prob a gynecologist to see where I can go, the ultrasound tech did tell me I would prob need a D&C but the Dr didn't seem concerned that it would need that. She is more interested in feeding me pills and hoping things go away than fixing any of my problems.

Anyway, thank you baileymarie for your input I am going to take it in to serious consideration in where I need to go next after this cycle is solved.

Its all good mamacatsbaby that's what forums are for :)

Tags
Trying To Conceive
User Tag List