Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Trying To Conceive (http://www.mothering.com/forum/178-trying-conceive/)
-   -   Do you test early and often, or do you wait for a missed period? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/178-trying-conceive/1386062-do-you-test-early-often-do-you-wait-missed-period.html)

*MamaJen* 07-03-2013 07:54 AM

Just curious when y'all start looking out for a BFP? We just started trying this month for baby #2 (my second, his first). Baby #1 was a happy oops, so I've never done this on purpose before. Tomorrow will be 7 days post ovulation, so I could conceivably start testing this weekend. But I know that the miscarriage rate is pretty big in those first few days, and up until the recent days of affordable and accurate early tests, most women wouldn't even have known they were pregnant. If I have a super early miscarriage, I think I probably wouldn't want to know about it. I'm trying to make myself wait to test until my period is at least a day late, but it's hard!

TheCrunchyBrit 07-03-2013 07:59 AM

Here's my experience:  I test early and often and thank God I do!  If it wasn't for my frequent testing I would have had no idea about my 5 early losses in a row and would have never have had my surgery to correct the problem.  If I wasn't a POAS addict then I would probably have thought I just couldn't get pregnant and wasted loads of money on unnecessary rounds of IVF.  So I really do think its a very good thing to know about any early losses.

*MamaJen* 07-03-2013 08:01 AM

That's a really good point. Glad you had your baby boy!

newgirlintown 07-03-2013 08:31 AM

When we were trying for #1, I tested early. The two cycles before her I had chemical pregnancies that showed up in early tests and then slowly got fainter and turned to negatives before my period finally arrived, up to 4 days late. It was depressing. Still, I tested 3 days early when I did end up being and staying pregnant, and was glad I did. Now, trying for #2, I am not testing until I miss my period because I just can´t deal with an early excitement and then loss. Also, I dont have access to cheap tests! :)

delightedbutterfly 07-03-2013 11:34 AM

If we are trying then I test early and every second day, unless there's a line and then I may test every day. Although this is the first time I've had access to cheap tests and unfortunately they aren't always available. If we are trying then I'd rather know if I'm having miscarriages (seems to be common for me to have early pre period ones, and I've had two early but well after period was due ones).

If we are not trying then I don't usually think to test until I'm late. And usually the act of going to the $store will bring on AF ;) If we are not trying I don't want to know about early miscarriages... 

TheCrunchyBrit 07-03-2013 01:37 PM

Thanks Mamajen - so am I!  We're going for baby #2 as soon as DS reduces his booby time enough.   I know it's not nice to know about early losses but for me it was vital to getting my treatment.  I guess it depends on the situation though - I think if you're going for #5 or 6 then you kind of already know everything's working!

everythinglove 07-09-2013 06:36 PM

Im an adaddict to poas.....I am currently 9dpo and have tested on CD7 and 9 and got BFN!!!!!