Umbilical Hernia and Pregnency - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2014, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My wife is suffering from an Umbilical hernia, after her first delivery. After considering doctor and get knowledge from internet we decide to repair it after second delivery. Now we are planning for the second baby. We want to know about the pregnancy while umbilical hernia.1. Any risk Factor ? or Pain ? First delivery she had some problems in pregnancy and it was a Ceasarian .

Kishor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 02-18-2014, 04:36 PM

I don't have experience with this, but gabeandjess from youtube has talked about it in her videos. Perhaps look into a belly wrap?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Not sure how helpful this is, but I have one, started during my first pregnancy (have now had three pregnancies). I never had any problems with it during the subsequent pregnancies (except for basically having an "outie" belly button throughout the entire pregnancy).

I have not had it repaired yet, still considering it. I did have one incident where I ended up in the ER because part of my intestine became trapped in it (extremely painful and potentially dangerous), but that was several months postpartum (my baby was 16 months at the time- so, again, not at all during any of my pregnancies). It resolved on its own after I had some rest and was lying on my back for a few hours in the hospital. Opted to not have surgery at that time because of insurance. We do not know what caused that incident, nor have I had any trouble with it since.

ETA- While I was pregnant with my second, my OB said that I should wait til I was done having children to have it repaired, because it would likely need to be done again...not sure if that is true, but that may be a question you want to ask.

Actually, I'm a joyful mom of three and counting! (I was a tad short-sighted when picking my username!) Married to DH since 2006, mom of DS (2007), DD (2009), DS2 (2012) and a new little one expected early May 2015!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:15 PM

I had one from near the end of my second pregnancy. It hurt really bad when it happened, and was really tender as my belly grew in the next pregnancy and was less tender in my 4th pregnancy.  I used belly supports or a large ace bandage to support the weight during those times, and that helped tremendously.  If you don't want a huge wrap, during my 4th pregnancy, my midwife recommended kinesiology tape.  Some brands say not to use their product on pregnant women, and some say it's fine, so be careful which one you buy. I cut the tape about a foot long, then cut it lengthwise so it was just an inch wide, then taped an "X" over the site of the hernia. That worked wonderfully!! The tape would stay on two or three days, even through showers.

I was also told by my dr that it was pointless to have surgery on it until I was done having children.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:04 AM

I developed one in my first pregnancy as well and it became more uncomfortable the larger I got, but was never painful just uncomfortable.  During this pregnancy I notice the discomfort earlier on, but again it never became anything more than discomfort.  I would often wear a belly band or some other light support.  Toward the end of pregnancy I found myself lying down more often to take the pressure off.  I think that if I would have been more careful with my diet and gained less weight I wouldn't have felt as much discomfort in the end.  I have heard the same about the surgery, it may or may not hold in subsequent pregnancies, so best wait until after your last pregnancy.  Good luck!

Tags
Trying To Conceive
User Tag List