Finding a supportive provider for TTC over 40 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A close friend of mine is 40 and wants to have another baby. She never had any problems conceiving in the past and in fact was pregnant recently too but miscarried. She says he current OB is not supportive of TTC over 35 at all but she doesn't know how to go about finding someone who is. Does anyone have any suggestions that I can pass along?

#2 of 10 Old 07-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Bumping for input. Anyone?

#3 of 10 Old 07-24-2013, 05:32 PM

Why not a midwife, instead of an OB? They tend to be more supportive in general...

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#4 of 10 Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

It isnt uncommon to have children over 40, and over 35, well thats very very common. Her OB is an idiot. I would encourage her to change to a different one on for that reason alone. Find another OB, or a midwife. Dont let an idiot  like that discourage her.

dbsam likes this.
#5 of 10 Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 PM

Agree. I've worked with many OB/GYN docs. There are the ones that only like or can handle low risk routine 20 some things. Over 35 is ama so considered higher risk. This doc sounds lazy and narrow minded...I wonder sometimes why they go into the field. I would look for an OB who adverts high risk pregnancy. Even if you have no complications its someone who accepts challenges. ALSO a group with a doc and cnm would be great.

dust.gif

DDX5 '88 '90 '92 '97 '99. TR 5/2011. HSG 9/2011 R TUBE OPEN. HSG 5/12 both tubes closed. SECOND tubal reversal surgery 7/12 , CP 3/2013 ttc "our" first @40 DH 46.
#6 of 10 Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 PM

I'm going to go ahead and agree. I've already had one of my kids over 35 and when I told my OB that we were going to try for one more, he didn't even blink. Cheez Liouse. 

As to how to find another OB, tell her to go to her health insurance website and perform a search for providers in her area. She could also ask her friends about their doctors.

#7 of 10 Old 08-11-2013, 01:10 PM

I agree with everyone else and just wanted to add that my mom had 6, SIX kids over the age of 35, and 3 of the kids she had over the age of 40. Her last baby was at age 45. So offer that to your friend if she needs encouragement! I would ditch that OB asap.

Wife to dh_malesling.GIF ; Mama to A (M/C at 16wks 2011) angel1.gif and love-of-my-life DD M (BORN May 2012) luxlove.gif and S (M/C at 7wks June 2013) angel1.gif and rainbow1284.gif Rainbow Baby due in April 2014 3rdtri.gifjoy.gif
h20homebirth.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif
#8 of 10 Old 08-19-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the late replies, I have had some personal things come up and hadn't been back here in a while. Anyway...

She can't afford a midwife and there aren't many options in her area anyway. The state she's in is rather restrictive regarding midwives too (though not as bad as some, but still not terribly easy going) and I think she would risk out, even though she'd had perfect pregnancies before. She's also on state insurance so that limits her to OBs only as well. (Not legally married and her state won't let her on her husband's insurance unless they officially get married.) I will suggest she start checking with high risk obs. She feels confident about her decision, just needs to find a doc that isn't going to give her a really hard time about it.

#9 of 10 Old 08-20-2013, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Fyi,  i had a midwife on medicaid, and a homebirth. Im in nyc, maybe it different in her state.

#10 of 10 Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly it is different in her state. State insurance won't cover midwives, unless it's a CNM and a hospital birth. The only CNM in her area (3 hour radius) works with her current OB and can't take patients over 35, per the OBs rules.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page