How can I get my period started while I'm breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Without weaning in any way, decreasing frequency, delaying nursing, or anything along those lines.

My 16-month-old (and 3rd child) went through a phase a couple of months ago where she was so busy growing and exploring that she hardly nursed at all, and she slept pretty well at night so didn't nurse much then either.  I commented to my husband that I could totally wean her if I was willing to.  Consequently, I ovulated and conceived.  I was so excited!  But then I lost the baby.  

But my toddler began nursing more often, and now my body doesn't recognize that it needs to finish the cycle.  I ovulated, conceived, lost the baby, but have had no bleeding.  My pregnancy wasn't very far along, no more than 5-6 weeks (or, 2-3 weeks after conception), so it's possible that the embryo and placenta were reabsorbed by my uterus.  But I'd still like to get my cycle started for peace of mind, to know for sure that my uterus is empty and isn't carrying dead tissue around anymore.

So, I've tried red raspberry, red clover, blue cohosh, pennyroyal, ginger, parsley, false unicorn, black cohosh, and vitex, in various combinations over the last month.  I have felt cramps, but almost entirely mild ones, and none of them have produced any blood.  

I have one more reason for wanting to get my period started: that third child who is my current nursling, was conceived on the very first cycle after her sister was born (and they're 3 years apart, it took that long for my period to start).  That cycle was very weak, only 2 days of light bleeding followed by a 43-day follicular phase.  I believe that I had very thin endometrium, which led to that embryo implanting into the muscle of my uterus, a condition known as placenta accreta.  I actually did have another period, which started the same day I got a positive pregnancy test, and it was a nice heavy one that lasted the normal 5 days, but that embryo survived b/c she was implanted so deeply.  So when she was born, her too-deeply-attached-placenta would not fully detach, and I hemorrhaged and almost bled to death.  I hope that if I get my cycles started again and my body gets used to making and shedding a nice thick endometrium, my next child's birth will be safer.

Thanks for any advice yall can give!

Miranda

#2 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

So, awful question - when you say "no bleeding", do you mean you didn't bleed from miscarriage? 

Is there a possibility that you're still pregnant?  Have you taken another pregnancy test, or had an ultrasound?

#3 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Correct, I didn't bleed from the miscarriage.  And there is no possibility I am still pregnant.  

I knew I was in danger of miscarrying when the severity of my symptoms (fatigue and nausea) didn't match the faintness of the positive lines on my HPTs.  I've been pregnant three times, and it was almost exactly the same every time.  I felt about 6 weeks pregnant, but the faint positive line was the same as I got at just 3 weeks pregnant.  So I went and got a blood test, with the intention of getting another one within a few days to see what my hCG did over time.  Well, that first one came back 0 hCG, so there was no need for a repeat test.  It was surreal, looking at that test result, still feeling so queasy I could hardly eat.  But within a few days my symptoms went away and the HPTs came up negative again.

I have since been keeping track of my BBT so that if I ovulate again I'll know about it!

#4 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Have you had an ultrasound?  Because that's the next step I would take with a potential missed miscarriage (sorry for the awful medical euphemism). 

#5 of 5 Old 09-15-2013, 07:51 AM

I think you need an ultrasound to find out what is going on... I don't think the problem is necessarily the nursing.  Even women who are not nursing can have a missed miscarriage... 

Me (42) DH (43), Catholic Mom to DD (11), DS (6), DS (1)

Expecting #4 in May 2014

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page