TTC after miscarriage and mirena - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies,

I had the Mirena IUD for 3 years 3 months. The IUD was removed in November and I had 3 periods till I got pregnant.  I was 8 weeks when I started bleeding went in for a ultrasound they saw the baby it had a good heartbeat, and said not to worry about the bleeding that everything was fine.  Within the next 24 hours I miscarried, when I went back two days later (the midwife ordered another ultrasound) there was NO sign that I had every even been pregnant.

That evening I wondered if the mirena ups ones chance for miscarriage (I have no had problems getting pregnant and no prior miscarriages...although I am older) and just searched for mirena and miscarriages online- it was DEVASTATING-not to mention I was still feeling pretty raw anyways.

I called my midwife the next day and asked if she thought the mirena had anything to do with the miscarriage and she stated very casually "oh you just had it removed in November, ya that probably was part of the problem the mirena thins your uterus and makes it a "hostile" environment,". She then said to wait a few months so my lining had time to built back up (?).  I was speechless I went from thinking that the pregnancy just wasn't meant to be to thinking that a birth control I let myself choose contributed to the loss of a child-my husband NEVER wanted me to use the mirena to begin with.  I then spent the next few days reading postings after posting of women who never had miscarriages have 5-10 miscarriages after the mirena and never be able to carry through a live birth.  Needless to say I was sooooo upset and called my midwives office first thing monday morning to ask them about these stories (this is the office that I got the IUD at there were VERY pro mirena assured me there would be NO problem getting pregnant best protection for moms nursing yayaya).  Another midwife was there and she stated that the mirena probably had nothing to do with the miscarriage and that miscarriages happen 20% of the time I am older (37) and that those sites I was reading are not based on "factual research" and I shouldn't believe everything I read.  She then stated I just need to wait until my next period to try and get pregnant, and that new studies are showing that if the mother is emotional ready the sooner she gets pregnant the better it is.

So obviously with the conflicting stories I have loss all trust with this midwife group and will be looking for another one in the near future. My question now is how long should I wait to try again?  I do feel the clock ticking and am so upset that I waited so long to have the mirena removed we know we wanted another child and I meant to have it removed sooner but we have two cross country moves and a few health issues that postponed the removal (I only meant to use it for 1-1.5 yrs).  My husband wanted two more but I know would feel super lucky if we could have one more.....

Any success stories out there with mirena?  Any thoughts on how long I should wait to try again?  I still have not had my period since the miscarriage and I've told me husband to not even touch me (they were SUPER firm about NOT getting pregnant before I have another period-but now I am questioning everything they said). 

Thanks ladies!

kt

#2 of 2 Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am sorry for your loss. I would think three months was long enough to build lining. Honestly your midwife was right in that 25% of confirmed pregnancies end in miscarriage. A healthy heart beart though should drop the number way way down. Next time you are pregnant ask to have your progesterone levels checked. Progesterone can help a baby hold on to lining that would normally want to shed.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page