Maca and Birth Defects? X-Post - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-01-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Greetings ladies! I would love to hear from any of you who took maca before and during your pregnancy. Just a bit about what I'm asking here: I have been taking maca for the past few weeks to work on straightening out some hormonal issues I've been having. I assumed it would take at least three months to see any effects but I noticed a difference right away. I've been trying to get pg my last six cycles after having a m/c in November w/o success and this month I finally fell joy.gif . Now, I was trying to decide on whether or not to continue with the maca and decided that my best course of action would be to do so as I don't want my hormones to start going nuts again in these early days before the placenta takes over by abruptly stopping. Ok, great. I've been taking 1,500 mg of maca and was going to go down to 500 mg of gelatinized maca. I was going to purchase this brand

http://shop.gaiaherbs.com/Maca-Powder-Gelatinized/p/GAIA-90C42016&c=GaiaHerbs@M-O

but there's a warning for it that states
Quote:
Warnings

This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.

California law requires the above warning when certain chemicals are detected, even when levels are below U.S. federal safety guidelines. This USDA 100% Certified Organic product has been analyzed using ICP-MS equipment and validated to be well below the federal safety guidelines.

If pregnant or breastfeeding, consult a healthcare professional before use.

Keep away from children.

In my research this is the only time I've come across anything at all about birth defects or reproductive harm when it comes to maca. The only thing I can think of is they're possibly talking about the selenium that's in it. I have to wait until the weekend is over to call Gaia to ask what exactly they're talking about here as the only ingredient on the label is organic maca root shrug.gif . Who even knows if they'll tell me eyesroll.gif .

Sorry to be so brief but I must go feed my children. I'd love some thoughts on this. Will probably x-post in TTC. BBL...

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#2 of 3 Old 06-01-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Pic of the back of the jar:

http://images.iherb.com/l/GAI-14632-2.jpg

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

#3 of 3 Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot to link to the original thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page