What are the odds of having a healthy baby at 43 years old, dh is 46 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-11-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a 6 and 8 year old but started dreaming baby again after I got unexpectantly pregnant this summer.  I am in the middle of a missed miscarriage and so sad about it.  However, it does have me thinking about actually *trying* again.  I thought we were done but now not so sure.  Does anyone know what the odds are of us having a healthy babe at our advanced age :) (me 43 and hubby 46).  Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 09-11-2013, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I don't know the odds per se but plenty of women have healthy babies at 43. My friend in France just had a beautiful baby boy at 43! Sorry about your miscarriage. It's good your are acknowledging your feelings and grieving! ( hugs to you)
#3 of 7 Old 09-11-2013, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
This article indirectly will help you with some answers. The author has done extensive reviews of available literature regarding TTC at an "advanced maternal age". Best of luck!

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/07/how-long-can-you-wait-to-have-a-baby/309374/2/

Sierra, wife to DH , Mama to DD (2012) and DS(2014). In love with my family and hoping for inner .
#4 of 7 Old 09-11-2013, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
And blessing to you while you are greiving. Sorry for your loss. xoxo
tracyamber likes this.

Sierra, wife to DH , Mama to DD (2012) and DS(2014). In love with my family and hoping for inner .
#5 of 7 Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 PM

I am so sorry for what you are going through.  I couldn't read your post without responding.  Two years ago, I was where you are now.

At that time, dd was 4 1/2 years old.  Dh and I had made the tough decision that she would be our only.  When I found myself unexpectedly pregnant, I went through a gamut of feelings, but in the end I was overjoyed for my "second chance".  Then, I miscarried at 9 weeks.  I was devastated.  I was so afraid that I was too old to have another child.

I gave myself time to grieve, went on a "fertility cleanse," and made dh (who was 50 at the time) go on a "fertility cleanse" as well.  (I don't know if the fertility cleanse helped or not, but it made me feel empowered for the months I was grieving before we TTC).  Five months after the miscarriage, I was pregnant!  I was 44 when I gave birth to my amazing, wonderful, pure bundle of joy - dd2.  I had a picture perfect pregnancy and had an easy birth.

We are getting ready to celebrate dd2 1st at the end of this month.  :love 

BTW - I have a good friend, who is 44 and pregnant.  The pregnancy was a surprise for them too.  She is in her 2nd trimester and everything is going beautifully!

There is hope.  Sending :stillheart your way.

#6 of 7 Old 09-13-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your kind responses.  I am grateful.  It is such a painful time right now.

Isaoma - what fertility cleanse did you go on?  That sounds like a good thing to do :).

#7 of 7 Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfamilyhaslyme View Post
Isaoma - what fertility cleanse did you go on?  That sounds like a good thing to do :).

I did a lot of reading and came across this website:

http://natural-fertility-info.com/prepare-for-conception

The article focuses on getting your body ready for conception by cleansingexcess hormones (psuedo-estrogens for example).  Basically, it is a liver cleanse by itself or with a uterine cleanse  I felt it helped my body recover from the miscarriage as well.  I didn't buy their cleanse products, but took their advice.  Along with the herbs they recommended, I also ate greens, sprouts, and wheatgrass.  I'll write more later - by 11 month old wants my full attention.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page