Does a late BFP always indicate potential for miscarriage (and other ramblings...) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-09-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi all,

I've been off the board since July when I found out that I had a blighted ovum. It took us a couple months to grieve and recover and starting to think about trying again. We're not 'trying' but not NOT trying either..you know that dance.  I also have not been charting because I didn't want to obsess about things. Just wanted to have sex like a normal couple and if things synced up - well fabulous.

We're having a delayed honeymoon in January so we figured until then we could just have sex when we wanted without over-thinking. After that we'd actively try. However, since I'm 40 we were advised not to wait too long so we set the post honeymoon date to effectively try.  

This cycle ( I think I O'd early?) when we were doing the horizontal mambo - and he pulled out. Afterwards I said babe, why did you do that? He didn't really have an answer but I think after all we went through maybe he's afraid of getting me pregnant again. ANYway...

I've had a few symptoms (my coffee has tasted funny/not great for last 4 mornings, had some nausea on what would have been 9 dpo-ish) but because I have no chart or temps to go by I really don't have concrete proof of when I ovulated. My best guess is 3 days post the pull-out bandit. I really think my chances of being pregnant are slim to none but it got me to wondering...if I'm where I think I am which is about 11 dpo - and we DID get preg this cycle, would it be a bad sign if I didn't get a bfp until late? In other words, does a late bfp always indicate poor implanting or impending doom of a miscarriage?

I took my first blue dye test by accident (thought it was a pink dye CVS test as it showed pink on the box, such sly marketing!) and it had a VERY faint second blue line within 3 minutes. But its very faint.

I went and bought an FRER pink dye test today and peed on it around noon and in my wildest imagination thought I saw a very faint line. But upon complete obliteration of the test to inspect more clearly - I realized I was seeing things. There was NADA.

So yeah...that's my story and wondering if anyone had at minimum - had a late bfp and went on to deliver happy healthy baby and also could that possibly even happen from him pulling out? The combo makes it seem unlikely.

~ Crickets

#2 of 9 Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
11 or 12 DPO wouldn't be a late bfp. Fertility Friend, with their massive collection of charts, found it's actually average to not get a BFP until close to 14 DPO (13.6 I believe was the average).

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#3 of 9 Old 10-09-2013, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My friend got a BFN at DPO 14 and then a BFP at DPO 18...she is currently 8 months pregnant with no complications :)

Good luck!

surf.gif31 year-old mom with an endlessly active five-year-old boy jog.gif (6/3/08)  waterbirth.jpg  delayedvax.gif

Expecting a baby girlbabyf.gif with my husband and amazing step-dad to DS, June 2014.  stork-girl.gif 

#4 of 9 Old 10-09-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks wifeofant and water mama! Heres hoping so!
#5 of 9 Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 PM

helloooooo crickets!

so glad to hear from you and that you are over the hump of grief. the summer was horrible for me too. a total write off. back to school, work, exercise etc this september i just had no idea how to answer the question from well meaning friends: how was your summer? cue my heart tying into knots. gaaaaah.

I am pregnant again, caught the first O. it happened my second 'cycle' and i had a very light menses in between, like a bit of spotting. 

from your post and test, it may be possible for a bfp. the bfp can depend when you implant. with my second i felt early implantation (3-4DPO) and got a BFP at 10DPO. this last time i think there was later implantation and i got a BFP at 13 or 14DPO. i don't think there is anything good or bad about that. a 'late' bfp would be past 19DPO.

best wishes for a BFP and more healing for you and your husband so that you can welcome this new one. its hard to take the leap of faith and not be anxious about it. I am 6 weeks now and just trying to enjoy each day, although i fantasize about calling the midwife and having her order serial hcg or early ultrasounds. but i don't think that would help much anyways, it would only reassure me for a day.

glad you're 'back'

Jese Mom to Elaina (April 2007) & Macy (June 2010). #3 m/c at 10 weeks (July 2013), #4 m/c at 9 weeks (october 2013). Expecting again! Due October 22/2014.
#6 of 9 Old 10-10-2013, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

jesepumpkin! CONGRATULATIONS! This is AWESOME news!! Great to hear from you!

Sorry your summer was a write-off I completely know what you mean to about well meaning friends - so hard.  

It seems like after the mc, we had a series of unfortunate events and I wasn't sure I could take one more bad thing happening. We had to put our 14 year old dog down - first time for both husband and I, so hard to decide but he had a stroke and couldn't' walk on his own. Or really do anything on own for that matter. His quality of life was diminishing and if we kept him with us, it would have been for us not him. So our remaining dog is sooo sad and glum. It was just a summer full of things like that. But we're coming out of it and with the crispness of Fall and seasons changing I'm embracing all the change that is life. 

Mostly I've made peace with what happened and come to the realization that if this is meant to happen for us, it will and no amount of stressing, eating 100% organically and no GMO blah blah and trying to do everything perfect will change what is meant to be. So I've relaxed a lot and hope that we're blessed with a sweet little spirit one of these days. 

Meantime, I'm skeptical about this cycle only because he pulled out (I know it only takes one but still) and last time around I had a bfp by 9 dpo that slowly darkened each day. So I'm guessing we're out this cycle but can't wait to do all the trying. Bow chicka bow WOWWWW. :-)

Have you noticed that this cycle things happened differently and symptoms were different or were they much the same as the last bfp besides the implantation dates/bfp dates - which in my case unless I'm making it up I had a definite quick twinge on my right side in shower last night, lol just to add to the mystery!

Best!!!

#7 of 9 Old 10-11-2013, 09:39 AM

hi crickets, 

so far things are pretty much the same, tired and hungry. little belly growing. each pregnancy it arrives a little earlier. the one difference is that with my first two pregnancies, my girls, i had some light spotting around expected menses that was implantation spotting. with my last pregnancy i think i got one little blip but not like previous, when the bleeding started at 7 weeks i thought it might be overdue blood coming out. at that point on ultrasound baby looked perfect and heart was beating, it stopped growing about 8 weeks.

this pregnancy i got implantation spotting same as the first two. so i'm taking that as a good sign. bit of nausea this morning.

best wishes for a baby bean as soon as it is time! 

cricketschirpin likes this.

Jese Mom to Elaina (April 2007) & Macy (June 2010). #3 m/c at 10 weeks (July 2013), #4 m/c at 9 weeks (october 2013). Expecting again! Due October 22/2014.
#8 of 9 Old 10-11-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

thanks jesepumpkin. :-)

cool i would say thats a good sign! great news!

i'm in limbo-land. 13 dpo and no AF but no strong lines on test. its all still up in the air. just knowing that it will all unfold as it should, although it certainly is a patience tester. :eyesroll

#9 of 9 Old 10-16-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

AF arrived on CD 28 (Monday) so I think the faulty blue dye tests strike again! Thanks all for your input and here's hoping you'll see me on here in the near future with a nice big fat positive!

Best!

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page