Relationship btw Period / Ovulation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I never thought about this much before (figuring we would just let things take their course), but I am starting to wonder about a second baby, as we'd like them to be fairly close in age.  My first is just turning one, and I am still breastfeeding (a lot), but have started cutting down on nighttime feedings.

I first got my period back in December; then in January (exactly a month apart), but so far, nothing in Feb/March.  I had been hoping I was pregnant, but had a negative test.  So I started looking into what could be going on, and learned that it's possible to have a period without ovulating.

I'm wondering: is this usual? How long does it usually go on?  And is there any way to know if you are ovulating other than taking a test?  Is there anything natural I can do to try to get back on a regular cycle (not necessarily just to conceive, either -- the situation of not knowing what is going on is freaking me out just a little!)

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 AM

Charting can help-I use fertility friend. Also, because you are still breastfeeding it's possible that ovulation could be suppressed.  You cannot have a period without ovulation, the exception to this rule is when you are on the pill and your hormone levels drop, causing breakthrough bleeding. 

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

#3 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 04:44 PM

Your period might still be irregular when nursing plentifully.  Learning to temp and chart will help you pinpoint ovulation every month, it's a little hard to imagine remembering to do it every morning but it's actually easy to create a habit of it.  It's so helpful to know what is going on with ovulation. 

Reducing nursing particularly night nursing would tend to have a positive effect on your cycles but I would avoid pushing toward weaning when your little one is so young.  I think since you have already had two periods nature is working on helping you along, this one may be irregular but if you start temping you'll learn when to test or not in the future. 

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#4 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information!

Night-weaning (trying to avoid nursing midnight to fivish or sixish) was actually something we were working on before, just because Baby was wanting to do marathon nursing sessions at night, then staying latched, and then FREAKING out when I unlatched him after he was asleep.  So I sort of figured out that just singing and rocking was helping him get back to sleep earlier and more calmly.  Nobody in the house was getting much rest before.

So -- if you have a period, you must have ovulated?  That would make more sense to me.  

I guess it really doesn't matter -- we're just letting things happen as they will, so I don't know why this is bothering me so much.  Before conceiving I really never had particularly regular cycles or kept count.  

#5 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 PM

I totally understand about the night nursing. I learned after my first that it was sooo much better when I got them used to falling asleep without the boob in their mouths even when I didn't need to.  When they were relaxed and sleepy and satisfied turned out to be the perfect time to practice being comfortable without being latched on.

I am not very knowledgeable about anovulatory cycles, but they do exist.  Still, if you had your period I would assume ovulation had occurred.

There have been monthly discussion threads among the nursing mamas here who are TTC for years-- they'd probably be a great resource for information for you: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1375661/nursing-mamas-ttc-march  Just post your questions and I'm sure they will help.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page