Feelings When TTC - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did you have ambivlance about TTC?
No! Just excitment. 2 22.22%
Yes. It is natural to feel nervous about big changes. 7 77.78%
Yes, and it was a sign that it was not the right time for us to TTC. 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-09-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Hey Mamas! 

I wanted to ask about TTC feelings. A bit of background - we have been waiting to TTC until after our son turned two. It's been all I can think about for months! Basically, we've thought a lot about the decision and are so excited. I've talked to prospective midwives, etc.  I got my IUD out, and after finishing up a little medical issue we'll start TTC (actually my period is due soon so I think we'll miss this next cycle - we have to abstain while I finish this treatment which is a few more weeks). Anyhow, now that we're actually here I keep having these thoughts, and they surprise me a bit.

What if I have a miscarriage? How will that affect me as a mother to my DD and DS?

What if the new baby is autistic or really difficult? DD and DS are so wonderful - easy going, loving, wonderful, smart. 

I'm so happy with my life right now, what if the new baby changes that?

These thoughts surprise me a bit, because I felt so strongly about TCC. Have other mamas had this ambivalence even though they were also really wanting to TTC? Just normal cold feet or a sign that we aren't ready?

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!
#2 of 4 Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

... is it my breath? shrug.gif

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!
#3 of 4 Old 09-10-2013, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm on my mobile so I wont be able to go into detail, but in my experience those sorts of thoughts are absolutely normal. I now have a 2 mo old and a 3.5 yr old, and thankfully our ttc period was really short, because my thoughts and emotions about it were all over the place. I still had some ambivalence and uncertainty during early pregnancy, but by that point iy was no longer something I could back out of. And DH and I had been planning #2 for a while! We were really excited about it and even dd had been asking for a baby sibling for a while. I yhink its normal to worry about rocking the boat when making big life changes.

It's only been 2 months now, but I'm really happy to say that things are going much better than i had ever anticipated. dd wad a challenging baby, but the new baby is so easygoing and a brilliant sleeper.
mareseatoats likes this.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#4 of 4 Old 09-10-2013, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First off, I'm sure what you're feeling is completely normal.
I've been ttc for 22 months now. It would be my first. DH is amazing, but is type 2 diabetic with mild ED and a definite decrease in sex drive. We haven't been able to test his sperm and I'm going crazy with every period I get. The difficulty of ttc really came between us and I'm trying to not focus on monthly timing so as not to create stress. We are back in a good place. I've thought a million times over....what if, what if, what if. Then I had a heart to heart with myself one day. I want to be pregnant so badly. What if the child, my child that i wanted so badly, had a disability??? I would be the best damn mother that child would ever have! I am just THAT strong that I could handle anything for my baby. For MY baby, our baby. i believe that you, as a mother already, would have that same love, no matter what. I wish you a happy, healthy addition to your life, but no matter what, you'd be great.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page