Fertility Diet? Worthwhile or no? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-04-2013, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 20 months now and still a nursing fiend, which in my case so far has meant no return of fertility yet. I've begun working out of the home, so some days she goes up to 12 hrs without nursing, but does nurse a minimum of 4 times over night. I get the feeling I will have to wean her fully to be able to conceive. DD is so emotionally dependant on nursing, I want to try a Weston A Price style fertility diet first. I was wondering if anyone had any successes from dietary changes? Also, what do you all think of fertility super foods like maca? It's going to be a stretch enough as it is good buy mostly organic, are super foods worth stretching a little more?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#2 of 11 Old 10-04-2013, 10:52 AM

Maca comes in capsules too, it's not that expensive. I've never read about the fertility diet though.

Another thing to think about is that sometimes nursing while pregnant hurts a lot and/or your milk dries up early. I had a friend who really wanted to tandem nurse but pregnancy forced her into weaning by the time she was 6 weeks along.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 bouncy.gif   Pregnant with #2, hoping for a  stork-girl.gif 

#3 of 11 Old 10-10-2013, 07:20 AM

I don't know for sure if it works or not personally.  You may have already found this blog but I love Mommypotamus.com.  She has lots of info about this stuff on her website. If I remember correctly, the doctors told her she couldn't have children at first.  That's how she got started with WAP.  Now she's pregnant with #3.  Also, www.FoodRenegade.com is a good WAP site and she has an ebook about babies and fertility.  Oh and so does Mommypotamus.com!

HTH,

Marnita

#4 of 11 Old 10-28-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

Maca comes in capsules too, it's not that expensive. I've never read about the fertility diet though.

Another thing to think about is that sometimes nursing while pregnant hurts a lot and/or your milk dries up early. I had a friend who really wanted to tandem nurse but pregnancy forced her into weaning by the time she was 6 weeks along.

Try to get gelatinized maca if you can, the raw maca can be hard to digest and can give you goiters. 

#5 of 11 Old 10-28-2013, 03:54 AM

I had huge success with a paleo/primal diet which is almost the same as Weston A Price. We were trying to conceive for years and then a few months after switching to the diet recommended by Chris Kresser is his Healthy Baby Code, I was pregnant. I continued through pregnancy and nursing and am still following a slightly modified version even today. 

#6 of 11 Old 11-17-2013, 03:49 PM

i've been on a WAPF/paleo style diet since 2005 (raw foods in 2003, gluten-free since 2001) and while superfoods are great, i find focusing on the whole foods and well-prepared foods has done my body good.  the fermented cod liver oil is the one supplement i ALWAYS have on hand.  

i'm mostly dairy free, and grain free, but eat plenty of local veggies, bone stocks, home-rendered lard, coconut oil, pastured butter, organ meats, and nuts.  sometimes i worry that it makes me a little too fertile.  i have cycles from 6 months on, and have tandem nursed my middle three together (in sets of two, i weaned DD1, when DD2 was 10 months and i got pregnant w/ DD3)- so for milk supply, energy, and healthy pregnancies, i think it's great to eat loads of nourishing fertility supporting foods!  (i'm working on the child spacing rules.  it sounds ideal, but has been challenging for me to manage to space my pregnancies!  finally found Creighton model and that has been the most effective method so far)

prior to gluten-free and WAPF diet, i was infertile.  i had 6 cycles a year max, and a miscarrage before i found out that i could even conceive (hadn't really been expecting it).  i really believe it's worth it to find a way to incorporate the parts of the diet that really work for you (i can't eat liver once a week, just not happening!).so i'm a believer, but also understand there are some modifications necessary to make it work for me and my family.

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#7 of 11 Old 11-18-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your experiences ladies, this really motivates me to try the diet again. Lately, more often than not my daughter is up nursing every 1-2 hours at night. Soon we will work on night weaning, I don't think my body can handle all this night nursing anymore! Any tips for following a paleo/WAPF style diet on a tight budget?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#8 of 11 Old 11-19-2013, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just want to chime in with a bit of a different POV here. I implemented the grain-free, high fat, lard rendering, organ meats, ghee, bone broth, etc. and so on for our family for about a year looking to help our multiple food allergies/intolerances and some other issues (my DS1 is severely allergic to several foods and the rest of us have certain intolerances). At first I felt great, even lost weight, a lot of it! Wasn't even going in for that purpose. Then my DS1's allergies and eczema started getting worse, worse than they've ever been, my fertility fell off a cliff (I've had two m/c's over the last year and am battling hormonal imbalance and secondary infertility now), my PMDD got worse, and a whole slew of other things. I've backpedaled hard over the last few months and gone back to an everything in moderation way of living for us and we're slowly getting back to some sanity around here. My son's eczema is finally getting better, even though it's still way worse than it's ever been. I mean, he didn't even have constant pruritic issues and eczema anymore since I started discovering his food triggers and eliminated them when he was a baby. As long as he stayed away from his regular allergens he hadn't had an issue for 5+ years (since a little after he turned 1YO) until I started looking for a health panacea. I'd never had any issues getting pregnant and staying that way until undergoing these dietary changes to be "healthier" either. I think at first it was fine but I don't think this type of diet helped my hormonal issues at all and in fact I believe it helped to make things worse. I think this type, any type, of dietary overhaul is amazing for some, not so much for others, and can be downright catastrophic for some of us. I would say tread carefully and see what works for you. GL!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#9 of 11 Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 AM

^^^wow!  that's horrible!  I'm so sorry you had to go through that!

i wonder what the triggers and unhealthy parts were for you and your family?  i've never heard of that response from anyone before, and i've health counseled many families through this!  

you definitely need to figure out what works for you and yours (we use quinoa and sourdough brown rice, and corn around here, just not any gluten grains or gluten-free prepared goods).
And if something is not working, it's important to tweak it.  

What have you added back in that has been helpful and beneficial? Do you think there were deficiencies?  What was the biggest imbalance for you? What have you kept in your diet?  (for example, we love gourmet cooking so always have bone stocks on hand anyways b/c they're delicious and are a part of so many great foods, but have cut out coconut oil on and off as it is a luxury item for us).

And what allergies did you find out your son had specifically?  I've heard so many variations w/ eczema and it's such a balancing act for all the mom's i know who struggle w/ it.

blessings and rest!!!

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#10 of 11 Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi HouseofPeace. Yeah, the last year+ has been full of crazy (to put it mildly). Well, as far as triggers, there were probably a multitude. During these dietary switchups I was so confused. "Aren't things supposed to be getting better?" I thought. "Oh, a 'healing crisis', you don't say! Well, that's probably it!" But the "healing crisis" never got better. My son started getting swelling, redness, and hives when eating foods he was fine with before like apples and watermelon. I continued to refine things, continued to tweak, got the apple and watermelon allergies to step back, but everything else just kept getting worse. We were doing vitamins and probiotics, expensive CLO/BO capsules. I cook everything from scratch pretty much now because I have to. I've always cooked from scratch as that's just how I grew up (I used to LOVE cooking!) but before we had choice. We used to be able to eat out sometimes and if my son had a little bit of something with one of his milder triggers, never bothered him. Before we started these dietary changes we ate pretty well but also ate garbage when we felt like it, ya know, some Nature's Own cookies or grocery store fried chicken every once in a while, never a problem.

Then, over the course of our grain-free pool dip my son started reacting to any and everything. Raw cider vinegar? Brought on itching, swelling. Sourdoughs (which were gluten-free), homemade coconut yogurt, coconut butter, water kefir, bags under his eyes got worse, itching, skin progressively got worse. Everything that was supposed to be helping and making us "healthier" made my boy react! His milder allergies blew up, the hives and other reactions got worse. It used to be that he could have say, something fried that had egg in the batter. Now? I have to Epi-Pen him if he even looks at an egg too hard.

For me, in addition to the things I mentioned above, a painful cyst started growing on my inner left lower eyelid. This thing got pretty big too. I was getting knots in my breasts. I had severe brain fog. I developed severe menorrhagia where I was bleeding 700+ mL of blood every month (excessive menstrual bleeding is anything over 80mL; I've always had a heavy cycle but nothing, and I mean nothing like this) with huge clots to boot. Not to mention the dysmennorhea; omfg, the pain each month has been excruciating (and I thought I had painful periods before, nono, that had nothing on this). I couldn't conceive after never having an issue before. After I finally did conceive again, about six months after my first m/c (I've always conceived on the first "try" so I was baffled and becoming quite concerned) then turned around and m/c'd again, a cycle later, maybe two, I started having hot flashes, nausea, breasts hurt all the time, headaches, severe mood swings, really the list goes on and I won't go into all of it here. I found out what estrogen dominance/low progesterone is. Holy hell, this was it! This was what was wrong with me! I'll bet this is what's wrong with my baby! (increased allergies are also an estro dom sign). Doctors couldn't figure my stuff out, allergists couldn't figure my son's stuff out. But they never have been able to, which is why I've been questing you see.

We've done various things over the last six months to start coming back from all this. Some of what we've done:

-We went vegan for a month to give our livers a break (I was vegetarian for a while in my 20's and I don't think vegetarianism is for us but it is a great detox).

-Scaled waaaaaaaaay back on animal protein and fat (cut out lard rendering completely) when we did start eating meat again

-Brought grains back

-Hit the fresh veggie juices hard (we've always juiced but kind of fell off for a bit when our juicer broke before we got it replaced

-Lifted the ban on things like safflower and grapeseed oils and potato chips, sugar isn't the devil

-Just got back to moderation on everything.

If it's not an allergen for us then it's fair game. This is how we used to eat, and we were all doing just fine. And you know what? We're getting better, so much better. We're finding our way back to our normal. My son is still fighting the eczema and itching but his skin isn't raw now. Since I've added on Vitex the cyst on my eyelid is almost gone and my other estro dom symptoms are waaaaaaaay better and I'm looking for things to continue to improve. I'll stay off of any extreme one way or another from now on.

I now understand that my hormonal issues have been an issue for me for years, I just didn't realize what was going on. But I absolutely believe the grain-free/high animal protein and fat really helped send me over the edge. My DH, my DS2, and I can still eat coconut oil, palm oil, palm shortening, legumes, and many other things that my DS1 can't but we don't go there as much because it's far easier for me to cook food we all can eat. Plus, I don't want to overburden our livers again. My DS1 is allergic to dairy (any and all), eggs, legumes (he used to be able to eat pinto and black no problem but not anymore), all nuts and seeds except for pumpkin seeds, he stays away from coconut. I'm sure there's something I'm leaving out but as you can see that's a pretty good chunk of food that he can't have already.

I'm leaving out plenty and this is likely extremely disjointed and needs a good deal more editing but it's gotten super long and I need to go to the gym as everyone is getting up for the day and demands will be made of me soon lol.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#11 of 11 Old 11-20-2013, 01:41 PM

mamacats....i totally understand what you are saying....I have been on the health kick or whatever you wanna call it with my family on and off for some years now. And this is what I've found in MY situation...before detoxing my body I think my body had become so unhealthy and "numb" that I wasnt even really having any negative symptoms..I did start to have some but it wasnt too bad. After detoxing I noticed that my body became so much more sensitive! I'd eat perfectly for some time...paleo pretty much, although isnt paleo grain free? I go gluten free but I'll have brown rice and quinoa and stuff...anyway, if I ever broke down and had a sandwhich or some pizza things would flare up worse than they'd ever been before...one of my symptoms being my elbows...I'd flare up with this bumpy itchy rash on my elbows a day or so after eating gluten and it was so bad I'd have trouble sleeping at night because it itched so bad! Anyway, point being is after a good detoxing diet as I'm sure you know your body suddenly is more sensitive to "triggers" and can flare up much worse..or even if you arent eating a trigger there's always the candida die off which can last as much as some months if i remember correctly...basically, the negative bacteria in the body dies off from starvation if you are eliminating carbs, sugars and so on...which can actually give you worse symptoms before getting better. I personally only made it once a few years ago completely carb sugar free for the two weeks it takes for the die off to begin and WOW! I got really sick. it was aweful...now though we are kinda doing what you are doing and everything in moderation...I do allow some sugar. I do allow some bread...but VERY little of these things...my husband could vouch for this...if he eats too much bread I start freaking out! hahah. myself and my daughter...we hardly have any at all. we stick to brown rice, squash, sweet potatoes and so on...

Element-this was your thread and i do have input on your question. I literally grew up on JUNK FOOD! my parents never taught me any better. I ate so much cookies and candy, bread, mac n cheese, pizza, ramen noodle...i mean so much carbs and sugars...i knew i was making myself fat and boy was I ever! but i never realized the damage I was doing to my body in doing this. i now suffer from scalp psoriasis, a very slow thyroid and weight issues still to this day even though I've gotten smarter in my eating habits...anyway, i took birth control sometimes in my twenties, but I was never very good at keeping up on it and there was times i didnt bother with it at all because i was with somebody so long term and i really wanted kids so badly anyway! i can honesly say i think i spent more time off of the pill than on it in my twenties...i was kind of wild back then :) am now 32 and didnt detox until before getting pregnant with my now 2 year old. I always had a very scattered period...maybe every 3 or 4 months...and i never got pregnant. although i wouldnt say i was technically "trying" i wasnt trying not to so whats the difference...and in all those years i didnt get pregnant. i truly believe i was infertile. it wasnt until I learned what i was doing to myself and detoxed my body that i began having regular periods and i got pregnant right away with my first...then when we decided to have another i got pregnant rather easily again..so i basically went from being infertile or miss fertile just by detoxing my body. i strongly believe diet makes a huge difference in fertility....i dont know anything about the pregnancy superfoods...although i hear you can get pregnant while breastfeeding..although i think its less likely? anway, good luck to you! I probably rambled more than i needed to there but the topic of diet and fertility caught my eye :P

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page