Antidepressants - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have taken Lexapro for years, but I always planned on going off of it when I started trying to conceive. My (normally very all-natural) midwife strongly advises me to stay on the medicine, but I really don't want my baby exposed to psychoactive drugs. It seems counter intuitive to avoid cold cuts and plastic bottles but down a pill every day. I have a tendency toward some pretty serious depression, but I have never (and would never) hurt myself. Can anybody offer advice, I am really torn.

#2 of 7 Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I would not come off your meds with out doctors supervision. There are some natural ways to treat depression, like 5-htp, SAM-e, fish oil, exercise, and rhodiola, that can be pretty effective, but I wouldnt start those until you titrate off the current medication with a doctors supervision. That said plenty of women use the psychiatric meds during pregnancy, with no issues. So there is that to consider.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 7 Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I should clarify, if I did come off them, I would wean off with the help of a psychiatrist. That was my original plan, but my midwife said I shouldn't come off them at all.

#4 of 7 Old 08-01-2013, 07:44 AM

Depression while pregnant isnt a good thing either. However, if you are managing it then it shouldnt be a problem. If you are just coming off your meds, planning to just grin and bear it, that is not good at all.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#5 of 7 Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 AM

My doctor explained that uncontrolled mood issues increase chances of poor pregnancy outcomes.  I have bipolar disorder and am trying to balance everything.  So, I have weaned down to less than half of my meds, but I'm not going any further, and may even raise them back up again in a few weeks.

I'm TTC, and have to supplement progesterone for luteal support.  It is really doing a number on my moods.  It seems even worse than dropping my med doses.

I think, ultimately, we just have to decide what balance to aim for, and to try to accept whatever compromise we make.  Depression carries its own set of risks.

Good luck on your journey.

Mom, , to DS(10), , , due November 3, 2014, and 4 's: 4/01, 7/01, 9/01, and 12/13. DP to .

****5****10****15****20***25****30****35****40
#6 of 7 Old 10-26-2013, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
If you feel stable and supported, maybe stopping while TTC and 1st trimester, but re-starting if needed in 2nd trimester or immediately postpartum d/t risks of PPD.
#7 of 7 Old 10-30-2013, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Don't feel guilty for staying on the meds.  You've got to take care of you before you can take care of a baby!  I read about adverse effects of Lexapro and it seems that it's possible but linked only to really high dosages (like 20 to 50 times the max human dose). 

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page