~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ November 2013 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2013, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie2727 View Post

I've never seen an evap line, so idk what they look like. And maybe I'm totally off base, but that looks like a perfect BFP to me....what makes you think is not?!?!
One more question...after your recent loss, did you find out if hcg returned to 0? Not trying to get hopes up, or dash any hopes...just making sure we're not missing something!

Me , 38 years old; DH , 39 years old
DD - 11 , DD - 9 (both from previous marriage), and me and DH have DS - 4 .
07/04, 02/13, 10/13, 02/14,
05/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

phunkymama- I temp vaginally lol I totally thought that was the way everyone did it until the other day. I just started this cycle though. I feel like it takes forever sometimes. I keep my thermometer in my pillowcase so it's always within reach!

nikwhit- I think that sleeping at least 5 hours and testing within an hour of the same time every day is optimal. So if 8am is your average, anywhere from 7am to 9am is good as long as you aren't sleep deprived. But at least 5 hours of decent sleep is most important. Since it's your resting temp. This is the info I've gathered at least. Someone more experienced can correct me if I'm wrong =)

Update on my husband, he has severe sleep apnea that is basically occurring during the day. He has to go to the doctor to figure out what kind of sleep apnea and also find out if has restless leg syndrome. Has to lose lots of weight. Nice to have a diagnosis. Also nice that he's been asleep for an hour and half. This is the first time he has slept for more than 5 minutes in 5 days. No exaggeration.

Update on me. AF came in the middle of the day. Odd. I ALWAYS start first thing in the morning. And I'm not due until tomorrow, possibly Friday. So this last cycle was 25 days when I'm usually 26, occasionally 27. 

Because of EVERYTHING GOING ON we are moving to waiting to be ready. Hopefully we're only here a month or two.

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFdelayedvax.gifcrochetsmilie.gif               luxlove.gif Happily married 06/2013 love.gif       bouncy.gif DD1 (S) 04/2012  waterbirth.jpg

candle.gif missed mc 04/2013 at 9 weeks candle.gif              stork-suprise.gif Due 09/2014 belly.gif

Old 11-20-2013, 03:46 PM

It seems more grey than pink. It did show up immediately though. It can only be seen clearly from the back of the test strip.

I was getting negative test results at 9 and 10 DPO.

mama to an amazing kid ~ '07  ~ lover of phish, books, sunshine, bare feet, meditation, healthy living, non-gmo, creating, positive good-natured people ~ "disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government & business." -tr

Old 11-20-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

That test definitely looks like an indent to me, not an evap or a positive.

As for the 6:30 alarm, mine is at 5:20! DH doesn't even hear it because I keep my thermometer and my phone right next to my bed. I turn the alarm off before grabbing the thermometer.

You need to be pretty consistent with taking your temperature though. Within 15 minutes of the same time, not an hour. You're even supposed to do 15 minute adjustments for daylight savings time or something.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 11-20-2013, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

That test definitely looks like an indent to me, not an evap or a positive.

As for the 6:30 alarm, mine is at 5:20! DH doesn't even hear it because I keep my thermometer and my phone right next to my bed. I turn the alarm off before grabbing the thermometer.

You need to be pretty consistent with taking your temperature though. Within 15 minutes of the same time, not an hour. You're even supposed to do 15 minute adjustments for daylight savings time or something.

I thought that you could just adjust it one-tenth of a degree up or down for every half hour you wake early or late.  I do this and get very consistent results.  Although I usually wake at 5.  I've woken up at 4 and had to pee really bad, so I'll just take my temp and add 2 tenths of a degree to it.

Married to DH, Mama to dd1 4/06, dd2 8/07, dd3 11/12 and #4 stork-boy.gif due 9/2014!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:31 PM

Also FF says not to do any adjustments for daylight savings, and that our bodies usually adjust within a day or so.

Married to DH, Mama to dd1 4/06, dd2 8/07, dd3 11/12 and #4 stork-boy.gif due 9/2014!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 PM

I only charted for a year with first child. But I know I did take temp at same time during the week. But on weekends I'd sleep in a few hours longer and my charts always looked very normal. I never set my alarm to take it at same time. I think as long as it's a true "resting" temp, it doesn't matter all that much.

Ok, so what is an indent? I've never heard this before. And how do so many ppl get evaps and I've NEVER seen one? And I've peed on about a thousand tests in my lifetime!! Even of I look at a test hours afterward, they've all been stark white or positive. No in between.

05/14
Old 11-20-2013, 05:54 PM

nikwhit: I think if you notice any CM at all throughout the day, that is the kind you're supposed to record. So I you're dry most of the day, but have some creamy CM in the evening, you should record creamy CM.

NaturallyMo: welcome back! Glad to hear you're going to O soon! Hope you catch this egg!

phunky: I've also never taken a test apart so my reference points are not there, but it does seem like those two lines are awfully far apart. Like if the test hadn't been tampered with, that line might not show up in the results window? That's still so weird. Damn hpt's!!

05/14
Old 11-20-2013, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I want to add my 2 cents about temp taking.  The #1 rule in taking temps is to do it exactly the same way each time.  The route (oral, ear, etc.) and exact temp values don't matter nearly as much as the trend.  You will capture the trend if you reproduce the same actions to take your temp each day.  So if you take it immediately when you wake up, the time of day doesn't matter nearly as much as the amount of movement to get the thermometer and the length of time between awakening and taking the temp.  Keep those things the same each day and you should be good.  A crappy night's sleep may affect it a little, but not enough to ruin your trending. 

That's the short answer.  For you info lovers, I'll write more in a following post to explain my reasoning.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 PM

OK here's my reasoning on the temp stuff (from post above).  Blasting this out at warp speed (running out to neighbor's for dinner) so forgive any goofs.

BBT is no area of expertise for me with regard to TTC.  However, in the hospital I took temperatures way more than I ever thought possible.  When a patient is critically ill, very small changes can mean a lot if they indicate a trend. 

I've used the following methods for temps:

- rectal probes (a coated wire that is put in the rectum and remains there)

- esophageal probes (a coated wire that is placed down the esophagus and remains there)

- SWAN (a catheter that is threaded through the heart into the pulmonary vessels and remains there)

- bladder (temp sensor on a catheter inserted into bladder and remains there)

- oral (under tongue, between cheek and gums)

- axillary (in armpit, with arm clamped down)

- ear (usually one ear is better than another, hairy ears are bad)

- dots on a paper strip that sticks to your forehead head

My observations:

1.  The temp itself doesn't matter that much (in an ICU we didn't get too excited unless above 107 or below 93, and even then there's room to go) 

2.  The trend is what will show how things are progressing

3.  Many of these different methods correlate to within two tenths (0.2) of a degree.  So if I have a bladder probe reading 99.9, then maybe the armpit might be 99.6.  We would use multiple methods to confirm unexpected readings.

4.  Temps do fluctuate throughout the day, but tend to keep a narrow range around the same times from day to day, and across 2-3 hour windows when resting**.  I saw this because the temps were on our monitors constantly and I had to record them every 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the situation. 

5.  All measurements were made to the tenth (0.1) of a degree... never a need for a smaller measurement. 

6.  Trends were clear as long as you use the same exact method each time.  Back to #3 above, a change on the bladder temp would show the same change on the armpit temp.

7.  Slight movement, like struggling to lift an arm, could raise a temp 0.1 in less than a minute. 

8.  Thermometers don't read hotter than the actual temp, but they will read lower.  If multiple readings are taken, always use the higher one.

My best guess on what this means for BBT:

Whatever you do to temp, make sure you do it the same exact way every day.  This should give a clear and reliable trend.  I actually use my Braun ear thermometer.  I correlated it several times with hospital grade oral thermometer and it's right on - so why wait 20-30 seconds when I can have it in 5!  I do, however, have to make sure it's taken the same way because my right ear reads lower than my left by 0.3 degrees!

Happy temping. 

**when resting.  Once you wake up in the am cortisol levels and blood sugar start to rise.  This metabolic activity could affect the temp.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 PM

I thought I a line from the front immediately while still in the casing. Then pulled it out and it was even more faint to point I wondered if there was a scratch on the test window. Flipped it over and it looked like a pink grey (mostly grey) indent. But when I touched it there was no indent. Anyway I will test with FMU tomorrow and then see what I get. I'll be 14/15 DPO (think FF may be off a day) tomorrow so that should be plenty of time. Backaches and minor twinges and pressure today.

I'm in class for work, but I will add to the temping convo later smile.gif

mama to an amazing kid ~ '07  ~ lover of phish, books, sunshine, bare feet, meditation, healthy living, non-gmo, creating, positive good-natured people ~ "disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government & business." -tr

Old 11-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Remember how crampy I said I was earlier? Well I came home, peed in a cup and dropped two different OPKs into and immediately saw two lines. Of course I walked away and came back 10 mins later and they were both there.

Ladies, I think ive finally ovulated after not seeing a positive for at least two months. Screw these apps, I'm listening to my body next time.

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Baby Boy born 11/4/2014 at 33 weeks and 1 day - Atlanta, GA

I blog: allthingsandlife.blogspot.com
Old 11-20-2013, 09:38 PM

This is what it turned into when I got home...so now it's def an evap line, right?

Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 PM

Another one just like it! Stay tuned for FMU ;P

Old 11-21-2013, 08:00 AM

So I haven't temped in about a week because of my husbands issues. Well today I got a full nights sleep and woke up in the same range that I had been taking my temp and had the same amount of activity that I usually do before I temp (couple of tosses and turns from nursing the baby and a  big roll to turn off the standing fan) This is day two of my period and my temp is still well above my coverline. 

Um..what?

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFdelayedvax.gifcrochetsmilie.gif               luxlove.gif Happily married 06/2013 love.gif       bouncy.gif DD1 (S) 04/2012  waterbirth.jpg

candle.gif missed mc 04/2013 at 9 weeks candle.gif              stork-suprise.gif Due 09/2014 belly.gif

Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 AM

I thought I would share the picture of my two tests. I kid you guys not, every single test I have taken the last few months have not shown a second line at all. That line popped up quick and stayed, even after going back and checking every 5 minutes. I hope the flash doesn't make it too hard to see. When I told Hubs about the positive he got excited.

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Baby Boy born 11/4/2014 at 33 weeks and 1 day - Atlanta, GA

Old 11-21-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyMo View Post

I thought I would share the picture of my two tests. I kid you guys not, every single test I have taken the last few months have not shown a second line at all. That line popped up quick and stayed, even after going back and checking every 5 minutes. I hope the flash doesn't make it too hard to see. When I told Hubs about the positive he got excited.

Have you guys been BD'g? If so, keep it up! If not....get busy! Now!! Good luck!

05/14
Old 11-21-2013, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

Hi, all.  I am officially back.  As I mentioned a while back, my hcg numbers were not ideal.  I was hoping for a miracle, but it is not very surprising that I started miscarrying last night.  I was supposed to be 8 weeks tomorrow.

Please add me to waiting to O.

I am crushed, but definitely counting my blessings and trying to keep up my spirits and take care of myself.

Jen , mom to DD12  and DS7   and six  ('01, '06, '13, '13, '14, '14).
Old 11-21-2013, 11:27 AM

Weird. I wrote out a post this morning from my phone and it looks like it didn't post!

RE temping. I also read that you should adjust .1 (+ or -) for each half hour that is "off" from your usual waking/temping time. FF.com says not to adjust for daylight savings time, or travel (within close time zones). I usually don't have to adjust except occasionally on the weekends if I'm waking later than usual.

jenjy - I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I went through the same thing a couple cycles back and it was no fun :(

I took another test with FMU this morning and stark white BFN! I bought a 3-pack of the FRER and used two yesterday, and the last one this morning. Obv the two from yesterday were whacked (and didn't use FMU), and this one is clearly the correct one. I've never seen these evap lines with FRER but I'm confident I'm not pregnant. My temp plummeted from 97.89 to 97.69 today so AF will show by this evening. I'm becoming less and less bummed as each cycle passes with a thousand BFNs.

Also, what does "AFM" mean? Something to do with updates?

Old 11-21-2013, 12:22 PM

Thank you so much ladies for the temping help:) 

NATURALLYMO, congrats!!!

jejy, Im so sorry:(

Momma of 6 beautiful boys.4 stolen, one buried, one a grown man.(20) Starting life again, TTC.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:25 PM

@rosie2727 We sure are! I told DH we are going every single night this week! LOL :thumb

@nitwhit76 Thanks! I'm so excited and happy!

Old 11-21-2013, 01:11 PM

phunky: AFM means "as for me"...

AFM: still hanging out at approx 10dpo. I'm trying to wait til 13dpo before testing. I still don't feel very confident about this month, so I'm not even all that excited to test. But that can change at any given second! I may get home from work tonight and POAS! Seriously tho, I'm trying so hard to wait. I just get so down with the BFNs that I don't want it ruining my entire weekend.

05/14
Old 11-21-2013, 02:00 PM

7 dpo here and no symptoms whatsoever.  I know it's early, but still I was hoping I'd have something already.  I'm one of those people who have very early symptoms, and just know I'm pregnant.  I could never imagine being like 6 weeks along and finding out I was pregnant.  I know way before period is due.  

Here's my theory... there is some kind of hormone/chemical that is secreted when conception takes place (before implantation) but they (scientists?) just haven't discovered it yet, or at least found a way to be able to test it.  I actually found an article once that backed up my theory.  

Old 11-21-2013, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
@jenjy oh I am so sorry!!!! I was really hoping for good things!

AFM: I'm siiiiiick. It's not that bad at times and then it does get bad... Just a bad head cold I think.

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
Old 11-21-2013, 02:17 PM

Hi all-

Jenjy- so sorry for your loss

mo- great news on O- that's halfway to BFP!

delighted- hope you feel better soon

AFM- I've been lurking for awhile and have gone from Waiting to Know to AF and not to Waiting to O since I last posted.  I felt the need to take a step back and try to fixate on TTC a little less.  O should be within a day or two then we'll see what happens next.  

I'm a little bummed that it's already the 21st and no BFPs on the thread :(... Good luck to all of us in changing that!

Old 11-21-2013, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

Thank you everyone :grouphug

phunky, evaps are so cruel.  I'm sorry.

rosie, I think your timing was fine this month!  I know it is no fun to look at BFNs, but I can't help being excited for you to test soon...

delighted, feel better soon!!!

mygreenestgrass, I can understand wanting to take a little of the focus off TTC.  I am glad you checked in.

Jen , mom to DD12  and DS7   and six  ('01, '06, '13, '13, '14, '14).
Old 11-21-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateaton View Post
Here's my theory... there is some kind of hormone/chemical that is secreted when conception takes place (before implantation) but they (scientists?) just haven't discovered it yet, or at least found a way to be able to test it.  I actually found an article once that backed up my theory.  

kateaton - actually I think there is.  WifeofAnt can tell us more about it - she posted something about it not that long ago.  I think it was EPF maybe, being produced by a fertilized egg.  Pretty interesting!  Also, 7dpo is like being in no man's land.  Nothing do do!

jenjy - oh jenjy, I'm so sorry.  That was my mc timing exactly as well, back in May and it was such a letdown.  Since that last post here I'd been thinking about you and wondering... (and hoping for the best).  Sending hugs your way. 

MO - I am so envious that you felt O pains.  I never do!  I feel all sorts of odd sensations around that time but never anything. 

crunchy - this is my 2nd month temping and CD1-3 so far I've still been above last month's coverline, but I'm dropping every day.

delighted - that stinks.  drink lots of fluids and get better soon!

phunky - bummer about your results, but at least you got those other tests figured out. 

Old 11-22-2013, 06:54 AM

It's Friday! Yay!:joyY'all this week has been horrendouly busy at work and I'm so ready for a little break before the Thanksgiving break next week. Tuesday will be my last day in the office until the following Monday.

I think my DH is tired of DTD. We have been going pretty strong lately but I wanted to make sure we put in a huge effort this month. I promised him that either tonight (Friday) or Saturday would be the last day for awhile. :wink and quite frankly, I'm runing out of creative ideas to "get him the mood". Anyway, AF is due next Saturday so I plan to wait until then or Sunday to test.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:31 AM

kateaton - I agree w/your theory!

as for theories...here is my evap line theory: I get them a lot bc I'm constantly ripping strips from the casing. It gives them the opportunity to dry out quickly and absorb...thus the evap line. The last test I left in the casing and when I pulled it out 10 hours later it was still wet and there was no evap line. The moral of the story is don't dismember your tests orngbiggrin.gif

My friend AF came riding in this morning in all her regal glory...

Old 11-22-2013, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well I'm on cycle day 18 here and I believe 5dpo cuz I had ewcm and some pain in my left side the same day. Hopefully those were signs cuz I have had that before and it not still start for another 3 weeks instead of 14 days. So hopefully and we dtd righ on schedule by following the ewcm and pain. I hope I caught the egg been trying not to over think and just think bout this none stop this month and it feels good lol

Tags
Trying To Conceive
User Tag List