TTC while Breastfeeding and possibly have low progesterone - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-20-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi Mamas

I'm looking for any feedback from your knowledge or similar experiences.....

DS1 is nearly 3, continues to nurse and I only got period back a couple of months ago.  Hubs and I are TTC.

Last months I used OPK to detect ovulation - and it was approx 11-12 days prior to my next period.  From what I've read, the luteal phase needs to be at least 12 days to facilitate implantation/pregnancy.  I've also read that progesterone levels can be low whilst breastfeeding, and that low progesterone can be linked to a shorter luteal phase.

About 5 days before my last period, I had some light spotting.  I've never had this happen before and I've read it can be a sign of low progesterone.

I've been reading about Vitex supplements to help regulate hormones. 

I've also read that when periods return after breastfeeding, it can take a few cycles for things to settle down and stabilize.

I plan to see what happens this cycle and if it looks like I have a short luteal phase, speak with my midwife/the OBGYNs at her practise.

Some additional info...I'm 39, conceived DS1 within a couple of months of TTC, have always had extremely regular periods, no issues etc.

40 y/o married Mama, 3 y/o DS, Angel Baby lost in Sep 2013, Angel Baby lost March 2014.
#2 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've never heard that a 12 day leuteal phase is a problem, only less than 9. I conceived (and know of plenty others) with a 10 day LP. 

Do you have any links about the mid-LP bleeding indicating low progesterone? I had some mid LP bleeding last cycle. (And I am also nursing.)

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#3 of 7 Old 07-25-2013, 07:36 AM

I am in the exact same position as you - nursing an almost 3-year-old, got pregnant in two months first time around, 39 years old, and TTC for 6 months now. I used to have very regular periods but since the return of my period in November, they have been variable.

I have only been tracking my ovulation for the past 3 months and I have learned that my LP is about 9 days, so probably the problem. I have also read that anything over 10 days should be fine for allowing implantation.

I'll be following this thread with interest!
#4 of 7 Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 AM

There's lots of information around about Vitex. Some people propose that it lengthens LPs. I'm taking it now, after reading about it and talking with an herbalist. It's been studied clinically for regulation of menstrual cycles. It is believed to be safe to use while nursing, but can reduce supply. 

tantylynn likes this.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#5 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Mamas

I wanted to follow up on my post - I am delighted to let you know that I got a BFP - I'm now just 4 weeks along, and turned 40 last month, so fingers crossed that it sticks around.

Here is some info about my cycles since my period returned:

1st cycle:  25 days, luteal phase:  unknown

2nd cycle:  29 days, luteal phase:  11 days

3rd cycle:  30 days (my usual length before I was pg the first time), luteal phase:  14 days

4th cycle:  BFP

I also did start taking Vitex a couple of months ago.

Anyway - fingers crossed for everything going smoothly - and best of luck to other Mamas out there TTC.

40 y/o married Mama, 3 y/o DS, Angel Baby lost in Sep 2013, Angel Baby lost March 2014.
#6 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 05:54 PM

Congratulations!!! Sticky sticky bean vibes for you. I assume a May due date? Come join us over in the May 2014 DDC!

#7 of 7 Old 09-17-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, yes end of May 2014...I will join this group!

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page