progesterone ? for those with experience - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-19-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies,

Wishing you all well with your journey here.

I am pregnant, but I have a question that I felt some of you here would know the most about.

Before I conceived, my holistic doctor determined that I had low progesterone. She put me on a twice-daily Chaste Berry (Vitex) supplement to increase progesterone so that I wouldn't miscarry next time.

Now I'm 9 weeks pregnant, and have had serious morning sickness, so for many days recently I haven't succeeded in taking both doses, or sometimes taking it at all. After a little while of taking less than I should have, I started to get headaches, and my nipples became less tender.

I googled it and found that headaches are associated with low progesterone, or with coming off of progesterone supplements. So I worried, of course, and have managed to make myself take the full supplement for a day or 2 now. My nipple tenderness returned. But the headaches, though milder, continue. I don't think they are from dehydration.

Anyone have any experience with how to figure out progesterone stuff? My doctor has been hard to get in touch with. My instinct is to take a little more of the Vitex than normal - like 3 a day instead of 2 - but is higher progesterone dangerous to a pregnancy? And can progesterone stay mildly low without causing a miscarriage?

Thank you for any advice you have!

34 yo mom of boy #1 (Spring 2009), baby #2 is here! (Jan 2014)

2nd generation co-sleeper and extended breastfeeder, grateful to my mom for

letting me witness homebirth as a little girl and giving me confidence in my ability to birth normally.

#2 of 3 Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

There are a lot of factors going on here.  Personally, I would be wary of taking more vitex without guidance.  I don't think more progesterone can be a bad thing in pregnancy, but vitex doesn't affect progesterone exclusively.  Are you taking any extra B6?  I found that to be helpful with my low progesterone and it is good for morning sickness.  Also, I noticed that some of my early pregnancy symptoms started to calm down around 9 weeks.  The placenta starts to take over progesterone production around 10 weeks, so what you are feeling could be normal.  A blood test for progesterone could give you a better idea of what's happening.  I hope all is well.  Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 3 Old 07-03-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

PokeyAC, first of all, congratulations on your pregnancy and now, probably, your birth!! Wishing you a great birth.

Thank you so much for your knowledge about Vitex. I was able to get a blood test through my primary doctor, and luckily my progesterone was normal enough that I feel comfortable just continuing the original plan. Your post was VERY helpful to me.

Be well and hope you and your wife have a great year with your baby.

34 yo mom of boy #1 (Spring 2009), baby #2 is here! (Jan 2014)

2nd generation co-sleeper and extended breastfeeder, grateful to my mom for

letting me witness homebirth as a little girl and giving me confidence in my ability to birth normally.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page