Folate, not folic acid. (Important for all pregnant and TTC women) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-06-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hi! I have not been tested for a MTHFR mutation but we're in the countdown to TTC. I took regular prenatals (with folic acid) while I was pregnant with my son and he was born with a lip tie. I could go on how breastfeeding really really sucked at times but midline defects such as lip ties and tongue ties are very strongly tied to MTHFR mutations.

MTHFR mutations are also the reason folic acid only prevents around half of neural tube defects, 40% of the population doesn't process folic acid correctly! It won't matter how much you take if your body can't use it. The problem is that its pounded into our heads (and supplemented in our foods) that folic acid is absolutely necessary for pregnancy when the truth is *folate* is necessary for pregnancy.

Anyway, does anyone know how much I should be working up to? I've heard I should pair it with a B-vitamin but which one(s)?

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#2 of 4 Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I take both b6 and b12 with folic acid along with a baby aspirin a day. I do have mthfr. I'm on 5.1 mg of folic a day.

Me - 39 - mthfr c677t and multiple unknown caused m/c's
DH - 40 - old and cranky
DS - 6 - ASD and severe adhd
#3 of 4 Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is that prescribed? It seems pretty excessive. They've found an increase in colorectal cancers with people taking 1/5th of that!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#4 of 4 Old 07-08-2013, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Have you read this thread? http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1184692/real-folate-is-much-better-than-folic-acid - it is kinda long, not remembering if they discussed specific amounts though.

Pat (WuWei here) runs this page https://www.facebook.com/HealThyself/info and might be able to help you.

WifeofAnt likes this.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page