Do you test early and often, or do you wait for a missed period? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: When do you start looking for a BFP?
Early and often 7 53.85%
At least a day or so before my period is due 2 15.38%
Not until my period is late 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious when y'all start looking out for a BFP? We just started trying this month for baby #2 (my second, his first). Baby #1 was a happy oops, so I've never done this on purpose before. Tomorrow will be 7 days post ovulation, so I could conceivably start testing this weekend. But I know that the miscarriage rate is pretty big in those first few days, and up until the recent days of affordable and accurate early tests, most women wouldn't even have known they were pregnant. If I have a super early miscarriage, I think I probably wouldn't want to know about it. I'm trying to make myself wait to test until my period is at least a day late, but it's hard!

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#2 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 AM

Here's my experience:  I test early and often and thank God I do!  If it wasn't for my frequent testing I would have had no idea about my 5 early losses in a row and would have never have had my surgery to correct the problem.  If I wasn't a POAS addict then I would probably have thought I just couldn't get pregnant and wasted loads of money on unnecessary rounds of IVF.  So I really do think its a very good thing to know about any early losses.

Married to Mr. Crunchy June 2008 ~ welcomed our beautiful boy August 2012 ~ baby number 2 due 2nd September 2014 ~ babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth bumming. I love my unvaxxed boy
#3 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

That's a really good point. Glad you had your baby boy!

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#4 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 08:31 AM

When we were trying for #1, I tested early. The two cycles before her I had chemical pregnancies that showed up in early tests and then slowly got fainter and turned to negatives before my period finally arrived, up to 4 days late. It was depressing. Still, I tested 3 days early when I did end up being and staying pregnant, and was glad I did. Now, trying for #2, I am not testing until I miss my period because I just can´t deal with an early excitement and then loss. Also, I dont have access to cheap tests! :)

Pretty darn crunchy mama to Kiddo (2yo, DD), wife to Hubby, SAHM/aspiring writer/amateur sewist/lover of reading, traveling, music, natural parenting, unschooling, dogs, nature and more. Working on mindfulness and living in the present. Settled in Norway.

We familybed1.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFnamaste.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gifhomeschool.gifand goorganic.jpg...

#5 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

If we are trying then I test early and every second day, unless there's a line and then I may test every day. Although this is the first time I've had access to cheap tests and unfortunately they aren't always available. If we are trying then I'd rather know if I'm having miscarriages (seems to be common for me to have early pre period ones, and I've had two early but well after period was due ones).

If we are not trying then I don't usually think to test until I'm late. And usually the act of going to the $store will bring on AF ;) If we are not trying I don't want to know about early miscarriages... 

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#6 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 01:37 PM

Thanks Mamajen - so am I!  We're going for baby #2 as soon as DS reduces his booby time enough.   I know it's not nice to know about early losses but for me it was vital to getting my treatment.  I guess it depends on the situation though - I think if you're going for #5 or 6 then you kind of already know everything's working!

Married to Mr. Crunchy June 2008 ~ welcomed our beautiful boy August 2012 ~ baby number 2 due 2nd September 2014 ~ babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth bumming. I love my unvaxxed boy
#7 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 PM

Im an adaddict to poas.....I am currently 9dpo and have tested on CD7 and 9 and got BFN!!!!!

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page