Got a + OPK stick and then period started 12 days later! What? Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my first cycle off BCP's. I did 6 OPK tests and then got a + stick on 9/29/13 (Sun) I felt a twinge cramp on my right side (reminiscent of when we TTC last time around, thus I figured I was actually ovulating and releasing an egg) on 10/1/13 (Tues) and we DTD on 10/3/13....just the one time because I went out of town. Then....my period started on 10/11/13 (Fri) but that was just 12 days later after getting the + OPK stick! I thought it would start NEXT week, not this week. I was surprised it started early as it's supposed to be a 2 week wait....not a week and a couple days.

My question is......has anyone else had this scenario happen? Is this normal? Could I be pregnant? I don't know.

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 
#2 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

That happens to me every time I come off birth control (I've tried a few since they all apparently hate me).  It only happens for the first cycle though. Anything over 10 days is supposed to be a normal length though.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#3 of 6 Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 PM

You could have a LPD - luteal phase deficiency, which means your LP is shorter than 10 days. Sounds like your hormones are not balanced yet?

And no, chances are more likely u are not pregnant, since most women need a luteal phase to be more than 10 days, preferably 12-14 days, to give any possible embryos Time to implant. Too short a LP and the possibly embryo doesn't have time to implant.

Even though it is possible you ovulated the same day as your +OPK and had a LP of 11 days, which is normal. It is only 3 days shorter of a full 2 weeks.

A potential embryo implants on average on days 5DPO-10DPO, an average near 7-8DPO. But some women don't implant until as late as 13DPO.... But that is rare.

Taking B6 the entire cycle can help with LPD and elongate your LP.

It also may just be your timing of just stopping BC.

Good luck!
#4 of 6 Old 10-27-2013, 10:27 PM

Also why did u wait so long to DTD after you began getting so many +OPK results? You could ovulate on any of those days and up to 48 hrs after the last one max.

The only way you could possibly know when u ovulated is if you were to take your basal body temp (BBT) every day as directed in BBT charting instructions.

Only by BBT charting can u pinpoint which day and which +OPK led to trigger your ovulation, causing a sustained thermal shift in your BBT.

Without knowing your BBT, it is also possible go get positive OPK results and have no ovulation at all.

If u are not temping, you need to start. OPKs alone can only predict possible upcoming ovulation, but they cannot pinpoint the exact day with absolute certainty when and if ovulation happens. Only BBT charting can.
#5 of 6 Old 10-27-2013, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have a 9-10 day LP and have since I started tracking before getting pregnant with dd1.  I have been able to get pregnant 5 times (had 2 miscarriages).  It always takes me about 11-12 days to get a positive pregnancy test though.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#6 of 6 Old 10-30-2013, 04:56 PM

Well that is pretty quick. Only 24% of embryos implant before 8DPO which would thus get maybe a positive HPT at 10DPO. A fertilityfriend.com study of 93,194 charts found the most common test were 13 or 14DPO, right before most women expect AF to visit.

So you're lucky to get results to early!

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page