Do you experience Estrus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-05-2014, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have you seen the Great Sperm Race? It's a fascinating documentary. This is segment four: 

The video basically says, "To see whether estrus was really "lost" during human evolution (as researchers often claim), we examined ovulatory cycle effects on tip earnings by professional lap dancers working in "gentlemen's" clubs. Eighteen dancers recorded their menstrual periods, work shifts, and tip earnings for 60 days on a study web site. A mixed-model analysis of 296 work shifts (representing about 5,300 lap dances) showed an interaction between cycle phase and hormonal contraception use. Normally cycling participants earned about US$335 per 5-hour shift during estrus, US$260 per shift during the luteal phase, and US$185 per shift during menstruation. By contrast, participants using contraceptive pills showed no estrous earnings peak. These results constitute the first direct economic evidence for the existence and importance of estrus in contemporary human females in a real-world work setting."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrous_cycle

So my question for you: Are you more sexually receptive during your fertile window? Do you feel more attractive? And most importantly? Do you take advantage of it? ;)

#2 of 9 Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Last Cycle, I woke up on O day two hours early with an intense desire. So for two hours I quietly plotted, made myself pretty and set my alarm to wake DH up with a surprise. 

I didn't used to always feel this way. I've been working on balancing my hormones for a year. It's definitely an adjustment for both of us, but I like to think that we are both enjoying it. :Sheepish

#3 of 9 Old 01-05-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm honestly confused as to what researchers claim there is not estrus. I worked in research concerning cardiovascular disease and hormones for a number of years (I don't anymore) and the realities of a woman's hormonal cycle were always at the forefront of the research. It's always been assumed that women have estrus by any research I've seen. Heck it doesn't take a study of erotic dancers to figure it out either. There are cellular changes in the vaginal fluids that indicates what stage of a cycle a female (of any species) is in.

Personally, yes, I feel my cycle on my moods. I'm much more interested in the middle of my cycle, much less interested right before my period, ect. 

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#4 of 9 Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

I agree. It seems like it would be very obvious that female humans would go through some type of "heat." We are mammals, after all. That's why I was interested in seeing if more ladies would put in their two cents. Perhaps with all of our artificial foods, artificial lights and modern way of living- women have lost touch with their cycles? 

#5 of 9 Old 01-11-2014, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Omg do I ever experience estrus. I get crazy horny, have orgasms more easily, feel sexier, dress nicer, etc. I even love dh more. I used to chart to avoid and eventually just stopped because I learnedly if I'm in the mood, I am fertile, and if I could give a flying fig about sex, I'm not fertile.

I think people don't know this bc lots of women are on hormonal birth control and don't want to get pg and so have not learned about cycles. I just had to tell people on reddit that what they were talking about was not a woman's natural lubrication but actually EWCF. Nobody knew about it.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#6 of 9 Old 02-01-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I knew my first ppaf was on her way at 28 months pp because about a week before I could not get enough sex!! CD28 now and no recurrence of estrus, so like Galatea, I'm assuming I haven't ovulated (impossible to temp, bed sharing and night nursing!).

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#7 of 9 Old 02-05-2014, 12:55 PM

I've always wondered (but have been nervous about asking) why women can't tell when they're ovulating. I didn't realize that not everyone's libido picked up approaching ovulation and during. I've always known I was headed towards ovulation-land when I'd be driving down the road and the guy's broad shoulders in the pick-up in front of me made me think naughty thoughts. :yum And it's all downhill from there. I can't think of anything else but sex. And I need to where a pantyliner. bag.gif

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#8 of 9 Old 02-07-2014, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
You're not the only one! I joke that I would drag men in off the street if dh won't satisfy me. And I should wear a panty liner, except that they give me he itchies.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#9 of 9 Old 02-08-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post

You're not the only one! I joke that I would drag men in off the street if dh won't satisfy me. And I should wear a panty liner, except that they give me he itchies.

Haha! Me too! I was reading Wendell Berry before bed last night and he wrote about how much he loves women and how he imagined making love to so many women he passed by and how he'd devote years to loving them but somehow, his wife tamed him and he loves her more than he loves women. A kindred spirit, that Wendell Berry, on so many levels.

I often tell DH how much I love men and he asks what I love about them. Mostly at that time in my cycle, it's the physical attributes like long muscled legs, narrow hips, broad shoulders, scratchy faces...mmmm... Can you tell where I am in my cycle? :lol This morning I said to DH over coffee, "Do you remember me kissing you last night and you telling me to go to sleep?" He called me insatiable. :Sheepish

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page