Mothering Forum banner

cant get pregnant :(

548 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TheCrunchyBrit 
#1 ·
im trying to get pregnant but cant seem to get my body to want it as well. i was on birth control (depo) for almost 4 years. stopped getting it when i was 19 and im now 21. ive finally been having regular periods for about 4 months. (this is a first) and my boyfriend and i are trying. last month was our first time "actually" trying. we went by my ovulation days. didnt quite work. my little sister just found out she is about 7 weeks. she was on depo for a couple years got off, then started the pill. she didnt take it right and ended up pregnant. i started the pill 2 days into my period. im now 2 days in the pills. could the pill work for my body to actually start ovulating or was my sister just lucky? thanks! anything would help

#2 ·
I wouldn't take the pill to try to conceive if I were you. Just give your body a bit of time. If this was your first month actively trying, not getting pregnant immediately is no surprise nor is it anything to worry about it. As I understand it, two partners with full-fertility will on average take 4 to 5 months to conceive. That's not to say it will take that long, just not to be surprised or worried if it does. I know it seems weird after having spent years trying not to get pregnant that your body doesn't get pregnant immediately when you're doing all the right things and not doing anything to stop it. That's how I felt! But just relax, keep yourself healthy and keep trying. Good luck!

#3 ·
I second DaisyMay - one month missing out is nothing to be worried about and I definitely wouldn't start the pill at all. Your sister just got lucky.

The only question I do have though is about your ovulation days. How do you know your ovulation days? Are you charting your mucus and BBT or using ovulation test strips? The reason I ask is that just going off the calendar is not accurate at all. Dr.s love to spout rubbish about women ovulating on day 14 of their cycles. Erm, no they don't unless they have a perfect 28 day cycle with a perfect 14 luteal phase. My cycle before DS was always between 31-33 days long (but my luteal phase was a 'perfect' 14 days), which meant I ovulated anyway from day 17-19. There's no way of telling when I would have a 31 day cycle and when I'd go 33 days though so ovulation strips were a great help.

Aside from pinpointing ovulation, the test strips or taking your BBT can help in another way. The best time to 'baby dance' to get pregnant is actually 24-48 hours before ovulation and the ovulation strips actually work by detecting the hormone surge that happens around that time (your temperature spikes after ovulation so BBT may not be as helpful here). So if you BD when you get a positive test, the idea is that you have sperm ready and waiting when that egg comes out. It really is luck though. A fully fertile woman only has about a 20% chance of a pregnancy each cycle. Its a waiting game. I've known friends take 8 months, 15 months - all normal. If you're under 30 then trying for up to 2 years is considered fine. It doesn't help when you desperately want a baby to hear this but I promise you that if you relax about it then you're more likely to get pregnant too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.